Update on Bliss GoKart, water slides, reservations, etc.

gambit57

Just got back from the Bliss. I appreciate all previous posters reporting back, and I want to do the same. Some things have changed.

It was suggested that I try to get there early and make reservations via the app while connected to the ship's wifi. While I could connect to the ship's wifi from outside, I couldn't make reservations via the app. I couldn't do it using the touch screens either (Deck 5's forward screen on the right when facing the elevator's has a broken card scanner; the other side works).

Instead, I was directed to Q starting at 11 AM. One line to make reservations for the Go Kart and Laser Tag, another line to make entertainment reservations. Restaurant reservations were in another dining room. Book dining reservations early if you can. Those lines really sucked.

Unless you have a big party, on my sailing, you really didn't need reservations for the Go Karts. The weather might have had something to do with it. They do have limited hours. There are only two tandem karts, and one of them doesn't work properly (they said it's been wonky for a couple of trips now). No reservations for the tandems. They just block off a few hours and only run the tandems. With just 2 karts at a time, expect a wait.

Location of stairs to Go Karts is in the back by Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Don't go through the sliding doors. There's a lighted and flashing sign, but it's surprisingly hard to see. Going up to the mini golf area is a great spot to take pictures of the karts on the upper deck. The lighting is a lot better and you get way more angles.

They have blocks for shorter folks. Friend went that isn't 5 feet (yes, she's an adult). They recommend 54 inches minimum. There's no power steering so it does take a bit of muscle to turn in some corners so skinny kids, even if they're tall enough, might have issues. The other thing is the lack of visible signs. I did see a kid of about 12 just slam full speed into a lady (she looked hurt) because he missed the checkered flag until too late. Those people in that other post weren't kidding about kids being a problem.

Kids under about 16 probably shouldn't ride it, unless they've got decent karting or driving experience. However, many adults also lack decent driving skills and awareness and probably shouldn't ride it either.

Part of the issue is that there's just no good place to pass. If you've got some drivers who just want a leisurely joy ride and to pose for pictures, it messes things up for those trying to get the best lap times. The workers acknowledge this is an issue.

I was stuck behind a guy who insisted on traveling smack in the middle of the lane. Left no room to pass. I was inches from him for two laps and bumped him once accidentally when he randomly slowed for no reason. My guess is that the workers noticed because as he went sort of wide in one of the bigger openings, he suddenly stopped and I was able to squeeze by him. I know he saw me riding his tail and still refused to move over so my guess is the workers slowed him when they got a chance to let me pass. The boost button doesn't appear to do anything.

Wear black and waterproof. I got soaked because it was drizzling now and then, plus, condensation seems to collect on the back of the ship. The soot from the stacks also falls down onto the track. I was wearing a white shirt under my partially zipped jacket and my wife had a white fleece on. We came back with big black splatters everywhere. Other riders during clear sky days said they still had problems with condensation and the soot. Aft balcony person told me the soot falls on part of their balcony as well, so they have to just sit waaaaay back to be able to enjoy their balcony.

Didn't get to try Laser Tag because it's only open from 5 PM - 10 PM. Was busy with dinners, shows, etc.

The water slide that uses the floaties is suitable even for little kids. Yet it's still pretty fun for bigger kids and adults. Lots of colors and lights. Better than Disney's AquaDuck even if it doesn't go as fast as a whole. You can wear a GoPro if you want on this.

The drop slide is a little weird. Minimum height is only 48 inches, but you also need to be over 99 pounds. People do get stuck. I'm not sure why. Women seem to get stuck more than men. Weight doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. No jewelry or ANYTHING allowed on your body. They even tell the men to take off rash guards. Apparently, the more skin you have showing, the less likely you'll get stuck. I'm not exactly well padded, but it doesn't hurt at all. It is very intense and there's so much spray and condensation that you really can't see much while you're in it. There is a second opening to get people out who get stuck.

Both slides are quite warm while in them. It's when you're out and waiting that it gets cold. Especially in Alaska. They do have glass on the sides to help block the wind, but there are big gaps so a little wind still gets through.

Dining reservations didn't seem to be a problem unless you wanted one from 6:30 - 8 PM. Parties of 2 have it easiest. I made a reservation in the middle of the week for the next day. Had to eat at 5 PM for Le Bistro (not worth it).

Thanks for your great information- I heard about the soot from someone else as well. All in all, how did you like the ship? I've done all East Coast cruises from NYC (one from Miami) and am considering just sticking with the Escape for next year instead.

Also, about how many laps/ how much time do you get in the go karts?

The go karts sound like a waste of time/space to me....

The dual plunge slides were great on the Escape...is there only one on Bliss?

