Review Uniworld Legendary Rhine and Moselle 08/22/2018 - 09/03/2018

Ritabob

First, a big thank you for all the updates regarding the weather and how all the cruise companies were dealing with the low water levels. We were checking the location of the River Queen on a daily basis and knew it would be waiting for us in Amsterdam before we left home.

We were on this same cruise, but in the opposite direction (B to A) 6 years ago. It was the end of the season, in November, and was such a great time we knew we had to do it again. Plus, it is a two week cruise so you don't feel rushed.

Day 1

As usual, a Uniworld rep was at the airport waiting to transfer us to the ship. So nice not to have to worry about finding a way to the ship after an overnight flight. We knew our cabin would not be ready until later in the afternoon.(can you imagine housekeeping having just 6 hours to completely turn over 64 cabins?)

Check in took all of 60 seconds, staff stashed our bags, a quick lunch in the dining room and we were off on a mission to explore Amsterdam, eat some famous frites (Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx) and chocolate cookies (Van Stapele Koekmakerij) and to keep moving in the sunshine. This really does help getting over jet lag.

Back to the ship, a few beverages on the top deck, unpacking, and to the lounge for the safety demo and introductions to the staff. Dinner at 7 followed by a nightcap and then to a great night's sleep on their famous Savoir bed. The cabin is not large, okay, it is cozy, but well thought out and we had a space for all of our stuff.

Day 2 Amsterdam

'Morning with the Masters' at the Hermitage followed by either a canal cruise or a 'do as the locals do' Amsterdam walking tour. Having done a canal cruise in the past, and needing to get a few extra steps in to balance out dinners and drinks, I opted for the walking tour. Stopped for some cheese tasting at Henri Willig, some stroopwafels, lots of frites, fresh herring, oh my, so much for thinking the healthy choice was the walking tour. Our guide was very good and had so much to tell us about life in the city.

The ship set sail for Cologne in the afternoon. Later in the cruise we found out the captain chose not to have a full tank of fuel to lighten the load for the shallow parts of the river, Good call.

The cruise overview by the Cruise Manager (Rik) was at 4:30, with an in depth description of what to expect over the entire trip as well as which activities we had to sign up for. Some had a maximum number they could accommodate (bike tour) and other they needed to know how many buses they would need. Welcome dinner at 7. Some people wore dressier clothes than what they wore during the day, but to be truthful, can't remember how many men wore jackets. Can say no one wore shorts to dinner!

To be continued...

RB

Day 3

Cologne

this day was the first we could really see how low the river levels were and how dry everything was. Grassy areas looked like straw, yet people were sitting out on it and enjoying the sunshine.

There was a special event going on so no tour of the cathedral was available. I think there were 4 different walking groups including the gentle walkers. Some went to the Roman Germanic Museum then walked around town, while our group did the walking tour of Cologne and then went for a beer tasting .

The city was hosting some sort of an expo so there were a lot of young tech or gaming followers about.

The River Queen set sail that evening with blue neon lights all along the river.

30784601_cathedral(Small).jpg.b84be67a1c4cd39e3af376e53597e673.jpg

Thank you for your detailed review.

The event was the gamescom, which is the biggest event of that kind for gaming in the world. It ran this year from 21 to 26 August. It is held every year in Cologne.

The blue evening lights are a standard colour I think as they did that when I was there in the evening around three years ago. Quite impressive, I like it.

Looking forward to your next posts.

notamermaid

Day 4

Koblenz

the morning started out cool with a bit of rain. We had signed up for a guided biking tour and I was having second thoughts. A few riders backed out because of the rain, but once we were on the bus there was no backing out. The bus drove for about half an hour up the Moselle to a small village, Lof. We were fitted to our bikes and off we went . The rain stopped, the sun came out, the extra layers of clothing were packed away and the bike ride was wonderful. The scenery is amazing and we only had to share the roadway with cars for just a few kilometers. The rest of the time was on well paved pathways beside the railway tracks or road, through the vineyards and small villages. 29km later we were back in Koblenz at the ship in time for a well deserved beverage and then lunch.

The morning tour for those not biking was a walking tour of the old city. The afternoon was at your leisure, or for 39 euros a visit to Marksburg Castle was available.

Around dinner time the ship set sail up the Moselle. It was slow going around the locks, but after that all was beautiful scenery.

The original itinerary was to have the ship stop in Aiken overnight and continue to Cochem in the morning. From past experience it was known Cochem celebrated a fall festival on this date with much merriment, craziness, and fireworks. Not conducive to guided walks and safety, so the ship continued on up river to Bernkastel, and would stop in Cochem on the way back.

Day 5

Bernkastel

As usual, a guided walking tour of the town was available that morning. An exclusive wine tasting at Dr Pauly-Bergweiller cellar was include. Wine instead of mid morning coffee...why not? A warning here...if you have any allergies to damp musty air, give this a pass. And if you enjoy real (Niagara) ice wine, don't get excited about what they call ice wine.

After lunch another organized bike ride was available, but this time only expert riders were to sign up. Hubby went, but said it was an easier ride than the one the day before.

As usual, at 6:45 the port talk in the lounge, followed by dinner at 7, followed by a nightcap, followed by blissful sleep.

132251859_riverqueen(Small).JPG.dccf2dc99e9b63bc11934a64fdc67935.JPG

2031377476_bernkastel(Small).JPG.e98b99673ccc66a3b15fa051d9e7a0f9.JPG

Day 6

Oh, my, trying to do a review a month after the trip, things are getting fuzzy. According to our excursion overview page this was the morning we sailed along the Moselle and the afternoon was in Trier.

