pulmantur trip from athens to dubai

tagabukid

the trip starts on 11/22/2018. it stops in alexandria for about two hours, then goes to port said. it said that you cannot board it in port said unitl 9 pm. So, we have time from 7 am to 9 pm. My question is, what is the best way to travel from the port of alexandria to the port of said if we want to do the sights of giza (alexandria), and cairo? i would appreciate a reply from those who have done this itinerary, or have booked this and have plans for visiting the sights in egypt. thanks in advance.

tagabukid

• 4 weeks later...

I would do a ships excursion if I were you...or any private operator would take to Cairo and return to Port Said.

I have done overnight tour from Port Said to Cairo...but 1 day is risky with traffic...plus Egyptian customs can be slow in getting you off the ship in a hurry.

Take a ships tour if you can.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on this cruise as well as the Malaga to Athens portion just before this. We can't wait! We were on the Zenith on the Santo Domingo to Lisbon cruise mid-April. It was a great time.

We are trying to figure out the visa requirements. It looks like for US citizens that we may be able to get the visas at the port, but I'm not sure. The travel agency refers us to a visa service but I'm not sure that we need it. I looked a the website for the individual countries and it looks like if we were flying to each country we could get the visa I the airport. No mention of arriving by ship. Any thoughts or experience?

• 1 month later...

Katy and Peter. We are Canadians and doing this tour Athens to Dubai. It's not quite clear about the visas but it seems that we can get them through the cruise ship upon arrival. In Egypt we will take a shore excursion offered by the cruiseship. Glad to hear the positive comments from previous passengers. Does anyone play bridge, canasta or mahjong?

I'm a Canadian going on the cruise in Nov. I contacted Pullmantur directly and was told that they could not offer any suggestions about the visas. In other words, I'm on my own. I believe we need to get visas beforehand for Jordan and Egypt. Does anyone have an update.

I'm a Canadian going on the cruise in Nov. I contacted Pullmantur directly and was told that they could not offer any suggestions about the visas. In other words, I'm on my own. I believe we need to get visas beforehand for Jordan and Egypt. Does anyone have an update.

We are plain vanilla US citizens. Not naturalized or anything other than US born. In our research we seem to not need visas before arrival in the various countries. Getting good info is tough. Visa requirements change occasionally and there are wierd rules sometimes. We wrote to a few of the countries’ embassies to get info. In my research I found that for one county if you were a Belize citizen of Lebanese origin you had different requirements than a non-Lebanese origin Belizean. That’s why I put plain vanilla US. Countries have there own visa quirks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what info I am gathering, upon disembarking most cruise lines, you get your visa then. Because Pullmantur is a cheaper, smaller cruiseline, do they offer the same service?

Pullmantur doesn’t seem able or willing to reply to this question. In some ways I don’t blame them because the passengers are from many countries and each country that we visit has its own requirements for all of those countries’ citizens. In my research I found that as a US citizen I can get a visa on arrival. Whether Pullmantur will play any part is unknown. My focus was if I had to get my own visa before arriving in the country. When I was in China last year I had to have a visa before leaving home. The cruise ship couldn’t so it for me. They did arrange for the other countries that we visited. If there was a charge they added it to our bill. But this all depends on politics. If for example Oman has a problem with the US over something,they may change requirements on the day before our arrival. Pullmantur can’t be responsible for that. This isn’t meant to frighten people but to remind folks that we do live in a political world. I will board the ship expecting to be able to obtain my visas on arrival. But there is a very small chance that things could change.

Hi all

We found the following information on Wikipedia and it exists for many different nationalities including US, Britain, Australian & New Zealand citizens.

For Canadians please click on the following link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Canadian_citizens.

For all others go to Wikipedia and in the search bar enter "Visa requirements for {appropriate} citizens"

Hope you also find this useful.

Katy

This is the info that I have. The Jordan visa cannot be done online. The visa has to be glued into the passport. Therefore, you have to mail it in. The cost to me would be around $150 Canadian. I just might pass on that visa and stay onship. The Jordan embassy in Ottawa has not answered my phone calls. Egypt can be done online. That one seems simple. Oman, I'm still not sure about. The cruise line said that Oman gives the cruise itself a visa and it is therefore not needed. New visa rules were put into place in March with Oman. Not sure yet about the e-visa. Let me know if you hear of anything different or new. Thanks

The Ncl Star did similar itinerary to this last year....no visas were needed before boarding,the ship sorts it out...Egypt standard visa is $25 at entry points....would expect the ship to add it to your on board account.

