Alaska-Once...maybe but Not again

TNCruzer56

One of our most enjoyable cruises was to Alaska from Seattle . This was in 2004,so some things may have changed, ie. time in port, port fees.

We sailed on Princess,which was known at that time ,and perhaps to this day, that Princess had a long-established reputation as to the excellent quality of cruises to Alaska.

I seem to recall full days in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. Yes, the arrival to Victoria was later in the afternoon,so we counted that day as a sea day. In retrospect, I would have enjoyed going into town and having afternoon tea or dinner at the Fairmont Victoria hotel.

One thing we vividly recall was the scenery of Alaska.

As we were leaving Juneau in the early evening, we sat looking at the wake,surrounded by mountains and the vast sky. It was truly a peaceful time.

I would suggest to anyone thinking about an Alaskan cruise is to do some research by looking at CC passengers’ s videos , reading guide books and/or travel websites and considering all cruise lines with an Alaskan inventory. Check the itineraries of the cruise lines.

Choose a cruise to suit your interests,not necessarily out of cruise line loyalty.

I would really like to return to Alaska, but my husband is hesitant due to our older age and some health issues as the trip would include a cross country flight taking us very far from home.

But, I still have excellent memories of that experience we had of visiting Alaska.

When it comes to Alaska a land portion will greatly add to your experience.

Alaska is amazingly easy to navigate by car in summer. There are only a couple of highways and it is impossible to get lost and the roads are never crowded and the scenery from highway is amazing. If you want to venture into the parks, Denali, Wrangell, Kenai are all fairly easy to access from highway.

Hubby has told me when we go back to Alaska he doesn’t want a cruise at all, just a 2-week land based trip.

We did Alaska as a land vacation: flew into Fairbanks, took the Dalton Highway up to the Arctic Ocean, flew back to Fairbanks, took the train down to Denali. Stayed outside Denali and then took a bus into the park and stayed a few nigths in the park. Stayed in Talkeetna for a few nights and did a day of salmon fishing and then took the train to Anchorage. Rented a car and drove down to Seweard, stayed there for a few nights and took a few glacier cruises from there. Stayed at a ski resort along the way and watched whales in the Turnagain Arm. Stopped at the state fair before we left. We loved loved loved it. Like a cruise, we had activities planned for most days: a riverboat cruise in Fairbanks, getting pulled by sled dogs, a jet boat ride up to the rapids, etc. We just didn't have to race back to port after each one and could lollygag as we wanted.

My brother took a cruise to Alaska: round trip from Seattle. He did not like it: it was his first cruise and his first time to Alaska and he didn't like either.

I am still thinking about a cruise because I haven't seen Juneuau or any of southern Alaska. But I appreciate that if you cruise for a cruise, Alaska might not be the best, and I definitely see that if you cruise for Alaska, you are only going to get a little itty bitty bit of Alaska.

I’m so sorry you did not have a great cruise. We just got back from an Inside Passage and Glacier Bay Cruise on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, and have to say it was one of the best cruises we have ever taken. We have cruised with NCL (Haven) and enjoyed it, but would not want to sail on a large ship in Alaska. We chose the smaller one with a pool with retractable roof on purpose. Great itinerary and ship! Got up close to the glaciers too. Hopefully your next cruise will be better. 94d7aa9f19397d631a9d2d164f091443.jpg

53a881908bf356ddd03f7afd78303fc5.jpg51de66279113410ab4243435d5fcae22.jpga429b1e947f3a2c9a09c299ceae0b7ab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As you know, we were on the same cruise. I agree with you to some extent I was disappointed but wife really enjoyed it.

Juneau we took the whale watching tour. We saw a mother bear and 2 cubs on the way. Four eagles at the port were flying around and engaging in aerial combat, cool. Saw lots of whales, 10 by count of unique whales, on came up then dove within 10ft of the boat. Weather perfect.

Skagway took Dyea Dave tour to Carcross. Enjoyed the history of the Klondike and got an appreciation of what people went through to get there. Road trip was long and parts were boring scenery wise but Emerald Lake was nice. Musher camp could have been skipped, it was like visiting a trailer park with barking dogs. Glad we took the train back down, that was well worth it. We had lunch at a truck stop, bison burger and beer, $30. Weather perfect.

