Upgrades?

jumelle

Just wondering if any past Windstar cruisers like myself have ever gotten a cabin upgrade? It is listed as a member "benefit".

It may be that you have to ask.

I've read that this can be arranged IF one asks on embarkation and IF an upgrade is available . . . . . i.e. if there is an empty cabin.

It won't be to a suite, though!

When we thought back to our cruise on the Wind Star (our third cruise with Windstar), we weren't aware of this benefit if one is a member of the Yacht Club, and we weren't offered an upgrade.

We did move cabin in the end as we complained about the noise!

:)

I guess it is worth asking although the upgrade would only involve a move from Deck 3 to 4! They also give 5% off which isn't bad. The prices are at an all time low! We are booked on the Pride for Panama Canal cruise.

Actually, it may not even be up a deck. The upgrade policy is that they will "upgrade your standard stateroom or suite to the next highest category at no cost." On the Star, they have basically 4 categories, 2 on each deck. So if you have a B category they would upgrade you to a BX which is just a cabin nearer to the center of the ship. If you have a BX cabin then they will upgrade you to an A cabin which is near the front or aft of the ship.

Last year on the repositioning on the Breeze we were offered an upgrade to a balcony for $200 pp we grabbed it, we were in the cheapest cabins, we upgraded to the best positioned balcony. It was great we loved it and loved that repositioning. $1000 pp to a balcony on the motor yachts is not within our budget on a normal cruise. On the sailing yachts I have refused upgrades, we adore the bottom deck, the calm rocking at night is the best sleeping aid ever.

Happy Sailing

We did the BTB on Star Pride from Aruba to Costa Rica last year and booked a cat.S2 (233). We were one of the very first onboard and did request an upgrade if available. Later in the afternoon after I had just finished unpacking everything, I was offered an upgrade to a balcony for $500 per person. Knowing that the difference in cabin size is same (except for having a large open window floor to ceiling) - we weighed having to repack and unpack and do it again on the next leg of the trip at perhaps another $1000 - we refused. We loved the location as it turned out - we were the first to know what was going on every day - because we were so close to the recep. desk.

Yes, you do have to ask... and it probably depends on how many WS cruises you have been on. After our last BTB ending a week ago, we are now working on our 8th cruise with WS... I would still rethink moving if I have already unpacked - but maybe the offer gets better?

The upgrade offer is good on embarkation day. You have to ask for it, sign up at guest services, and wait...and wait. Don't unpack. After everyone has embarked, upgrades are offered in relation to your position on the list. It's like musical chairs or cabins. If you take an upgrade, your cabin is then offered to somebody, etc. It takes time. On my most recent cruise, we put our name on the list. However, after waiting a long time, we decided to stay put and unpack. It was getting close to dinner time (7pm) and we wanted to take a shower and put on clean clothes. As it turned out, we loved the location of the cabin. This spring we are on b2b on the STar Legend. Booked the same cabin for both cruises. Not packing up and moving to a new cabin is terrific.

On other cruise lines, past guests often get upgrades before arriving for the cruise. Some lines offer upgrades as you check in. That way, once you get your luggage, you can unpack and start enjoying the cruise. Waiting to maybe get an upgrade seems a bit odd. I especially enjoyed a upgrade on a recent cruise ( not WS) from a window to a suite.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked for and received an upgrade (YC member) last Fall on Legend. Upon checking in to the ship and getting our cruise ID cards I went straight to reception and said [with a smile and almost flippant demeanor] that if they were giving away no charge upgrades to balcony suits I'd happily take one on the port side, midships center on deck seven. The young and very friendly lady at reception smiled and told me to check with her after we'd departed Barcelona to see if my request could be accommodated. Well, we got the upgrade and our balcony suite was exactly as requested (suite #318)!

We thanked the young lady at reception that arranged the no charge upgrade for us and as we hadn't unpacked a thing before sail-away all our bags had made it to our new 'address' even before we had.

I really could care less about a French balcony suite as my wife and I spend very little time in any cabin with or without a balcony on a cruise that visits a new port every day. We've sailed the 'three sisters' many times under the Seaborne banner and now twice as Windstar ships. We've never had any difficulty not having a balcony but I did enjoy the extra light and occasional face full of wind even a French balcony affords. Would I pay extra for a French balcony on our next Windstar cruise? No, but if our friendly receptionist is on that cruise I'll say hi with a smile and say - remember us?

I asked for and received an upgrade of 1 category so that our cabin was on the same level, but more centrally located. We did have to wait awhile for the musical chairs of cabin rearrangements but it all worked out.

On a previous cruise I complained about our room after 1 night and was offered another one - it was one of those tapering rooms on the Windstar ship. It was also very noisy. The ship was sold out, but someone was unhappy and left the ship, so we were able to take their room.they were unhappy because they were not allowed to smoke in their room (really?!). I heard them complaining as they were standing in line in front of me at reception.

I have also upgraded to a suite on the Windsurf at check in, but we did have to pay an extra $1000 to do so.

• 1 year later...

We have twice been upgraded before the trip. in each case our TA contacted me and said that WS had upgraded us. I'm not sure why. In one case the ship was lightly booked and I speculate that they just cleared an entire section to make things easier for the crew. In the other case I suspect that they were selling out on the less-expensive cabins and had tons of higher level left and decided to move up some frequently passengers to make room to sell more of the cheapest cabins. But this is just my speculation.

I have also put in for an upgrade upon boarding, once we were moved to a similar cabin on an upper deck for no charge. Twice I was offered an upgrade at an extra charge, and I turned that down. I was once offered an upgrade to a balcony cabin, but the price was high enough that I declined.

I have been offered many, many upgrades. We are 22 timers with WS. On the Surf we like being down on the low deck. Less rocking, great sleeping and we have never experienced noise. In January we were offered a double upgrade and we accepted we are trying the 2 deck up and middle, we will see. Grateful we were cinsidered. On our one and only motor yacht experience we were offered a balcony, midship for $200pp we grabbed it and we loved it. In the Caribbean I think a balcony is a must on the motor yachts, in the North Atlantic no way ( sailed the North Atlantic my entire youth in Massachusetts ) especially in off seasons. Certainly all subjective, but it is nice to be asked. Happy Sailing

Our TA offered an upgrade to a balcony cabin for 150$ per person on our coming Breeze cruise. If the balcony cabin is midship, we will take it, as the price looks quite fair ... :)

Short update: No balcony cabin was available in midship position, so we decided not to take the "advantage". They put us on waitlist, if something midship might become free.

No problem for us ...:)

We booked Star Collector: Beauty of Borneo, Indonesia and the Philippines - 25 days Jan 2 - 27, 2019 in April as an S Category - Deck 4 Forward. In July we received an unsolicited / complimentary upgrade to BS1 - Deck 6 Midship Balcony. We gladly accepted and are looking forward to the cruise! This will be our 4th WS cruise. Our first was on the Wind Spirit in 2014 (we met Strenz on that cruise).

Hi Mikelinga, Yes, it was on the Spirit, Tahiti, I do not remember if you did the Pacific crossing or not. That was one great trip. Wishing you a fabulous cruise great about your upgrade. We are on the Surf 1/5-19. Anything to get rid of January being from the NE. Excited. Your cruise certainly sounds great 25 days! Have fun, stay well. Happy Cruising. Susanne

• 2 weeks later...

YC member, sailing on the Pride Dec. 1, third WS cruise. Ship is not sold out. Got my documents and no upgrade for me. We are in 135, what I was assigned when I booked. Does Windstar ever give you an upgrade when you board the ship or do they always let you know ahead of time?