Jordan is done by the ship.....The Star group used Jordan Horizons for Petra & Love Egypt Tours for Safaga.

I'm booked on the return leg..Dubai to Athens.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Pullmantur is about one of the only ships that do not do visas. I'm pretty sure about that! On the other hand, I have not gotten any replies from anyone who has done a Pullmantur cruise and needed a visa for any country they visited. It would have been nice to know if they could get the visa after embarking when passing through Egyptian security, or Jordan or Oman.

Finally got a few answers, but just like what Pullmantur says, I really cannot confirm anything. I won't know definitely until we arrive in the countries. I've decided not to get any visas!

Egypt - answer from Canadian Embassy - get one upon arrival

Oman - answer from Canadian Embassy - get one upon arrival

Jordan, you get the visa upon arriving according to the US embassy. Canada embassy says you have to get one before you show up. Pullmantur finally came back and said that you get the visa in Jordan upon arrival.

Finally got a few answers, but just like what Pullmantur says, I really cannot confirm anything. I won't know definitely until we arrive in the countries. I've decided not to get any visas!

Egypt - answer from Canadian Embassy - get one upon arrival

Oman - answer from Canadian Embassy - get one upon arrival

Jordan, you get the visa upon arriving according to the US embassy. Canada embassy says you have to get one before you show up. Pullmantur finally came back and said that you get the visa in Jordan upon arrival.

That’s pretty much my plan using the latest research for US citizens. I think since we arrive at Aqaba by sea it may be free. It’s so difficult to pin down answers. I’m hoping for and expecting the best. If it turns out otherwise I’ll deal with it somehow. The only thing that would really bother me would not to see Petra. Gigantic box to be checked off on my bucket list. Since Pullmantur doesn’t do Cruise Critic get togethers we will need to set something up ourselves. We finally got our flights done. Oakland California to London Gatwick on Norwegian and then Gatwick to Malaga for the first part. Coming home for me is Dubai to Istanbul to San Francisco on Turkish. Victor will do Dubai to Hong Kong to San Francisco on Cathay Pacific. It will be around the world for him. Thank god for airline miles.

That’s pretty much my plan using the latest research for US citizens. I think since we arrive at Aqaba by sea it may be free. It’s so difficult to pin down answers. I’m hoping for and expecting the best. If it turns out otherwise I’ll deal with it somehow. The only thing that would really bother me would not to see Petra. Gigantic box to be checked off on my bucket list. Since Pullmantur doesn’t do Cruise Critic get togethers we will need to set something up ourselves. We finally got our flights done. Oakland California to London Gatwick on Norwegian and then Gatwick to Malaga for the first part. Coming home for me is Dubai to Istanbul to San Francisco on Turkish. Victor will do Dubai to Hong Kong to San Francisco on Cathay Pacific. It will be around the world for him. Thank god for airline miles.

This is what we found for the Jordanian visa;

Arrivals at Aqaba, either through the port, the airport or at the crossing from Israel or Saudi Arabia, are granted a free visa to Jordan. There is no obligation associated with this visa, provided that they leave the country from the same border and within 1 month of arrival, and that they do not need to renew their visa.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there

We are Ken and Phill living near Malaga in Spain. We are on this and the previous cruise from Malaga to Athens. This will be our 4th cruise on Horizon and really looking forward to it.

Got nowhere with Pullmantur customer services regarding visas, who firmly put responsibility on the passenger which is a little unfair as normally special rules apply to cruise passengers. As far as I can make out, all necessary visas are obtainable at the point of arrival and should be free of charge for cruise passengers. That's for UK passport holders and I would assume it's the same for US and Canadian passports too.

If anyone has questions about Horizon we will be happy to help. One thing we would say is that they try to push a drinks package upgrade as soon as you are onboard - unless you are a drinks brand oficionado, don't bother as it's an expensive option. If there is a particular drink you prefer you can buy it one at a time for a small upcharge.

Looking forward to a Cocktail get together - first round is on us LOL.

Ken & Phill

• 1 month later...