Glacier Bay was enjoyed, we had a balc so didn’t have to fight crowds for a view and take photos. We saw a huge chunk calve. Plenty of time at Marjorie, second one was a little short. Weather perfect.

Ketchikan our rainforest hike tour was canceled so we stayed onboard. Short port time, wife went down to the Tongass store and got a few gifts then went to the spa. Weather raining.

Victoria was bad port time. Took the bus to Butchard, glad to say we visited but I’ve been to better gardens and didnt have to rush through in the dark. Weather ok.

I knew going in that Vancouver would have been better than Seattle but cost was less for me. I booked the black friday deal and got all the extras, plus I had cruise next certs to use up. We also have companion pass on SW so flying in to Seattle was much cheaper.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise, glad to have crossed it off bucket list but wouldn’t go again from Seattle. We enjoyed our time on the ship, great food in Cagneys, Moderno and Teppanyaki. Drank a lot on the UBC, mojito and martini bars were great. Did you try a lavender martini, wow.

6f78ceca94361a5b86ad7eebf3c19407.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with others that a one way tends to be much better.

That said, the 2019 Bliss Alaska itinerary looks to be a much better trip than the 2018 one I just did. The itinerary sucked, but I knew that going in.

Alaska is still my favorite cruise stop. Like a lot of the Caribbean/Bahama ports, a day there is all you really need. That's contrasted with a lot of the European, Asian, or Hawaiian ports, where most travelers spend at least a few days in each of those areas.

It is pricey though, and weather is fickle. Mother nature too. I did whale watching, and the Tracy Arm Explorer this time. Unfortunately, all the whales were pretty far away and we had to divert to see Dawes, which also had quite a bit of ice so even the small boat couldn't get that close. Victoria was a bust as it was raining and time was so short. But, that's the area. I don't hold it against Alaska (and Canada) because I know how beautiful it can be. I've been there before a couple of times on Princess. Different times of year. No salmon running or bears during those times, but the weather was great, and being on Princess, which is the 800 lb gorilla of Alaska cruising, had great port times and Glacier Bay experience. Got closer to the glaciers in GB on the big cruise ship than the smaller Allen Marine boat did to Dawes (I also advocate for a balcony if you go to Glacier Bay so you don't have to fight the crowds; one reason why I booked the Tracy Arm Explorer excursion was cuz I wasn't fighting people on the Bliss and I knew that giant ship wasn't getting close to anything).

I'd build in the extra cost of flying to/from Vancouver/Anchorage vs Seattle into the cost of an Alaskan cruise.

Sure I`ll get some neg pushback, but really did not enjoy the trip that much!

#1 Price-It was the most expensive cruise we`ve ever taken. We even had an oceanview vs the previous 20+ balcs.

#2 Crazy port times. Juneau arrived at 3PM-Bliss was in the way. Beautiful Victoria-arrive 6PM!

#3 Basically 3 1/2 sea days.

#4 Way overpacked

#5 cheapest lunch ashore with a couple of $6.00 beers was 40 bucks

# 6 Only saw the slight hump of a humpback whale, even though our guide kept saying "he`s gonna jump any second" and several blowholes

#7 saw 2 bears about 300 yards away for 20 seconds

Beautiful Wife wanted to do it-So North, we went

Some swear by it, but-Back to the Med for this Cruzer.

Well, at least you can say you've done an Alaska cruise and you know you don't need to do another! Hopefully the other parts of the cruise (food, drink, shipboard entertainment) were pleasant. As to cost, I haven't cruised anywhere I thought was not expensive!

For myself, I could honestly do the Seattle to Alaska and back over and over. In fact, we're doing it for the third time in two days. I enjoy sitting and watching the beautiful scenery go by as the ship sails past. The port excursions and wildlife are secondary to me, the feeling of getting away to somewhere peaceful is my favorite part of the experience. That's why we go late in the season, hoping for lighter crowds and less pressure.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

Done Alaska twice out of Seattle. Was our first cruise and loved it and enjoyed the second one also. First time, warm and sunny. Second time cool, cloudy, and drizzly. Felt like we got to see the real Alaska on that second one. We were first of June both times. And wold love to go again.

