Alaska-Once...maybe but Not again

TNCruzer56

Sure I`ll get some neg pushback, but really did not enjoy the trip that much!

#1 Price-It was the most expensive cruise we`ve ever taken. We even had an oceanview vs the previous 20+ balcs.

#2 Crazy port times. Juneau arrived at 3PM-Bliss was in the way. Beautiful Victoria-arrive 6PM!

#3 Basically 3 1/2 sea days.

#4 Way overpacked

#5 cheapest lunch ashore with a couple of $6.00 beers was 40 bucks

# 6 Only saw the slight hump of a humpback whale, even though our guide kept saying "he`s gonna jump any second" and several blowholes

#7 saw 2 bears about 300 yards away for 20 seconds

Beautiful Wife wanted to do it-So North, we went

Some swear by it, but-Back to the Med for this Cruzer.

#1 Price-It was the most expensive cruise we`ve ever taken. We even had an oceanview vs the previous 20+ balcs.

#2 Crazy port times. Juneau arrived at 3PM-Bliss was in the way. Beautiful Victoria-arrive 6PM!

#4 Way overpacked

# 6 Only saw the slight hump of a humpback whale, even though our guide kept saying "he`s gonna jump any second" and several blowholes

Give Svalbard in Norway a look.

No positives at all?

Glacier Bay was pretty but pretty much turned into another sea day after 11AM.

I guess I just expected too much for the amount of money spent. So before the flamers arrive, I only put my thoughts out there for those on the decision edge. I`d much rather have been sippin a cold one in Santorini...But Happy Wife-Happy Life!!!

Thank you for the perspective. We have an Alaska cruise on the bucket list but haven't bitten the bullet yet. Since we are avid cruisers, it just seems like the thing to do because we haven't done it yet. I've not really seen many reviews like yours stating the flip-side. What ship were you on? (you mentioned Bliss was in the way....were you on Bliss or some other ship. and what were your dates of travel? When you say the ship was packed, do you mean more so that any other cruise you've taken? Just trying to get a broader picture.

Thank you!!

My comments:

#1 Price-It was the most expensive cruise we`ve ever taken. We even had an oceanview vs the previous 20+ balcs. Yes, it's expensive.

#2 Crazy port times. Juneau arrived at 3PM-Bliss was in the way. Beautiful Victoria-arrive 6PM! Yes, but you knew that when you booked. So future cruisers, pay attention to the itinerary

#4 Way overpacked Hard to imagine what this had to do with Alaska, or were you referring to the ports?

#5 cheapest lunch ashore with a couple of $6.00 beers was 40 bucks Yes, I think it's well documented that Alaska is expensive.

#7 saw 2 bears about 300 yards away for 20 seconds For 6&7, sorry you didn't see much wildlife, we had a much different experiece. I recommend people spend time in the Alaska port forum and be sure to book excursions that have a good track record for providing whatever it is you want to see. But of course it's wildlife and the animals aren't under any obligation to show up

So sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your trip. We went on the Pearl around 5 years ago. Looking at the current prices and port times I think you have a valid point. We paid what I thought was a reasonable price and the port times were longer. Except for Victoria as a short stop is to be expected and we enjoyed a drink at the Empress Hotel. Really a shame as Alaska is a wonderful destination.

I guess you can't predict wildlife. We saw at least a hundred whales (orca and hump back)while sailing out of Icy Srait point in May (transpacific from Japan) but not one in Glacier Bay. It was amazing to see all those whales.

But I understand your point. When we took a long road trip to Alaska and went to Denali, we saw about 5 bears very, very far away, just a speck. We were so disappointed. But, randomly, on the way home in Canada we saw about 25 bears very close (from the safety of our car) some literally 6 ft away. So, we were happy, but felt like Denali was a waste.

We are heading to Santorini in about a month, so, we will see.

Also, we just were on a Norway cruise in July and didn't see any wildlife at all and I didn't think Svalbard was comparable to Alaska at all. But, that also depends on the weather I guess.

#4 Way overpacked

Just some thoughts.

1. Mass market lines are not the way to go to Alaska. When compared to the luxury lines the cost difference is not that great, and you get a lot more on the upscale lines.
  2. While port times may seem crazy, often it doesn't get dark until close to midnight. A late arrival is no big deal. Unfortunately the OP went toward the end of the season and the days are shorter.
  3. The 3.5 sea days is pretty typical of an Alaskan cruise.
  4. Overpacking is no one's fault except the OP's. To blame that on the cruise being an Alaskan cruise is simply silly.
  5. Everything in AK is expensive, though a $40 lunch for two including beer, is not expensive, even for East Tennessee.
  6. Wildlife, is wildlife, sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't, especially bears. in three trips to AK, the only place we have seen bears in the wild is in Denali and they were at least 1000 yards away.

