All Things Avalon

FuelScience

I didn’t know they did Peru!

They do - we have put a deposit down on a trip with them in March 2019 - but unlike European cruises, this one is not a guaranteed departure.

We fly in and out of Lima - and the tour includes Machu Picchu (of course), Cuzco, the Nazca lines, and 3 nights on the Amazon. VERY excited - and just waiting for it to be guaranteed. Just need more people to book, I understand.

Fran

Avalon currently is offering free air on some cruises we are considering taking in 2019. I've read some posts that had bad experiences with Avalon air including inconvenient flight times, terrible connections, and not being able to choose seats ahead of time. Others have said that they got their preferred flights and were able to choose seats ahead of time. The free air is very attractive, but I don't like having no say about the flight connections and would hate to be stuck in the back of a plane. I've read the 'free air' small print but it's confusing. I'd appreciate others sharing their experiences. Thanks!

These are generally left over seats and Avalon has zero control. Don’t plan on good connections but insist you leave the US 3 days before sailing so that any weather or airline screw ups can be over come and you will make the sailing.

This same advice applies for flights booked yourself. You fly out today and get there tomorrow (hopefully)

These are generally left over seats and Avalon has zero control. Don’t plan on good connections but insist you leave the US 3 days before sailing so that any weather or airline screw ups can be over come and you will make the sailing.

This same advice applies for flights booked yourself. You fly out today and get there tomorrow (hopefully)

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected. Free air is appealing, but I don't think the uncertainty is worth it. Living in Western NY we can get direct flights out of Toronto at a great price as long as the USD/CAD exchange rate is favorable. We usually do spend a few days on our own before the cruise to get used to the time change so we're awake and ready to enjoy the cruise. Plus give us some time in case there are any flight delays!

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected. Free air is appealing, but I don't think the uncertainty is worth it. Living in Western NY we can get direct flights out of Toronto at a great price as long as the USD/CAD exchange rate is favorable. We usually do spend a few days on our own before the cruise to get used to the time change so we're awake and ready to enjoy the cruise. Plus give us some time in case there are any flight delays!

But I loved my Avalon cruise, ask for a credit against your cruise!

Ask which air lines they are using - and what the routing is. Last year, Avalon was offering free air on our Flanders Fields tour - but they were using Iceland air, and there was an 8+ hour layover in Iceland. I said "no thanks" - and said I would take a discount on the cruise. I found the flights I wanted, and had my TA call to see what Avalon could get them for (so that I would get the included transfers...). Avalon said if I would pay the difference between their cost for the "free" air, and what the flight was on my preferred air line (Air Canada) - that they would consider that the incentive. We said OK - depending on the cost... We ended up paying $275 pp for our air. Was very pleased with how willing Avalon was to work with us on this.

Fran

Definitely use a good travel agent that will call in and compare schedules for you. Like Franksi said... It's not a take it or leave it deal. The completely free air will usually have a long layover but there are typically upgrade options that are very minimal for a much better schedule. As for seat assignments... Look for united and delta without code shares (operated by another airline). It's getting harder and harder to predict when seat assignments will be available but a good travel agent will call in, have avalon drop flights onto the booking check if they show airport check in only and drop if they are and add new ones until they get what you're looking for. But avalon hasn't done a free air promo in a long while so jump on it fast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I apologize for changing the subject but wanted to give Avalon a thumbs up for taking good care of it’s passangers. My wife and I left Amsterdam last Saturday on Imagery II. Rhine River Cruise. When the ship arrived in Cologne the captain had a meeting with all passengers to let us know that the ship could not go past Koblenz due Tuesday low water in Rhine gorge. We did not miss a castle or excursion because of great customer service by Avalon. Each passenger was given a credit and free optional excursion in Strasbourg. We were transferred to Tranquility II for last three days of the cruise. Avalon did a fantastic job handling the situation.

Dennis

I apologize for changing the subject but wanted to give Avalon a thumbs up for taking good care of it’s passangers. My wife and I left Amsterdam last Saturday on Imagery II. Rhine River Cruise. When the ship arrived in Cologne the captain had a meeting with all passengers to let us know that the ship could not go past Koblenz due Tuesday low water in Rhine gorge. We did not miss a castle or excursion because of great customer service by Avalon. Each passenger was given a credit and free optional excursion in Strasbourg. We were transferred to Tranquility II for last three days of the cruise. Avalon did a fantastic job handling the situation.

Dennis

So happy to hear that and that you took the time to post it. Reading all the positive feedback from everyone on how well Avalon has handled the low water situation has certainly helped us as we get ready to leave on our cruise 2 weeks today!

Dennis

Thank you, still about 5 weeks out! , Being my first River cruise, post like yours are taking the edge off. I know I will be taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our current Avalon Panorama cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg just received an update. We will not be able to continue on to Nuremberg. The furthest the ship can travel is Vilshofen due to low water levels.

They are now offering free excursions to Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg as compensation. We will be able to stay on board each night.

Passengers not doing the following stay in Prague are being given a free night's stay in Nuremberg prior to their flights.

