Vancouver Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront Hotels

Has anyone come across super deals for these properties at any time? I am Canadian and have a few employee perk programs but none of them bring the rates down under $500 per night (May 2019). I have also joined the hotel loyalty programs in order to receive special offers via email, of which I have received a few for properties other than in Vancouver. Would love to stay at one of these the night before the cruise. We have YWCA Hotel booked for a few nights after the cruise and will stay there the night before if I can't get one of these places for a price I can live with (<$350).

Since we're Fairmont members with occasional access to generous employee discount rates courtesy of acquaintances I've seen a few steals come up for the Waterfront over the years - and with three large hotels close to the port, and the W the least-recently-renovated of the trio, it's likely impossible for Fairmont to fill ALL their rooms even on most cruise nights. Short-notice bookings on bidding sites are likely your best chance for a deal - read up on the dedicated forums about hotel bidding and you'll find ways to identify which hotel by area/star rating/advertised facilities. There really aren't that many 4*/4.5* hotels so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which is which.

But you may need to wait until almost-literally last-minute, and even then hope your cruise is on a quiet one-ship day rather than an insanely-packed 3 or 4 ship day... I would not be surprised if the PP or Waterfront do actually sell out of everything except maybe an obscenely-overpriced presidential type suite the night before a four-shipper!

Depending who you cruise with, there may also be deals available - while generally the per-person pricing of cruises makes for no bargains on hotel rooms for couples, solos definitely win. And some lines, like HAL, make block bookings in cruise season at their favoured hotels like the PP - it may not be a bargain rate, but it could be a lot less than what the market will bear on a busy weekend and therefore be a relative bargain.

Fairmount has special negotiated rates with several corporate customers. Several of the large accounting firms. If you work for a Canadian university or college they have special rates several hotel chains including Fairmount.

Several years ago, I know someone who had access to the IBM rate which was very good there despite the fact that IBM was preferentially using Hilton properties for its staff.

For the general public it is hard to get good rate. Some hotel chains work on a model where they try to fill every room every night. Others work on a model where service is the most important thing and they are happier being able to say yes we have a room available to their most valued customers even if it means they have some empty rooms every night.

I can tell you that the Fairmont Pacific Rim is the best hotel I have stayed at in Vancouver. I have probably stayed at many of the top hotels there and would put this above Fairmont Waterfront or Pan Pacific.

Sorry - don't have any deals.

I can tell you that the Fairmont Pacific Rim is the best hotel I have stayed at in Vancouver. I have probably stayed at many of the top hotels there and would put this above Fairmont Waterfront or Pan Pacific.

DEFINITELY agree with this!

After staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim (we go to annual conferences in Vancouver, in addition to any cruise-related travel), we decided to try the Pan Pacific. There was NO comparison..

Well, there *was* a comparison of course, and the Pacific Rim left the Pan Pacific in the dust in every way. The bathrooms were tiny by comparison. There was NO place to unpack clothing, and IF they think that all travelers like to "live out of a suitcase", fine, but there was no place to put our suitcases to keep them accessible. The elevators were filthy, and remained that way for the entire week we were there.

The Fairmont Waterfront wasn't quite as nice as the Pacific Rim, but it was still quite nice.

As far as convenience for boarding for a cruise, at the Pacific Rim, they just loaded our luggage (and us) into one of their own vehicles, and drove us almost across the street (not quite, given one-way streets) and took us directly to luggage drop off. So the bellman handled our luggage from the time it left our room until it was checked in for the cruise. We just went along to make sure it was all "done right", and our luggage didn't get sent to the wrong ship or such...

The only reason we don't stay at Pacific Rim is if they are totally full.

GC

Thanks everyone. I will keep checking all options until cruise time. I've used Hotwire and Better Bidding many times in the past and always with luck got the hotel I was trying for so that is definitely an option if nothing else comes up. I did check with my TA and she can't help with those properties[emoji53].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow I just checked Pacific Rim and for $938.83 CND for one night I guess it should be exceptional!!!! Sorry but I would sleep on a park bench for a night before spending that kind of money for a bed to sleep in for one night! That is a quarter of our cruise fare:eek:

Wow I just checked Pacific Rim and for $938.83 CND for one night I guess it should be exceptional!!!! Sorry but I would sleep on a park bench for a night before spending that kind of money for a bed to sleep in for one night! That is a quarter of our cruise fare:eek:

Well, it was exceptional :halo:

I had one night free and paid $400 for the 2nd night so it averaged $200 per night. It was a splurge. The previous time I stayed at Pan Pacific was before Olympics and it was dumpy, literally. I know she got a spruce up after I stayed there. It is definitely convenient.