While were sailing this morning there was a lecture in the lounge by our Cruise Manager, Rik, on the European Union.

The Moselle is such a beautiful river, with vineyards up fairly steep sides.

The ship docked in Schweig and the bus ride into Trier was not very long at all. The bus drove up a steep and curvy road to the top of some vineyards and an overlook of the Roman amphitheater and the city. Time for some photos and back on the bus down to Porta Negra, the well preserved Roman Gate. We chose to go off on our own so have no idea about the walking tour.

This was the day we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. When we got back to our cabin it had rose petals on the bed with chocolate hearts, a chilled bottle of sparkling wine and a beautifully decorated cake.

Day 7

Luxemburg

The ship is docked in Schweig and a lovely place to go Nordic walking with the Wellness Coach at 7am. A note here about the 7am activities. Cabins on board the ship are 'cozy'. not the easiest for two people to get around when you are both trying to get ready, so my sweet husband gets up just before 7 and leaves for whatever daily activity the Wellness Coach has planned. Yoga, stretching, Nordic Walking, etc. Most days he is the only participant. He loves it because he gets a one on one class and feels he is doing something good to counter the extra local beverages he consumes. I have a half hour to myself to get ready for the day. Works for us.

Buses left for Luxemburg, with a walking tour and a visit to the WWII American cemetery or a longer walk without the cemetery. A third bus did a scenic drive to visit the Archaeological Park Roman Villa Borg and to the Saar Bow River Bend. It was a foggy morning so when we got to the Saar, it was eerily beautiful.

While everyone was touring the ship relocated to Mehring.

282614282_saarbend(Small).JPG.0acb75b6a66a0632f8fc16c8917dc019.JPG

Day 8

Cochem

Decision time. Choices. Morning... 1) Walking tour and castle visit, up hill and steps 2) Vineyard hike, very steep sandy roads, 2 hrs up, 1 hr down Afternoon...Wine tasting and Meet the Mayor of EdigerEller.

And we did none of the above. Having done this cruise once before we had the luxury of going off on our own and not feel like we missed seeing any of the sights that were part of the organized tours.

530498959_cochem(Small).JPG.4c1e16abb986b65b3225ee592129cc05.JPG

Day 9

The day everyone has been waiting for...Castle Alley! The Gorge! Major deflation....it was a cool and grey day. No blue sky for all the castle photos. BUT! the ship cruised through without any problem, and the German sausage and beer for lunch on the upper deck was a great meal.

Rudesheim tour in the afternoon with a wine tasting, or a cable car ride up to the Niederwald Monument.

backtracking. we started the morning in Boppard with an early morning stroll. It was nice to walk about as the town as it was waking up.

Evening entertainment in the lounge after dinner was a group called La Strada. Very talented and enjoyable. As soon as they were finished they were hustled off board and the ship set off.

Day 10

Speyer.

Sorry to say, I have no recollection of Speyer. I spent the day in our cabin. I was sick. Nasty cough that sounded like I was going to cough up a lung. Just wanted to sleep. Bummer, I missed the vinegar tasting.

There was an optional (69 euro) bus tour that went to Heidelberg in the afternoon.

Hubby wandered about on his own, sat in the church and had a 'private' organ recital as the organ was being tuned. Then he set off on a bike and toured along the river and the large park near the dock.

Remembering the last time we were here, the church, Kaiserdom, is a treasure, and the Technical Museum is a must see for anyone who likes planes and engines and things that move.

Day 11

Strasbourg, France

Another day spent in bed. But hubby joined the do as the locals do walking tour.

Optional (85euro) Black Forest tour was an all day tour returning at 6pm.

For those not on the day trip, there was a duo entertaining in the lounge around 5pm. A young singer accompanied by a fellow with an accordion . She was very good singing in both french and english.

Once the entertainers left and the day trippers were back on board the River Queen set sail for Breisach.

Day 12

Alsatian Wine Villages and Colmar

A cool Sunday morning. We chose to take the bus to Colmar. Hubby took the regular walking tour and although I was feeling better, felt the gentle walking group might be a better fit. Turns out we saw just as much and a bit more, but at a slower pace. As it was Sunday, we could not go into the churches, nor were any shops open.

Farewell Dinner this evening. Captain and staff looked dashing in their fancy duds.

Time to start packing. A few days earlier a letter was in each cabin requesting everyone to confirm their flight numbers and times or if they were going to continue with DIY plans and if they needed taxis. We were issued coloured tags for our suitcases so staff would know when to collect them and put them out to the bus or taxi. Very civilized and smooth running system. Our flight was not until the afternoon, so although we had to vacate our cabin by 8:30, we were able to have a leisurely breakfast and then wait in the lounge until our ride to the airport. It was fun to watch the next group of passengers board and start exploring their new home for the next two weeks.

I am happy to answer any questions about this cruise, or Uniworld. (this was our 9th)

RB

Photos

Deutsches Eck

Boppard

Colmar

Traben Trarbach

1315474201_deutscheseck(Small).JPG.5430725640ab884b9235ee0d69c9227a.JPG

1846742978_boppard(Small).JPG.77cf7140cc354819e8b3c2dd351a703a.JPG

522833650_colmar(Small).JPG.fa2f4aa403fa59036d15314ea6039657.JPG

813580513_traben-trarbach(Small).jpg.a71b708fcf755f41496e7398082aef48.jpg