Yachtsman's Caribbean itinerary changes Dec, 2018

Pudgesmom

Looks like Soper's Hole is still quite damaged due to the hurricanes. Here's the change to the itinerary I received today for our December cruise.

"We look forward to welcoming you on Wind Surf’s upcoming Yachtsman’s Caribbean voyage. We are writing to inform you of a port change that we have made to your cruise. If you booked a Star Collector back-to-back cruise, this notification only pertains to one segment of your voyage.

Instead of stopping at Soper’s Hole on Tortola, we will stop at Road Town on Tortola and Norman Island. For your convenience, we have provided the new and previous itineraries below.

0?ui=2&ik=f7312a2afa&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1608168514739092874&th=16515cbe63fdbd8a&view=fimg&sz=w1600-h1000&attbid=ANGjdJ8RAqs27yeVTdQVm9cJLILJVqSsq5Sm9c3YRKs45Vj74yu_IagEqJSWBq7v_DgrYzoRDOP2KHiGTVVy-HUVuECX8oY-wfgqxMJYWV98ezXWFWdfa4Z9qrs2Bc4&disp=emb

We are making this change because we recently conducted an assessment of ports in the Caribbean that were affected by last year’s hurricanes. Unfortunately, we believe Soper’s Hole is not ready to welcome tourists. As you may know, Hurricane Irma caused significant destruction in the British Virgin Islands, and Soper’s Hole is not yet rebuilt.

Instead of visiting Soper’s Hole on Tuesday, we will stop at Road Town, which is on the other side of Tortola. From there, you will be able to spend the morning exploring Tortola. In the afternoon, Wind Surf will reposition to Norman Island to give you some time to enjoy the beach and the ship’s Watersports Platform. To accommodate this change, we have rearranged arrival and departure times in Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda, but we will still offer all the same experiences that we had planned.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause. As always, our primary goal is to provide the best voyage possible for you."

I'm fine with a needed change, but as a beach all day kind of person, quite disappointed. We will have barely a couple of hours in the morning at Tortola, will need to be back on the ship at noon, then spend the best part of the day sailing, only to arrive late afternoon at Norman Island. Doesn't really work for us at all. We would have much preferred to spend all day in one location, rather than get off, get on, get off, get on. Why not just head for Norman Island first thing in the morning?

In addition to that, we will be sharing Road Town with the Queen Mary II and a Disney ship... Oh well, we will be on vacation.

Edited by Pudgesmom

We are on 1/5 for 14 days, I am thrilled with the change new stops for us and I adore more sailing time. However, now worried about Disney and the Queen being there. Need to check that out. Love the idea of Norman Island my father used to love sailing there. Happy Sailing

I don't see the QMII near there on our 1/5. She returns to NYC from Caribbean on 1/3. Does not appear that Disney Fantasy will be there either. Don't know about any of the others but those two, no.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We are on for New Years Eve, departing as you arrive Strenz. We planned to go to Norman Island anyway from Sopers so we arent too disappointed with the change. I follow some BVI boards on social media and seeing the state of Sopers Hole today, the change doesnt come as much of a surprise. The dock still has plywood boards covering the holes as walkways and I assume the WS was planning to provision/fuel up there; neither are available currently at Sopers.

But I agree with Pudgesmom, just head straight to Norman for more daylight hours there. I suppose we will just head over to Pussers in Road Town, grab a few painkillers and a bite then head back. The MSC Preziosa is in port with us but wont arrive until 10am.

Take a look at BVItourism.com . There is an inter island ferry from Hannah Bay Tortola to Norman Island at 10 a.m. .I think WS would be ok if you're really wanting to get there early and up for an adventure. I would ask for your passport and location where ship will tender. Looks like a 5 minute cab ride from Road Town to Hanna Bay.

Take a look at BVItourism.com . There is an inter island ferry from Hannah Bay Tortola to Norman Island at 10 a.m. .I think WS would be ok if you're really wanting to get there early and up for an adventure. I would ask for your passport and location where ship will tender. Looks like a 5 minute cab ride from Road Town to Hanna Bay.

