Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

Peregrina651

I agree. I'd rather have the money and it looks like I'm getting it. I guess because of the weird set up of having two ships for one cruise. My TA talked to her Viking amenity agent and she's not allowed to break up the credit but she is can issue us a check after the cruise for most of the credit. $50 must be applied to the first part of the cruise. I'm fine with that. Now I can book the optional tours I want. I'm so glad I checked.

Cynthia

I've been hoping to find something to post to bring this thread a bit higher up the list and it just dropped into my lap.

CharTrav answered a question about the timing of the posting of shorex on MVJ for river cruisers. I'd been wondering about this because of course on MVJ it just gives a very nebulous check back later. So here is CharTrav's experience, with the quote tags removed so it will be seen if someone wishes to quote this post:

quote=CharTrav --- I went back and checked what happened for France's Finest last month. Our cruise started July 11. Our MVJ opened with excursion data including prices on Feb 10 (I found the email I wrote to my Viking TA with a "woo hoo!" about it). The booking window opened about 30 days later (we booked our excursions on March 11; quite sure we didn't dilly daddle). So that works out to approx 150 and 120 days. Does VR open MVJ all at the same time without regard to cabin category or not? I have no idea. We were in a Veranda Suite btw. Hope this helps everybody including you. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been hoping to find something to post to bring this thread a bit higher up the list and it just dropped into my lap.

CharTrav answered a question about the timing of the posting of shorex on MVJ for river cruisers. I'd been wondering about this because of course on MVJ it just gives a very nebulous check back later. So here is CharTrav's experience, with the quote tags removed so it will be seen if someone wishes to quote this post:

quote=CharTrav --- I went back and checked what happened for France's Finest last month. Our cruise started July 11. Our MVJ opened with excursion data including prices on Feb 10 (I found the email I wrote to my Viking TA with a "woo hoo!" about it). The booking window opened about 30 days later (we booked our excursions on March 11; quite sure we didn't dilly daddle). So that works out to approx 150 and 120 days. Does VR open MVJ all at the same time without regard to cabin category or not? I have no idea. We were in a Veranda Suite btw. Hope this helps everybody including you. [emoji6]

It’s the same opportunities for everyone on river- first come first served. Some of the smaller group excursions do sell out, so book what you know you want to do ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for starting this forum. We actually enjoyed the Paris to Normandy Cruise this past April. It was amazing and even the weather held up. We also did the pre Paris and post Loire Valley and it is a must for everyone. We will be going back to both Normandy and The Loire Valley. We also just booked the Avignon to Lyon cruise for November of next year and added the post in Dijon. I’ve just started reading the blog to educate myself on others experiences and suggestions. I’m sure when I finish it will create lots of questions from my readings. If anyone has specific questions about the Paris to Normandy Cruise, shoot.

Thank you all for starting this forum. We actually enjoyed the Paris to Normandy Cruise this past April. It was amazing and even the weather held up. We also did the pre Paris and post Loire Valley and it is a must for everyone. We will be going back to both Normandy and The Loire Valley. We also just booked the Avignon to Lyon cruise for November of next year and added the post in Dijon. I’ve just started reading the blog to educate myself on others experiences and suggestions. I’m sure when I finish it will create lots of questions from my readings. If anyone has specific questions about the Paris to Normandy Cruise, shoot. ��

Our Paris to Normandy cruise is in April as well - how was the weather? (I've been humming the first few bars of "April in Paris" since we booked.) And we're doing the pre in Paris (though not the post Loire Valley, unfortunately). So if you have a trip report you could link here, that would be wonderful!

thank you so much for all of the information. we are ready to book the France's Finest in August of 2020, if you could include that info it would be most helpful

Since this is not a roll call, we are not too worried about year and anyone who has sailed or is planning to are urged to post here, sharing their experiences or asking questions. Whenever anyone finds pertinent threads here on Cruise Critic, they are welcome to add them to the appropriate list of links.