After watching a video of the karts, I'd agree. They look slower than golf carts, lol. It was so slow it was almost uncomfortable to watch. What is the point of that?

Just got back from the Bliss. I appreciate all previous posters reporting back, and I want to do the same. Some things have changed.

It was suggested that I try to get there early and make reservations via the app while connected to the ship's wifi. While I could connect to the ship's wifi from outside, I couldn't make reservations via the app. I couldn't do it using the touch screens either (Deck 5's forward screen on the right when facing the elevator's has a broken card scanner; the other side works).

Instead, I was directed to Q starting at 11 AM. One line to make reservations for the Go Kart and Laser Tag, another line to make entertainment reservations. Restaurant reservations were in another dining room. Book dining reservations early if you can. Those lines really sucked.

Unless you have a big party, on my sailing, you really didn't need reservations for the Go Karts. The weather might have had something to do with it. They do have limited hours. There are only two tandem karts, and one of them doesn't work properly (they said it's been wonky for a couple of trips now). No reservations for the tandems. They just block off a few hours and only run the tandems. With just 2 karts at a time, expect a wait.

Location of stairs to Go Karts is in the back by Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Don't go through the sliding doors. There's a lighted and flashing sign, but it's surprisingly hard to see. Going up to the mini golf area is a great spot to take pictures of the karts on the upper deck. The lighting is a lot better and you get way more angles.

They have blocks for shorter folks. Friend went that isn't 5 feet (yes, she's an adult). They recommend 54 inches minimum. There's no power steering so it does take a bit of muscle to turn in some corners so skinny kids, even if they're tall enough, might have issues. The other thing is the lack of visible signs. I did see a kid of about 12 just slam full speed into a lady (she looked hurt) because he missed the checkered flag until too late. Those people in that other post weren't kidding about kids being a problem.

Kids under about 16 probably shouldn't ride it, unless they've got decent karting or driving experience. However, many adults also lack decent driving skills and awareness and probably shouldn't ride it either.

Part of the issue is that there's just no good place to pass. If you've got some drivers who just want a leisurely joy ride and to pose for pictures, it messes things up for those trying to get the best lap times. The workers acknowledge this is an issue.

I was stuck behind a guy who insisted on traveling smack in the middle of the lane. Left no room to pass. I was inches from him for two laps and bumped him once accidentally when he randomly slowed for no reason. My guess is that the workers noticed because as he went sort of wide in one of the bigger openings, he suddenly stopped and I was able to squeeze by him. I know he saw me riding his tail and still refused to move over so my guess is the workers slowed him when they got a chance to let me pass. The boost button doesn't appear to do anything.

Wear black and waterproof. I got soaked because it was drizzling now and then, plus, condensation seems to collect on the back of the ship. The soot from the stacks also falls down onto the track. I was wearing a white shirt under my partially zipped jacket and my wife had a white fleece on. We came back with big black splatters everywhere. Other riders during clear sky days said they still had problems with condensation and the soot. Aft balcony person told me the soot falls on part of their balcony as well, so they have to just sit waaaaay back to be able to enjoy their balcony.

Didn't get to try Laser Tag because it's only open from 5 PM - 10 PM. Was busy with dinners, shows, etc.

The water slide that uses the floaties is suitable even for little kids. Yet it's still pretty fun for bigger kids and adults. Lots of colors and lights. Better than Disney's AquaDuck even if it doesn't go as fast as a whole. You can wear a GoPro if you want on this.

The drop slide is a little weird. Minimum height is only 48 inches, but you also need to be over 99 pounds. People do get stuck. I'm not sure why. Women seem to get stuck more than men. Weight doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. No jewelry or ANYTHING allowed on your body. They even tell the men to take off rash guards. Apparently, the more skin you have showing, the less likely you'll get stuck. I'm not exactly well padded, but it doesn't hurt at all. It is very intense and there's so much spray and condensation that you really can't see much while you're in it. There is a second opening to get people out who get stuck.

Both slides are quite warm while in them. It's when you're out and waiting that it gets cold. Especially in Alaska. They do have glass on the sides to help block the wind, but there are big gaps so a little wind still gets through.

Dining reservations didn't seem to be a problem unless you wanted one from 6:30 - 8 PM. Parties of 2 have it easiest. I made a reservation in the middle of the week for the next day. Had to eat at 5 PM for Le Bistro (not worth it).

Q? There is no deck Q. Decks are numbered. Is this something new?

Thanks for sharing your experience on the Bliss. We don't sail until February, so as you say I am sure even more things will change.