That's a good idea. I was looking at that or possibly a charter from Roadtown over to the new Willy T then drop us off at Norman. The only issue/risk with the latter is if we board and WS wont allow us to meet the ship later at Norman, the cancellation on a charter is tight.

I think they'd be pretty flexible based on past experience. Try Gary who owns Kuralu charters. We used him for a snorkel trip a few years ago and went to the Indians and Jost. He's out of Road Town and has a website. Really a nice guy and his wife packed the best lunch for us!

I don't see the QMII near there on our 1/5. She returns to NYC from Caribbean on 1/3. Does not appear that Disney Fantasy will be there either. Don't know about any of the others but those two, no.

Both of those ships will be there on 12/4. Not sure what you're saying about the fifth. I checked two sources, one of which for each was the cruise website, and they will be there, the other being the website that is generally correct for crews. Not sure where you got your information.

Norman Island is only about a one to two hour sail from Road Town with a small sail boat. I have done it many times. It should be much faster on the Wind Surf.

That's not the issue for me. I booked the trip for all beach days with one sea day. We will try some of the above suggestions for a charter.

I think they'd be pretty flexible based on past experience. Try Gary who owns Kuralu charters. We used him for a snorkel trip a few years ago and went to the Indians and Jost. He's out of Road Town and has a website. Really a nice guy and his wife packed the best lunch for us!

I've sent him a message. Thanks for the lead,

Strenz and I are going 1/5. I replied to you meaning to reply to her. You have my deepest sympathy. We were just in Alaska and a couple of the big guys were in Ketchikan. Walmart runs a shuttle between the pier and their store. The number of people who go is astounding. We found a great local bar!

Thanks! We used Kuralu last year but they were departing from West End. Not sure if that has changed but Ill reach out. We enjoyed our day with them. Worst case, I know of some power boat operators that Ill reach out to and work in a stop at Peter Island on the way to Norman.

Worst case, we enjoy the daytime sail on the Surf over to Norman. Either way I will have a drink in hand!

• 2 weeks later...

No. Looked over the weekend. BTW, I found out that to print all of the excursions listed on "Shore Excursions " on website just do a CTRL+P on the page. I struggled with expanding each excursion and then copy and paste until one of the phone reps told me this. Would it be too much to ask to just have a print button?

No. Looked over the weekend. BTW, I found out that to print all of the excursions listed on "Shore Excursions " on website just do a CTRL+P on the page. I struggled with expanding each excursion and then copy and paste until one of the phone reps told me this. Would it be too much to ask to just have a print button?

Ha, yea a print button would be nice!

They just added post-cruise excursions to my sailing when I checked My Windstar today. Hopefully that's sign of more to come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've sent him a message. Thanks for the lead,

Are you on the New Years eve Wind surf trip? If so, did you end up booking this or another charter?

We are on the New Years eve trip and would be interested in the Indians and getting to Norman Island earlier.

Are you on the New Years eve Wind surf trip? If so, did you end up booking this or another charter?

We are on the New Years eve trip and would be interested in the Indians and getting to Norman Island earlier.

Hi, We are. When I call to make the final payment today, I want to first confirm with Windstar if we are permitted to meet the ship at the next port.

We will be there several weeks before you.

Just as an update. Called to make my final payment last night and inquired about moving on ahead from Roadtown to Norman Island and meeting the Surf at Norman. They are checking and will get back to me. I'll report back here.

One thing to keep in mind as well, if you do book a private charter, you'll need to ensure that they'll drop you off at the Pirates Bight (Norman), not just snorkeling. This is where you an catch a dinghy/tender back to the Surf.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I asked Windstar via email about debarking in Road Town and meeting the ship later at Norman Island. The answer is yes but to arrange when we board the ship. I think were gonna pass on arranging a private charter and just go with the flow. But thought I'd share just in case. For anyone that sails soon and tries this, let us know how it goes.

Dear Deborah:

Thank you for your inquiry. You are able to leave the ship and return at a different port. When you check-in, please ask to speak with the Guest Relations Manager on board. They will assist in making the appropriate arrangements.

Happy sails,

Windstar Cruises

180⁰  From Ordinary