Edited by Peregrina651
For the want of a not the whole meaning was lost

thank you so much for all of the information. we are ready to book the France's Finest in August of 2020, if you could include that info it would be most helpful

Not sure what info you're looking for. This may be useful even if the data is for this year and I do know that the excursions next year are not exactly the same as this year. Here's a link to what I call a day-by-day for France's Finest (starting in Avignon) with excursions, prices, time frames, etc - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thqcbd09bdbtux5/AADkTyIVTozCaKPEc_QKtfi9a?dl=0. No Dropbox account required.

Not sure what info you're looking for. This may be useful even if the data is for this year and I do know that the excursions next year are not exactly the same as this year. Here's a link to what I call a day-by-day for France's Finest (starting in Avignon) with excursions, prices, time frames, etc - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thqcbd09bdbtux5/AADkTyIVTozCaKPEc_QKtfi9a?dl=0. No Dropbox account required.

Char shared this with me as well and it has been very helpful in our planning.

• Like 1

What a wonderful thread. Thank you all for organizing and sharing your information. We are scheduled to sail on frances finest, sept 17, 2019. Paris to Avignon.

Have not read the entire thread yet, but I will.

Larry and Carolyn

Welcome and don't forget to also follow the roll call ALL 2019 Viking FRANCE'S FINEST.

We will be traveling to the south of France on the Viking River cruise in a couple of weeks. My question is to the ladies, can you or can you not bring a curling iron on board? I get conflicting answers about this.

Help!

Edited by USC Wino
spelling
  • Like 1

Do you have an adapter & transformer to handle the power? I remember I tried to use an old (really old - a Sunbeam) shaver on the Viking Atla and I nearly burned it out. It's taken years to get rid of the burnt circuit board smell. Make sure if you use the European outlet with an adapter you have some kind of transformer in the circuit as well.

We will be traveling to the south of France on the Viking River cruise in a couple of weeks. My question is to the ladies, can you or can you not bring a curling iron on board? I get conflicting answers about this.

Help!

Viking's answer is unequivocal: Not permitted on Viking River ships. See this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2683688 post #4 that quotes the Viking FAQ.

Do you have an adapter & transformer to handle the power? I remember I tried to use an old (really old - a Sunbeam) shaver on the Viking Atla and I nearly burned it out. It's taken years to get rid of the burnt circuit board smell. Make sure if you use the European outlet with an adapter you have some kind of transformer in the circuit as well.

Even if you do, you really run a risk trying to use them on board. Things that work perfectly well on land can be a fire/explosion hazard on board. If Viking says they are a no-no, please don't ignore them.

There is an outlet for shavers only in the bathroom. No need for adapters or transformers. Since Viking ships have both 120v and 220v outlets there is really no need to mess around with currency converters.

• Like 1

My irons have dual voltage and I have used them in Italy, Ireland and on a Scenic cruise on the Danube. I didn’t have any problems. I don’t understand why you can’t bring them. If they have 110 voltage, why can’t I just plug into that with my converter plug?

My irons have dual voltage and I have used them in Italy, Ireland and on a Scenic cruise on the Danube. I didn’t have any problems. I don’t understand why you can’t bring them. If they have 110 voltage, why can’t I just plug into that with my converter plug?

Because Viking says they are not permitted.

It has nothing to do with voltage and everything to do with both high wattage and with the proliferation of cheaply made products--a hazardous combination on board a ship. Since the crew cannot test every product that might be brought onto the ship they simply ban them all.

• Like 1

Even if you do, you really run a risk trying to use them on board. Things that work perfectly well on land can be a fire/explosion hazard on board. If Viking says they are a no-no, please don't ignore them.

There is an outlet for shavers only in the bathroom. No need for adapters or transformers. Since Viking ships have both 120v and 220v outlets there is really no need to mess around with currency converters.

Thanks. Hadn't checked the FAQ. Bad me. [emoji849]