Day by Day Uniworld's Christmas Market Cruise Budapest to Passau Dec 1-8

papa B me

Bubbluz, thanks to you I just reread this thread. We will be on the MT for its 2018 Enchanting Christmas and New Years cruise. Christmas Day will be in Salzburg for a special lunch at the St. Peter Stiftskeller in Salzburg and a stop in Oberndorf. Getting very excited!

I am curious about our last day, which will be in Budapest, in case anyone has done this itinerary, ending in Budapest. We plan to skip the Szentendre excursion, having been there before, and explore on our own. I would like to know when the ship typically moves from its dock in central Budapest to the dock for disembarkation the next day. Just trying to research metro/tram/bus transportation for our day of exploration.

Can't help with your question about docking in Budapest, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

In the meantime, I got curious about current amenities for suite occupants on the Maria Theresa and was given the following (it doesn't look like the complimentary massage is still included, but I'll definitely check onboard):

Personal pick up and drop off of laundry service

Room Service

Special dinner at bar du leopard

Welcome bottle of wine on the 1st day of arrival

Daily fruit and cookie plate

Personal Butler Service (They will unpack & pack your bags on the cruise)

Nespresso coffee machine

Stocked minibar

jklc123,

I don't know when the ship moves but we had a similar situation in Passau and it moved from the city to the hinterlands a little after dinner time.

We saw our boat at the center city pier in Budapest during mid-afternoon on the day prior to embarkation so perhaps a similar time? Hopefully someone can give you more specific data.

If the out-of-the-way pier is Drava, that is a pain to get anywhere from. There is a public ferry that stops there (line 13, IIRC) and it runs about hourly. That will get you to the area of Parliament.

Otherwise there are bus lines that will take you to the area of Heroes' Square and from there you can get the Metro.

Those are the transport options I remember off the top of my head from our time there. At least those are the ones we used personally - we actually took the ferry to Drava (with some adventures in getting there) on our own to embark, and after embarkation we took the buses to Heroes' Square to tour in the afternoon before dinner, and I remember a Metro stop there.

The Marcius 15 ter location by Elizabeth Bridge is way more convenient, though.

Have fun!

Thank you for the original writer of this thread and the one who brought it up again.

I am on Ama viola cruise doing iconic christmas markets - nuremburg to budapest sailing Dec 7.

I joined the new roll call, no response yet. there were some responses from other reviewers regarding my questions.

so far my reading and homework is going great:D:D :)

jklc123,

I don't know when the ship moves but we had a similar situation in Passau and it moved from the city to the hinterlands a little after dinner time.

We saw our boat at the center city pier in Budapest during mid-afternoon on the day prior to embarkation so perhaps a similar time? Hopefully someone can give you more specific data.

If the out-of-the-way pier is Drava, that is a pain to get anywhere from. There is a public ferry that stops there (line 13, IIRC) and it runs about hourly. That will get you to the area of Parliament.

Otherwise there are bus lines that will take you to the area of Heroes' Square and from there you can get the Metro.

Those are the transport options I remember off the top of my head from our time there. At least those are the ones we used personally - we actually took the ferry to Drava (with some adventures in getting there) on our own to embark, and after embarkation we took the buses to Heroes' Square to tour in the afternoon before dinner, and I remember a Metro stop there.

The Marcius 15 ter location by Elizabeth Bridge is way more convenient, though.

Have fun!

Thanks JP. I read your review of your Danube cruise (so well done, as always), so have looked at the bus situation from the Drava pier, just in case. Our last day is January 1, so not much would be open. I'm thinking of visiting the City Park area that day and maybe visiting the zoo, which appears to be open. The day before we should have the afternoon free and could take your favorite tram 🙂 to the parliament area. Of course, we'll need to inquire when onboard about ship movement but wanted to have options ready. And we hope it's not pouring rain, and that we're packing enough layers! We did this itinerary on the "old" Beatrice in late May several years ago -- much nicer weather, but high water caused some excitement. We are repeating for the holiday atmosphere. 🌲