I had to chuckle at your review of the Go Cart experience. It was definitely an adult review. My Go Cart rider will be a 17yo dude. He won't care about the soot, he'll be able to steer and will enjoy driving around "obstacles".

We are excited to try the new "toys" on the Bliss as the itinerary isn't nearly as flashy as the ship.

Do you have any comments on the entertainment. So far I'm not excited by what I've seen listed, not too exciting for teens.

After watching a video of the karts, I'd agree. They look slower than golf carts, lol. It was so slow it was almost uncomfortable to watch. What is the point of that?

They're much faster than golf carts. It didn't seem slow at all... but they do slow it down for the first lap and sometimes have what's essentially a caution lap where they slow everyone down (if there's been a crash or someone needs help), and then when it's over they slow you down too. So maybe that's what you saw? Otherwise, it was fast for the space and the quick turns.

On our trip you definitely had to make reservations, but they could work you in if your reservation got cancelled. . My kids had a lot of fun and weren't holding people up... well, maybe on the first time my younger one did some, but he got passed easily from what I could see... also they give you only 2 times of getting stuck and then you're pulled from the track. So they do try to keep nuisances off the track. The next time he went, he came in 3rd, so he figured it out fast! :) ANd he's not quite 9 yet. So I don't think it's non kid friendly.

Luckily we didn't have that soot problem. I read about that on another thread as well.

And Laser Tag was FUN!

so you sign up at the BBQ venue? is there a desk or something?

They have the room cleared out basically and route you through the room to 3 or 4 desks for signing up for go karts and laser tag, and then on to another spot to get show reservations.

Later in the day, and definitely during the cruise, you can make go kart/laser tag reservations on the touch screens in the halls, but not on the app. On the first day though, I think there's a lag between when you're embarking and when the system has you loaded in so it didn't register who you were to be able to do the touch screen reservations.

We didn't have to wait in line very long at all at the Q though... so I'd just do that and get it over with and then go get drinks and enjoy.

They're much faster than golf carts. It didn't seem slow at all... but they do slow it down for the first lap and sometimes have what's essentially a caution lap where they slow everyone down (if there's been a crash or someone needs help), and then when it's over they slow you down too. So maybe that's what you saw? Otherwise, it was fast for the space and the quick turns.

On our trip you definitely had to make reservations, but they could work you in if your reservation got cancelled. . My kids had a lot of fun and weren't holding people up... well, maybe on the first time my younger one did some, but he got passed easily from what I could see... also they give you only 2 times of getting stuck and then you're pulled from the track. So they do try to keep nuisances off the track. The next time he went, he came in 3rd, so he figured it out fast! :) ANd he's not quite 9 yet. So I don't think it's non kid friendly.

Luckily we didn't have that soot problem. I read about that on another thread as well.

And Laser Tag was FUN!

Are we watching something different?

It's painful to watch because it's so slow.

I had to chuckle at your review of the Go Cart experience. It was definitely an adult review. My Go Cart rider will be a 17yo dude. He won't care about the soot, he'll be able to steer and will enjoy driving around "obstacles".

We are excited to try the new "toys" on the Bliss as the itinerary isn't nearly as flashy as the ship.

Do you have any comments on the entertainment. So far I'm not excited by what I've seen listed, not too exciting for teens.

I thought most of the singing entertainment was pretty cheesy. Bad cover band types.

Havana was kind of boring, but performers tried their best. I'd say it's the script that's at issue. Songs could have been catchier?

Jersey Boys was great, but wasn't it a Broadway show? There's more than one f-word and LOTS of sexually suggestive talk and situations, so I'd say it's probably a low R rating due to the curse words, and overall like a hard PG-13 cuz you don't actually see anything.

There are in shape female dancers in thongs in Havana. Bare butt cheeks. I imagine most teenage boys will find that entertaining. For those who prefer men, the male performers are really in shape too and don't wear shirts half the time.

I found the comedian hilarious. Just not enough entertainment overall. I dunno how the teens club was, but I could see teens being bored unless they participated in the game shows a LOT. Caribbean will be better because you can use the slides more than in Alaska.

And Laser Tag was FUN!

You start REALLY slow the first lap, faster then 2nd, then you're let loose.

The problem is there's only a handful of spots wide enough to pass. Unless the kart is going REALLY slow and pulled over to one side, you can't pass them. I was stuck behind a guy who was going decently quick, but stuck right to the middle of the lane. My kart wasn't fast enough to pass him in the few spots there were. I tried a variety of techniques. It wasn't until he inexplicably slowed/stopped in one section that I was able to pass him, but that required a huge difference in speed. You can go flat out the whole track. You don't need to let off the gas.

