Easiest way to get from Canada Place to Granville Island.

SadieN

What’s the easier way to get from Canada Place to Granville Island?

Bus? Train?

Also, how to pay? Do we need a card or can we pay cash?

Route 50 is the bus that takes you from Waterfront Station (about half a block form Canada Place) to the entrance to Granville Island.

Here is the map for that bus route: http://infomaps.translink.ca/Route_Diagrams/144/r050.pdf

The translink web site has a search engine where you can search the schedule.

In Vancouver you can pay on the bus using exact change (enter at the front door). The cost if paying with cash or buying a one-time ticket is $2.95. If paying using our stored value card it is $2.30. If your over 65 or under $1.90 or $1.85. Tickets valid for 90 minutes.

Both replies above are accurate but miss out on the 'funnest' way to arrive - boat! Both of the local watertaxi firms run scheduled routes around False Creek, with a few direct and several more indirect ways to get to Granville Island. If you can walk 1.3 miles, just head straight down Hornby Street from Canada Place to the nearest Aquabus dock. It's a bit pricier than the bus at $3.50 cash fare, but you can get discounts on return tickets or, if you have a large party, buying a strip of prepaid tickets and using them for everyone.

Route 50 is the bus that takes you from Waterfront Station (about half a block form Canada Place) to the entrance to Granville Island.

Here is the map for that bus route: http://infomaps.translink.ca/Route_Diagrams/144/r050.pdf

The translink web site has a search engine where you can search the schedule.

In Vancouver you can pay on the bus using exact change (enter at the front door). The cost if paying with cash or buying a one-time ticket is $2.95. If paying using our stored value card it is $2.30. If your over 65 or under $1.90 or $1.85. Tickets valid for 90 minutes.

What is the cost of the bus and do they only take exact fare?

Info is in thread above ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

One new feature the buses and train do accept Visa and Master Card for single trips. If I was to travel to Granville Island from Canada Place I would take the Canada Line train (the one that goes to the airport ) get off at Olympic Village (3rd stop I think) and walk 10 minutes west and you will be on the island. Make sure you walk north from the satiation until you hit False Creek. Turn left or west and walk along the sea wall. Very easy. If you get lost ask anyone for directions. Being born in Vancouver I always take out of town guests there. It our favourite spot in town ant time of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

^I'm guessing that you approach Granville Island from a totally different direction and have never actually walked this route, or at least not for a long time Schooner. It's not 10 minutes, not even remotely close - even the entrance of the 'island' is well over a mile from Olympic Village Station, let alone the extra distance getting to the Public Market etc. Maybe you walk over twice as fast as Joe Q Public does on average, but the route you describe is closer to 30 minutes at normal walking speed.

Heading directly north to the Seawall from that station also can't be done - you can backtrack under the bridge and work your way up onto Spyglass, but it's a lot quicker to head west on 6th to Moberly first then head up Millyard and Ferry Row to the Seawall.

The most direct route involves jinking along the various small residential streets and through Charleson park (still over 20mins) rather than the Seawall, but for folks not familiar with the area it's a horrible walk as the oddly-angled intersections and curving streets make for a very confusing route.

Google Maps is almost accurate in this area now, but still misses a couple of shortcuts even after sending their 'pedestrian cam' along the paths - Apple and Bing maps are even worse. In short, without a local who's actually familiar with the area I'd avoid this route like the plague. I'm only familiar with it personally thanks to the extended Seawall shutdown for repairs over winter - we had to walk through the many little streets to get to Edible Canada and the theatre several times, and if there had not been handy detour signs up I'd have likely gone off-track at least once or twice myself.

You could get the #50 bus in the Canada Place area and go down Granville St. and walk in to Granville Island. 1 Zone cost for the ticket depending on time of day, Senior or not and if it is a weekend.

https://granvilleisland.com/bus

It is a long walk as mentioned by Martincath. Once over the Gran. St Bridge it is a curl under the Bridge walk to get to Gran. Is.

CVU - remember all buses are one zone fare all the time regardless of time of day.

Cheers!

Dennis

:):):):)

I think I said that in the post. Cost depends on time or day or Sr or not. Thanks!!

Thanks for the info.

Know we walked to Granville Island once. We were staying at the Hyatt and passed by the culinary institute

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it is a fair walk though. But doable for sure!!

Or the water taxi on the downtown side can take you right to the area. Hornby St is one pick up area coming from Hyatt side of town. Aquatic Center another.

Only one water taxi stopped at the Aquatic C. before, unless changed now, I think it was Aqua Bus. No difference unless you get a return ticket then you need the same Company.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but to take any transit you can now just “Tap” your credit card. HOWEVER, don’t tap a wallet with multiple credit cards! Or you’ll wonder who else rode the bus with you when you get your Visa statement.

Our transit is amazingly easy to use! The Drivers are the best.

(TBH the walk from pier to Granville island is nothing to brag about, I recommend a pass on that.)

And good call on heading to Granville Island! Fun for everyone! Check out some of the shops not directly in the main building as well.