Galveston ground transportation options

miketracy

Wondering on what people have used as options for ground transportation from IAH to the pier. Weighing my options since my departing flight home leaves too early to catch the Carnival shuttle (by 40 min.)

I know in Miami, cab companies offer flat rates to and from airport/pier. Houston or Galveston offer the same deals?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wondering on what people have used as options for ground transportation from IAH to the pier. Weighing my options since my departing flight home leaves too early to catch the Carnival shuttle (by 40 min.)

I know in Miami, cab companies offer flat rates to and from airport/pier. Houston or Galveston offer the same deals?

We just did this exercise a week ago. From IAH there's really not much choice other than a taxi or one of the shuttle services, if you can't take the Carnival transfer. Taxi fare would likely be upwards of $100 though - it's about a 70 minute ride.

If I understand you correctly though, it's getting from Galveston back to IAH that's your problem? If so, you can get a one-way car rental back to Houston (although we found it impossible to do in the other direction). If you take this option be careful which location you rent from - ours was Budget in Texas City which turned out to be a $50 cab ride from the pier.

Yeah it's the ride leaving the pier back to IAH that's the issue.

Maybe I can get in touch with a few people who are in the same situation and get a large Sprinter Van to share costs. $100 U.S. to get home = $130 CDN!!

Thanks for your reply!

Maybe I can get in touch with a few people who are in the same situation and get a large Sprinter Van to share costs. $100 U.S. to get home = $130 CDN!!

Thanks for your reply!

I hear you! The great rate I got on the rental car ($48/day CAD) was obliterated by the $50 USD cab fare it cost to go collect it!

Maybe see this discussion. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651337

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 3:05 PM, miketracy said:

Thanks for your reply!

you can rent from Enterprise at the port one way to IAH......no drop charge

SOME OPTIONS: 

Galveston Express 

Galveston Limo. 

Super Shuttle.

Action Limo. 

Galveston Cruise Transfers Co. 

Uber. 

Cabs. 

Lyft.

Cruise lines provide transfers between Airports and Terminals 

only on the same days of cruises lines having ships in port 

In town service with Cabs, Uber, Lyft, hotel in-house transfers , and Galveston Trolleys 

Enterprise Car Rentals 

Avis Texas City

I have reserved an Avis from Texas City (18 miles North of the port) for $26 all in for the day of debarkation. Hope to take an Uber (estimates show $28- $30) to pick up the car. Even if i have to take a $50 cab it still should be my best option because we have a later flight so we plan to visit NASA and kill some time. Otherwise shuttle service or a straight uber fare would be better. I just don't want to spent 6 or more hours at the airport. This is our first time to sail from Galveston. I hope that it is not our last, but so far with the added expense and logistics of transferring  from the airports and the lack of direct flights from my home airport to Houston makes Miami and FLL cruises look like a much better value.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:26 PM, Cousin Eddie said:

I have reserved an Avis from Texas City (18 miles North of the port) for $26 all in for the day of debarkation. Hope to take an Uber (estimates show $28- $30) to pick up the car. Even if i have to take a $50 cab it still should be my best option because we have a later flight so we plan to visit NASA and kill some time. Otherwise shuttle service or a straight uber fare would be better. I just don't want to spent 6 or more hours at the airport. This is our first time to sail from Galveston. I hope that it is not our last, but so far with the added expense and logistics of transferring  from the airports and the lack of direct flights from my home airport to Houston makes Miami and FLL cruises look like a much better value.

Galveston Express sometimes offers a shuttle to NASA depending on the size of your group. They usually put you on the first shuttle of the day and then pick you up later in the afternoon for the ride to the airport. www.galvestonexpress.com

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 7:30 PM, marshalltp said:

you can rent from Enterprise at the port one way to IAH......no drop charge

On 11/23/2018 at 10:30 AM, ssb said:

Please Bring us up to date on this and for how much . 

I just tried this for a Sunday in March, and for their cheapest car it was $147!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:29 AM, miketracy said:

Here's a breakdown of the costs but I recommend if you go with a shuttle to call to confirm the times if you're on that tight a schedule...