Each to their own, and I won't flame you for not liking it. Not everything suits everyone. I might just add some other considerations for would be Alaska cruisers to consider.

Is it a return to same port itinerary, or a one way? If return to same port, you are going to be cheated out of port time because you have a lot of sailing to do to get 'there' - particularly if only 7 days. If port time matters, you may benefit from a one way cruise. Ensure you buy into the itinerary before your deposit.

Does Alaska or the (far) northwest appeal to you for a land trip? If not, then maybe not cruise it.

It is pricey. I cruised it prior to the big jump in port taxes. Strategies, are last minute bookings - particularly off season. If a solo can grab a week cruise for under $1000 Cdn, then it can be done. Have you looked at the recent costs for this month? I accept, however, that it might mean compromises including an increased cost of flights.

Speaking of compromises, consider early or late dates to reduce port saturation. Weather won't be as ideal, but the scenery is still there. Some ships are well designed for this itinerary giving great solarium space so you can still use the pool and there is whale or iceberg watching without getting your binoculars or camera wet.

To help explain the cost of some of the ports, some ports have limited or no road access so everything has to be flown or shipped in. This is going to drive up lunch costs and tour costs. I booked ship tours because they were actually reasonably priced compared to the costs of a rental car that even 10 years ago was quoting $US100 a day.

Nature does not perform on demand.

I guess you can't predict wildlife. We saw at least a hundred whales (orca and hump back)while sailing out of Icy Srait point in May (transpacific from Japan) but not one in Glacier Bay. It was amazing to see all those whales.

But I understand your point. When we took a long road trip to Alaska and went to Denali, we saw about 5 bears very, very far away, just a speck. We were so disappointed. But, randomly, on the way home in Canada we saw about 25 bears very close (from the safety of our car) some literally 6 ft away. So, we were happy, but felt like Denali was a waste.

We are heading to Santorini in about a month, so, we will see.

Also, we just were on a Norway cruise in July and didn't see any wildlife at all and I didn't think Svalbard was comparable to Alaska at all. But, that also depends on the weather I guess.

Just a comment on Santorini, it is different than Alaska, and since you are going after the season is over it won't be too crowded, but you can expect lines everywhere, and the costs make AK look inexpensive.

From reading you went to Victoria, I’m gathering you left from Seattle. So you chose a cruise that went to Alaska, not an Alaskan Cruise.

What’s the difference? When you start in Seattle, you are gonna have more sea time just to get to AK ports. You at best get two Alaska ports and maybe a turn around at a glacier. That’s called a cruise that went to Alaska.

For those thinking about an Alaskan Cruise, choose one that DOESN’T Start in the US. Choose one that has at least 4 Alaskan ports. That’s an Alaskan Cruise, not one with a couple of ports there.

If you are going to spend out for an Alaskan Adventure, do one that begins or ends on Vancouver. It’s worth the wait to also add at least four nights on land before or after the cruise. Go to Denali National Park. Spend a night and day in Talkeetna. Ride the train on the interior of AK. If you don’t choose an RC land tour, rent a car or RV and do it yourself.

Even if you save an extra year to do it, wait. Yes, it’s pricey, and don’t skimp on excursions (there are some great independent ones).

Have an Alaskan experience, not a cruise with a couple of ports in AK. I wouldn’t take ANYTHING for our experience there. PS The AK experience was my husband’s idea. I was so surprised at how much I loved it.

Edited by internetwhiz

I guess I just expected too much for the amount of money spent. So before the flamers arrive, I only put my thoughts out there for those on the decision edge. I`d much rather have been sippin a cold one in Santorini...But Happy Wife-Happy Life!!!

Thanks, I appreciate your honest review. I have been toying with the idea of an Alaskan cruise, but I think I will do a land vacay instead. I'll save the cruise for the tropical places. :)

Having been to Alaska a couple of times to go salmon fishing with friends who are guides up there, rest assured that it's not a port thing -- everything in Alaska is expensive, everywhere. We are cruising on the Jewel next year from Vancouver to Seward and are just budgeting extra to account for prices that are anywhere from 10-100% higher than we have here in Florida.

There is a fjord day cruise in Seward that I've done twice and both times seen loads of whales, seals, porpoises and puffins. It's pricey but well worth it. https://www.alaskacollection.com/day-tours/kenai-fjords-tours/kenai-fjords-national-park-tour/

From reading you went to Victoria, I’m gathering you left from Seattle. So you chose a cruise that went to Alaska, not an Alaskan Cruise.

What’s the difference? When you start in Seattle, you are gonna have more sea time just to get to AK ports. You at best get two Alaska ports and maybe a turn around at a glacier. That’s called a cruise that went to Alaska.

