AMA Waterways Dress Code

jodyt

My husband and I will be cruising the Douro on the AmaVida in October. Does my husband need a sports coat for evening attire? He has always needed a suit or sports coat on our ocean cruises. How dressy are the Captain’s Dinners on AMA?

My husband and I will be cruising the Douro on the AmaVida in October. Does my husband need a sports coat for evening attire? He has always needed a suit or sports coat on our ocean cruises. How dressy are the Captain’s Dinners on AMA?

Hi,:) no sport coat is necessary (unless he likes wearing one) but dinners are casual. Here is another thread asking the same question.....see some of these replies.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2676763

Have taken two river cruises on AMA, Tulip Time and Christmas Markets. Dress was casual including evenings (but does not mean shorts/ flip flops or sweats at dinner. ) No "formal" nights. The men wore collared shirts/sweaters and ladies seem to dress up a bit in the evening (dressy top/slacks.) Coat/tie definitely not required or widely used by the men. The closets on a river cruiser are smaller than on a ocean cruise line, so take only what you think you'll use and need. During the day, much more casual.

As a rule, over our past cruises, most lines seem to be getting away from the "formal night" where people wore tuxedos and formal dresses. Modern travelers are not into dragging all that with them, and the airline weight/luggage restrictions pretty much limit how much clothing you can take with you. Comfort takes precedence.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I'm on the AMAVida sailing the Duoro now. Most men are wearing long pants and collared shirts for dinner. However, we have a group of men from California that are wearing shorts, tee shirts and flip flops at dinner. Guess they think they are still at the beach! Not sure when AMA started allowing this. Never saw this on our previous cruises with AMA. Husband is furious I told him no shorts per AMA description.

Hi! I'm on the AMAVida sailing the Duoro now. Most men are wearing long pants and collared shirts for dinner. However, we have a group of men from California that are wearing shorts, tee shirts and flip flops at dinner. Guess they think they are still at the beach! Not sure when AMA started allowing this. Never saw this on our previous cruises with AMA. Husband is furious I told him no shorts per AMA description.

I think AMA has lost control over the dining room. While the food was good, the general lack of decorum from our fellow passengers and the complicity of the crew has us wondering if we will ever cruise on AMA again.

See this thread for more: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2673125&highlight=open+seating

I think AMA has lost control over the dining room. While the food was good, the general lack of decorum from our fellow passengers and the complicity of the crew has us wondering if we will ever cruise on AMA again.

See this thread for more: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2673125&highlight=open+seating

Never saw this on 2 prior AMA. Were these men from a group of buddies that booked a special group rate? I've noticed on ocean cruises that groups appear to set up their own others be dammed rules. Any response from AMA?