The Elbe river 2018 - not just water levels

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

As far as Viking are concerned, we could close this thread for this year. Viking have cancelled all their Elbe cruises in 2018. Sadly, so far there has not been significant changes of the far too dry weather and the water levels keep staying too low for ship traffic on the Elbe.

Good to hear from you again here on our normal board. A pity it is sad news. Although Viking is a large - I mean large - corporation it will nevertheless hit them a little financially. I wonder how the crew are doing? Will they get paid for the whole season? Are they laid off early to be re-hired in the next season? I hope nobody is too much affected by this.

Elbe ferries must be struggling as well.

Oddly, this morning, the level at Dresden shows a sharp rise. Has it rained in the Czech Republic or are they possibly just letting a wave of water from the reservoirs through?

notamermaid

On 10/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, notamermaid said:

Has it rained in the Czech Republic or are they possibly just letting a wave of water from the reservoirs through?

They sent just one wave downriver, I am not aware of significant rainfall in the Czech Republic. I spent one day yesterday in the Elbe valley around Bad Schandau. Have never seen the Elbe that shallow there. Nevertheless, a calm sunny day, autumn colours in the forests, beautiful. Too much of a pity that no cruise traveler could see that. Some cayak and rubber boat paddlers could.

Thought as much. And the river at Dresden is back to its "normal" low level again.

I heard the odd news yesterday: the Spree is flowing backwards! Something to do with a weir/lock and the differing amount of water in the Havel and the Spree. Strange things are happening...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

On 3/7/2018 at 2:49 PM, CroisiEurope America said:

Is the Elbe Worth Cruising on? We think so! You have two of Europe's most interesting cities as bookends in Prague and Berlin, with some really historic and scenic cruising in between. Here's a taste of an Elbe River Cruise:

For what it is worth, our 2018 season is nearly sold out on both the Elbe Princesse and the Elbe Princesse II, so we have plenty of guests who believe it's worth giving a go!

Thanks for the video

Sooooo.... is it true that Viking has cancelled all 2018 Elegant Elbe cruises, but CroisiEurope continues to cruise?  Are the CE ships different than the viking ships that allow them to cruise in shallower water?  Just curious.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, SBJB8184 said:

Sooooo.... is it true that Viking has cancelled all 2018 Elegant Elbe cruises, but CroisiEurope continues to cruise?  Are the CE ships different than the viking ships that allow them to cruise in shallower water?  Just curious.

Thanks

Yes and no. Viking have cancelled all remaining Elegant Elbe Cruises this Year. Croisi Europe are still operating some (I am not sure, if all) of their Berlin - Prague Tours, but in the way I described earlier in this thread: They sail on the channel Berlin to somewhere near Magdeburg, do some bussing then and continue sailing from Litomerice into Prague on another ship. So they do not cruise the Elbe either. 

Indeed the ships are a bit different. But that does not do much difference, both Vikings Beyla and Astrild as well as Coisis Elbe Princesse I and II draw some 80 to 90 cm. Good, but not shallow enough for the Elbe this year. 

• 1 month later...

With rain finally having reached all of Germany for a few days in a row, the Elbe has also gained some depth again. Yet, for this year as far as I know, the season has ended. We can only hope that next year will bring better conditions to the river.

AnhaltER1960,

thank you for joining us with info and updates about the river levels. I am sure I speak for the fellow river cruise enthusiasts if I say that your help has been much appreciated. Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

The following article's topic you will quite likely be well familiar with. For the benefit of all who are interested in this region that has its own special Christmas traditions, here is a picture gallery on the Ore Mountains: https://www.dw.com/en/the-ore-mountains-sparkle-at-christmas/g-18122572

notamermaid