I didn't have a caution lap at all as everyone moved at a pretty decent clip. I got about 10 laps. Was very fun, even if it wasn't that fast. I'd estimate I got up to 15-20 mph. A tiny bit faster than my kid's electric kart.

The go karts sound like a waste of time/space to me....

The dual plunge slides were great on the Escape...is there only one on Bliss?

1 plunge slide and 1 slow one you use an inflatable with.

They're fun. They're not that fast, but it's fun. If you can go flat out, the track is designed well enough that it's fun. It's when you have people puttering along at 5-10 mph when the karts can go maybe double that when it gets frustrating. You can still wave while going flat out, but some people went real slow for whatever reason and others were waving to cameras and posing for cameras while on track. If they stay to one side while doing that, it's not too much of a problem. If they stay right in the middle, then they block any passing space except in some big corners but they tend to accelerate at that time.

Are we watching something different?

It's painful to watch because it's so slow.

Agree that video is painful to watch. The speed that video depicts is not reality. I can't explain it, all I can tell you is the potential speed of the karts is decent, much faster than that video.

They cleared out all the tables in Q and had some stations with laptops. About 3-4 laptops with workers to make reservations for each.

You can still sit in the booths while waiting and the bar is manned. I thought it was slow cuz I was by myself so I was stuck in line the whole time. Took maybe 30 minutes for just the racetrack/laser tag line when I got there at 11:15.

I have been told weekly Racetrack passes are sold. Were they available on your cruise?

I wasn't Haven but no peep of them for us regular folk. Worth considering IMO if they exist. I was fine with just one single run. The tandems were VERY slow (more like that video). Kids had fun, but they were good with just one ride as well. They couldn't full drive so that limited the fun (I think they can steer). But, due to the limited entertainment options on board (odd cuz it's a huge ship), I can see some people (like teenish aged kids who can't drink yet) finding the race track their best option.

Only unlimited was arcade games ($10/person/day and whole cabin has to buy). Honestly, communication was pretty poor. I never saw the cruise director (I missed that welcome show) the entire cruise. Thought there would be more announcements on the TV at least. Only info is through Dailies. Extra notices were just Cruise Next and Art. The unlimited arcade I found from a piece of paper taped to the door, which I happened to pass because my cabin was on the same floor. People were rarely in the arcade because it's $1-3 per game so maybe the unlimited is worth it?

Agree that video is painful to watch. The speed that video depicts is not reality. I can't explain it, all I can tell you is the potential speed of the karts is decent, much faster than that video.

So it's not just me! Lol. Good to know. We are looking at a potential upcoming Bliss sailing and the karts have me curious as I like to do all the activities.

I have been told weekly Racetrack passes are sold. Were they available on your cruise?

I was told yesterday by a reservation clerk via phone that you can purchase a weekly unlimited pass for $99.95 and a daily unlimited pass for $29.95 per person. However, if you can’t reservations is it worth it?

The unlimited arcade pass isn’t available to purchase over the phone until 60 days out. I had read some people being able to purchase before the cruise for $8 and only the kids. The guy I spoke with said it must be purchased for all members of the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't see the weekly unlimited pass available for purchase online. I didn't think to ask over the phone. Whether the weekly or daily is more worth it is tough to say. On some days, it's a lot more popular. I'd go look over the dailies and compare what's on tap for entertainment or port days and compare it to when the race track is open. See if you'll have time for the race track. There are limited hours for EVERYTHING. Big pain to see if things match up with your schedule and totally not Freestyle friendly. This includes the kids clubs and Starbucks (I'm used to shore Starbucks operating hours).

I didn't see the arcade pass online either, but I didn't search for that specifically so I may have missed it. The NCL website is always super slow for me and really frustrating to use. The sign posted on the door of the arcade made it clear it had to be for all members of the cabin. This is in contrast with, say, the soda package, which can be bought for just one person (at least while onboard; although it looked like you can prepurchase it online for just one person but I didn't actually try).

And for the soda, as long as one person has it, they can just order multiple sodas for the whole party. The bartenders/waiters don't care. They don't even bother scanning the card so I'm not quite sure how the gratuities you pay for are distributed. No one bothered to more than just glance at my card. Didn't treat me like a second class citizen compared to the alcohol people either, and they definitely scanned those cards.

I thought most of the employees were great (got some grumpy bussers at the buffet, and my Le Bistro waitress was pretty cranky until the end of the meal when she dropped off a crew recognition card). Most of my issues are with Norwegian corporate and how they schedule things or their offerings. Race track crew (they rotate everywhere on that deck, including laser tag and the water slides) did the best they could, but electric karts on a cruise ship with limited space is definitely a work in progress.