I am quite impressed with the way they are handling this difficult situation. We are having a wonderful cruise.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Our current Avalon Panorama cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg just received an update. We will not be able to continue on to Nuremberg. The furthest the ship can travel is Vilshofen due to low water levels.

They are now offering free excursions to Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg as compensation. We will be able to stay on board each night.

Passengers not doing the following stay in Prague are being given a free night's stay in Nuremberg prior to their flights.

I am quite impressed with the way they are handling this difficult situation. We are having a wonderful cruise.

Glad your enjoying your cruise!

Thanks for taking the time to let those of us yet to sail know what is happening. I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise. Honestly, between this and facebook which usually make my blood pressure boil, hearing all of the positive comments and feedback about how well you have been treated by Avalon have taken the anxiety away. We leave Sunday for a few days in Zagreb, then on to join Avalon in Budapest next week.

Que Sera Sera!

I am a newbie to RIVER cruising. This question is more directed to the ladies. I am ( fingers crossed) doing the Danube Deggendorf to Budapest.

Currently I have observed temperatures are approximately 20 degrees lower F and 12-15 in C than where I currently reside. I am assuming in a months time they will be even lower.

My question is aboard Ship, is it somewhat cool, somewhat warm, or just a nice midrange temperature? On average of course.

I will be packing for 12 days pre and post cruise, and want to ensure I take the appropriate type of clothing.

Thank you in advance.

I am a newbie to RIVER cruising. This question is more directed to the ladies. I am ( fingers crossed) doing the Danube Deggendorf to Budapest.

Currently I have observed temperatures are approximately 20 degrees lower F and 12-15 in C than where I currently reside. I am assuming in a months time they will be even lower.

My question is aboard Ship, is it somewhat cool, somewhat warm, or just a nice midrange temperature? On average of course.

I will be packing for 12 days pre and post cruise, and want to ensure I take the appropriate type of clothing.

Thank you in advance.

Your cruise from Deggendorf (upstream from Passau) to Vienna or Bratislava will have enough water under the keel, the last stretch to Buidapest could encounter low water levels which may involve bus journey.

With regards to temperatures, the secret is too layer. Or TOOPO, Take Off Or Put On.

Your cruise from Deggendorf (upstream from Passau) to Vienna or Bratislava will have enough water under the keel, the last stretch to Buidapest could encounter low water levels which may involve bus journey.

With regards to temperatures, the secret is too layer. Or TOOPO, Take Off Or Put On.

Thank you for your reply! I am not much of a layer person, but alas luggage restrictions call for desperate measures.

But in the actual ship itself, do they try to keep an ambient temperature on the cool side or the warm side?

Thank you for your reply! I am not much of a layer person, but alas luggage restrictions call for desperate measures.

But in the actual ship itself, do they try to keep an ambient temperature on the cool side or the warm side?

We cruised in the first week of May 2017. It was unseasonably cold outside with some rain. Temps were mostly in the 50s with one day in the 40s. We needed jackets and sweaters when we were outside. When we were inside the ship it was comfortable without a sweater or jacket. We just wore our regular inside clothes and we were fine. Have a great cruise!

We cruised in the first week of May 2017. It was unseasonably cold outside with some rain. Temps were mostly in the 50s with one day in the 40s. We needed jackets and sweaters when we were outside. When we were inside the ship it was comfortable without a sweater or jacket. We just wore our regular inside clothes and we were fine. Have a great cruise!

Thank you! I hope I am cruising. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Question about tour provided by Avalon in Prague. I am on the Nuremberg-to-Budapest sailing on April 30, 2019 that includes two nights pre-cruise in Prague and one day of touring. I want to add two more days/nights of touring in Prague on my own, but don't want to duplicate the tour sites that Avalon provides. Can someone who has done the one-day tour in Prague enlighten me on what was included, so that I can plan accordingly? Also, I wonder if I'm better off just skipping the Avalon tour and planning three days on my own or even with a tour company? Thanks!

Question about tour provided by Avalon in Prague. I am on the Nuremberg-to-Budapest sailing on April 30, 2019 that includes two nights pre-cruise in Prague and one day of touring. I want to add two more days/nights of touring in Prague on my own, but don't want to duplicate the tour sites that Avalon provides. Can someone who has done the one-day tour in Prague enlighten me on what was included, so that I can plan accordingly? Also, I wonder if I'm better off just skipping the Avalon tour and planning three days on my own or even with a tour company? Thanks!
We are in Prague, having traveled from Budapest. The included tour this morning was 90 minutes at the Palace, mainly the inside of St. Vitus church, and the grounds. Then we drove to old City and had a walking tour of about 90 minutes. Good oversight, but lots can be done in more depth. They also offered several optional tours, including a culinary walk (received great reviews), Terezine, Folklore dinner, Mala Strana: Prague secrets revealed, and a wine tasting at Melnik. I hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

We have been on 3 Uniworld river cruises........this is the first for Avalon. Very anxious to see how different they are..The one thing that has been bothering me is that i can not get a diagram of the cabins. We have cabin 103 (very bottom) and I can not see what is next to us. You can not enlarge the diagram. This does concern me a little. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it . Tranquility 11 is the boat.

Also, we are staying after 5 days. How much is laundry on Avalon. Its free on Uniworld....thanks