For those thinking about an Alaskan Cruise, choose one that DOESN’T Start in the US. Choose one that has at least 4 Alaskan ports. That’s an Alaskan Cruise, not one with a couple of ports there.

If you are going to spend out for an Alaskan Adventure, do one that begins or ends on Vancouver. It’s worth the wait to also add at least four nights on land before or after the cruise. Go to Denali National Park. Spend a night and day in Talkeetna. Ride the train on the interior of AK. If you don’t choose an RC land tour, rent a car or RV and do it yourself.

Even if you save an extra year to do it, wait. Yes, it’s pricey, and don’t skimp on excursions (there are some great independent ones).

Have an Alaskan experience, not a cruise with a couple of ports in AK. I wouldn’t take ANYTHING for our experience there.

Thanks, some great advice :)

No, thank you for posting. Your post will grab attention and it should have helped educate folks to examine whether they want a couple of ports there, or a better Alaska experience. I love the Caribbean. I love Spain and we loved Santorini and the Mediterranean. Traveling is about crafting the best experience a person can have. Because of our experience, we loved Alaska, too.

We have been on 2 Alaskan cruises and 1 Med cruise and they aren't comparable in my opinion. Sorry you didn't enjoy Alaska, although some of the reasons aren't in anyone's control. I definitely would have been disappointed to not see any wildlife but I loved the glacier cruising days.

Alaska is expensive, and some of the cruises spend a day or two getting to the inside passage where you see most wildlife from the ship. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience :( Everything we want to see is so random and dependent on Mother Nature that it can be an expensive let down.

We've been several times so we only select Alaska if the price is right. Our last cruise to Alaska was on the Celebrity Infinity, and we got one of the "sweet sixteen" rooms with the enormous balconies for less than $2,200 total (for both of us) on Sep. 10, 2017. So we did Alaska again. Going that late in the year you don't see as much wildlife, so we saw less than we have in prior years. We did see spectacular glacier calving though.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

We thought that display was awesome and worth going for. Had we paid $5,000 for the trip maybe not. It's all about value for what's received.

Have an Alaskan experience, not a cruise with a couple of ports in AK. I wouldn’t take ANYTHING for our experience there. PS The AK experience was my husband’s idea. I was so surprised at how much I loved it.

MOD THIS UP! We did Seward-Vancouver with HAL a (more than a ) few years ago with our pre-teen/teen kids. The land portions at each end (rolled out own and it is a LONG drive from Anchorage to Denali NP and WORTH IT) made the trip, and we saw several fiords and glacier fields on the way south. IMO, you go for the land portions as much/more than the sea days. We used a "Great Alaska Coupon" book (may no longer exist) to book a ski plane trip (Talkeetnah), visits to several sights in AK, and a kayak trip in Kethcikan (same as what ship had but cheaper and we had guid to ourselves) that were highlights of the vacation. Then a few days to relax in Vancouver before flying home. Yes, AK is more $$ than Caribbean, deposits for shore events may be non-refundable (short season), and is better for active vacationing vs. watching world go by. So not for everyone but remains one of our top vacations ever.

Yes Alaska is expensive, but so is Hawaii, I think even more so. I've never done a cruise around Hawaii, but I've been a few times. $6 beer's doesn't sound so bad, and $40 for lunch is cheaper than taking teenager's to a MLB game, you'll happily pay $40 for lunch after that experience.

Alaska require's some planning in my book. I do agree with other's that the round trip out of Seattle is nice but, the one way is the way to go. As far as wildlife goes it's hit or miss. My nephew has been going up for 4 years now on a fishing boat and has never seen a whale breach. I think I've seen more whales from the ship than some have seen on whale watching trips. I've not seen a bear in Alaska, but did have an up close unplanned encounter in Wyoming several years ago, that was enough for me.

Like everything else not every place is ideal for everyone, and I'm not going to say your opinion is wrong, just different.

So much has to do with expectations! My spouse shares your opinion--he was very disappointed on the lack of wildlife and lousy weather (cold and rainy in Glacier Bay), so he has less than a great memory of the trip.

Yet, I was on the same trip and had fabulous time. I found the scenery so stupendous and memorable that today, years later, I still can't believe it was real. I loved the blue glaciers and spiky peaks, the Alaskan ports nestled in snow-capped mountains, the frontier ambiance and different culture (one of the towns closed the post office for lunch!).

And the shopping was a hoot--from totem poles to salmon every which way (salmon jerky!) to Eskimo art to Russian nesting dolls.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your trip, but I encourage anyone who's been thinking about it to do lots and lots of research, including YouTube videos. And as everything in life, keep a check on expectations... - Musing About Cruising