What really gets to me about many itineraries is the short and late port call in Victoria. I love Victoria and would be happy to visit again, but I'd like to get there earlier than 6:00 p.m. The worst timing I have seen is in the new Joy itineraries, arriving at Victoria at 9:00 p.m. and departing at 11:59 p.m., which amounts to little more than an hour ashore.

I think it is fair to say not everyone is going to enjoy the destination equally, and much may depend on where one is from. Having sailed on 15 cruises all over the world, I think it is fair to say more of the cruise ship staff say Alaska is their favorite destination than any other...

I think it is fair to say not everyone is going to enjoy the destination equally, and much may depend on where one is from. Having sailed on 15 cruises all over the world, I think it is fair to say more of the cruise ship staff say Alaska is their favorite destination than any other...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has been one of the most informational post on CC I have read. Thank you for starting it. We have had family members who have done the one week cruise and others a month or more land based. Both loved Alaska! Each needs to find there own adventure! We will likely wait until we can take the time for land based trip and keep cruising to warm weather locations.

I don't get the Alaska thing, either. Scenery gets old FAST. And I couldn't imagine an entire cruise just focused on looking at mountains and ice.

I like my Caribbean - to me that's vacation.

I'm with you! We have done it three times.....two 7 day and one 11 day with more time and ports. But for me? Once was enough! Our kids wanted to see it so we repeated the trip.....but for me? It is all about sun and beaches or the beautiful Mediterranean! But there must be a HUGE demand to keep so many ships in Alaska and at those prices.

We did enjoy having the Garden Villas to view the scenery....when it was not raining that is! But I also agree that the scenery gets old fast!

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your cruise. Thanks for posting this to warn others. I’d like to note that 6 years ago when I researched this cruise, princess and Hal seemed to be the most highly recommended lines, since they put their Panamax ships on this route and can get close to the glaciers on the scenic glacier days. Princess did a great job in Alaska, and if ncl has shortened part times I’d strongly recommend a different line.

In terms of whale watching, about half the people really loved this experience. The other half grew bored after a half hour of just seeing splashes and tails (it’s rare to see a whale actually breech the water). Our provider, Harv and Marv, were great but I learned that I also didn’t love whale watching either and wouldn’t do that again.

Our favorite excursion was a helicopter to dogsled on a glacier. It’s best to book this directly through temsco to save money. The employees told me the weather is more stable in Skagway than Juneau, and they recommended booking as early in the day as possible so if it is cancelled, they will try to squeeze you in later in the day if possible.

We actually first decided to book this trip at the last minute since it was so inexpensive, and we’re in for quite a sticker shock when we realized how much the excursions/land tour to Denali would cost. So it’s important for people to realize this and understand it prior to booking.

Hope your next trip is better.

This has been really interesting to read. We've done Alaska 4 times on NCL 2002 on the Sky 2004 on the Star 2014 on the Pearl and 2016 on the Jewel. Been lucky enough to be in Glacier Bay with sun and no clouds and everything visible. We have never been on a Caribbean cruise and are currently debating where to schedule our next cruise in 2019.

My heading would read "Alaska Once, definitely, but probably not again."

Alaska was naturally stunning and we had a mix of good and bad weather, but I didn't like it as much as I expected to. Funny thing, expectations. I would suggest everyone to go once and definitely do the White Pass train tour from Skagway. The 11pm hour-long sunsets were amazing. We had a glacier hike tour canceled due to weather and I understood the decision for safety, but we ended up on a crowded, bland Mendenhall Glacier tour and we were kidney-punched by some little old ladies. (True story. We laugh about it now.)

I just didn't care for Alaska all that much. Stunning, but not a place I enjoy being.

I live in Seattle so I constantly check for sales on any of the lines that cruise from here. It was actually the first cruise we ever took (because NCL used to do a military discount and we were pretty broke!) and we couldn’t fly anywhere. We had an inside stateroom (never doing that again!!) and it was last minute so we paid about $300 a person. We had a great time but it was colder in late August. I really don’t t like kitschy things and most of the ports in Alaska are just that. I really don’t blame you for not wanting to go back.

