Galveston Traffic Flow Question

villagenut

Will be cruising out of Galveston for the first time and will be using Park and Cruise. I can see where you enter the terminal from the east and proceed westward in from of the terminal for baggage drop off. After that I can't tell how the traffic flows from there. It seems that you have to go the entire length of the terminal and then turn left back towards Harborside drive. When i get to the intersection leaving the terminal onto Harborside, at that point i am somewhat confused. In order to reach Park and Cruise i would have to turn Left/East on Harborside and head back towards 25th street. There does not appear to be a stop light when you exit the terminal back onto Harborside. That seems like a nightmare. OR, do i have the flow all wrong. I'm sure traffic is crazy and i don't want to "look like a tourist" LOL and make turns that will disrupt the flow. Can anyone explain the how it all flows. THANKS!

Will be cruising out of Galveston for the first time and will be using Park and Cruise. I can see where you enter the terminal from the east and proceed westward in from of the terminal for baggage drop off. After that I can't tell how the traffic flows from there. It seems that you have to go the entire length of the terminal and then turn left back towards Harborside drive. When i get to the intersection leaving the terminal onto Harborside, at that point i am somewhat confused. In order to reach Park and Cruise i would have to turn Left/East on Harborside and head back towards 25th street. There does not appear to be a stop light when you exit the terminal back onto Harborside. That seems like a nightmare. OR, do i have the flow all wrong. I'm sure traffic is crazy and i don't want to "look like a tourist" LOL and make turns that will disrupt the flow. Can anyone explain the how it all flows. THANKS!

I don’t think you will have any problems in Galveston. Try to get to your parking lot by 11am. Most lots provide shuttle buses to the terminal. You pretty much get on the shuttle, tell them your ship name and relax.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are correct in flow using Park and Cruise assuming you are dropping bags first . It’s easy either way drop first or park and walk across street .

If you drop bags don’t go harborside off 45 past causeway . Go straight in to town on I45 stay on Broadway to 22nd and left straight into port entrance . Cross harborside and follow signage to terminal .

If you are dropping luggage at Terminal 1 you can exit at 25th Street. If you are dropping at Terminal 2 you would use the same entrance at 22nd Street and keep left as you bypass the first terminal. You should then be able to exit right onto Harborside directly in front of Terminal 2. There is no light but there is typically a traffic control officer present or barrier cones set up for safety as you exit.

No matter where you exit the terminal area go right and make an immediate left on 28th. Go one block and turn left on New Strand. All of the garages open onto either New Strand or through a fenced area that gates off New Strand. There will be an employee in the street with a clipboard. They will direct you which garage to park in. Incidentally, I always go to the terminal first and drop my wife and all the bags off. By the time I park and walk over to the terminal she is already through security. Be sure you have your passport and boarding pass with you. Nothing to it. I hear a lot of negative comments about traffic in Galveston but we always try to get down there around 11 or 11:30. It can take a few minutes to get off Harborside but the A\C and radio both work very well in my truck so who cares. I’m on vacation.

If you are dropping luggage at Terminal 1 you can exit at 25th Street.

We will be using terminal 1. If i understand this correctly, i should be able to cross harborside at the light on 25th and then make a right into the alley/road where Park and Cruise is located. Is that right?

We will be using terminal 1. If i understand this correctly, i should be able to cross harborside at the light on 25th and then make a right into the alley/road where Park and Cruise is located. Is that right?

Yes, that is correct. It's the alley just before the Railroad Museum. Once you turn in you will pass a collection of old trains before you get to the parking lot. There will be attendants out in the street to direct you in once you get close enough.

I don't remember being allowed to cross Harborside on 25th St on the morning of the cruise. As you exit the terminal on the 25th, due to debarkation traffic, you will be directed along and just north of the railway lines and need to make a U on to Harborside just a little east of the 28th.

IMO, The advantage of Park n Cruise is you can just walk to the Terminal with the luggage. I stopped doing the routine you are trying to follow several cruises back. Now I just come on 25th from Broadway and left on to the alleyway aka New Strand and let the Park n Cruise ppl guide me to parking, park, pick up luggage and a short walk to the terminal. The entrance to the Carnival passenger terminal is just to the left as u walk into the terminal on the 25th.