The prices are astronomical for a balcony room right now with any line. It makes me sad that I can fly for free to Miami (we have a great miles program) and cruise for less to the Caribbean. It’s just such a hassle.

What a greatly informative thread! My husband and I always said Alaska cruise would be great when we retired. We both love to fish and take pictures. I just retired and Ive been feeling bad that I have been thinking that I would rather lay on a warm beach with a drink!

We enjoyed our Alaska cruise. We are from Vancouver, so alot of the landscape we see is 2nd nature to us. Although the glaciers (hubbard) were spectacular.

We are glad we took this cruise, but probably would not venture back anytime soon.

Looking forward to the sun of the Caribbean or new itineraries left on our bucket list.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the cruise, and I understand the objections. We went on the Bliss in August for our first Alaska cruise, and we’ve already booked for next year on the Joy.

The funny thing is - I don’t remember that much about the ship! We had an aft balcony and we spent most of our time out there, just watching the scenery.

Scenery is not for everyone. I took my son on a train trip when he was young, from San Antonio to Dallas. 30 miles outside of San Antonio, he had read all the books, done all his puzzles and eaten all his snacks. I finally just said, “Just look at the scenery!” He said, “There’s no scenery out there - it’s just cows and trees.”

So, to each his own.

I had looked at the map before we sailed and realized we were barely seeing Alaska. The cruise from Seattle is basically like driving from Shreveport to Dallas, stopping at three small towns, and claiming you’ve seen Texas. But, it’s a sampler.

It’s really all you get on any cruise, except Bermuda.

We enjoyed the change from beaches and mountains to mountains and ice. We did the Bering Sea Crab Fishermans Tour, which was great, and saw flocks of bald eagles. We did two whale watching tours and saw enough sticking out of the water to know it was a whale both times. We did the White Pass train - actually the bus up, and the train back.

So, we had fun - and we had family who were rookie cruisers in tow and survived that, as well.

I was more insulted by the prices in Seattle than Alaska. Alaska, I understand - everything comes by ship, limited selection, and so forth. Seattle just gouges people during cruise season because they can.

I would like to do a one-way or a combo land-sea, but I don’t have the time off available. So, we will do “taster” cruises until I do, even though I may have to contend with Seattle.

The port times were very strange. I didn’t like getting up earlier on vacation than I do at home! We were in Victoria in the evening, but it was still light enough to go whale watching.

The glaciers were amazing (we sailed down Endicott Arm) and we went to Mendenhall Glacier in port.

I do see how some will look and see majesty, and some see a pile of ice.

It is quite an investment just to find out you’re not impressed with ice.

I hope everyone will read both sides and research it. It’s not cheap. It’s not sandy beaches and margaritas. The weather can be iffy. We were blessed with rain in the early morning that stopped just as we headed out for excursions. For some, it’s a life-changing experience. For others, it’s a cold, wet cruise.

Enjoy the Caribbean! We do, as well. We’ve just added a new destination to our list.

Kevin

0c2a607dfeb5f8b6130cd928291264e7.jpg

(Still not convinced this isn’t their largest employee in a whale suit.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to hear that so many did not enjoy Alaska. I have done at least 5 cruises. I enjoyed seeing how the towns have changed. My mother told me of dirt roads in a couple of the towns. We even took all Alaskan cruise where we had to take Zodiac boats ashore and get out in the ocean to reach the shore. We were visiting the Aleution Islands which is a very different type of cruising. I myself am getting tired of the Caribbean all the time. I generally stay on the ship when I am on a Caribbean cruise. Just nice to get away from the cold.

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

We Loved our Alaska cruise so much we did it again the next year

Yes it can be more expensive but Wow we had such a great time

Saw so many whales including pods of orcas, saw a few bears, lots n lots of eagles and just the whole Beauty of Alaska is Amazing

And the King Crab we ate in port was the Best we’ve ever had....and yes it was pricey lol

It’s been quite a few years since our last Alaska Cruise and it’s definitely on our list to to again for a third time