NCL "significant price increase"

JAMESCC

What do I think - well in relation to NCL rather than the other lines in the Corporation, they are already higher priced in Europe than the quality of their product deserves and once we've used our remaining cruise deposit on a 2020 TA I doubt we'll sail NCL again despite being at Platinum Plus level.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

Del Rio warned that “significant” price hikes would go into effect for several of Norwegian’s brands as of October 1, 2018. Travel Weekly reported that these increases will impact 67 percent of Oceania’s 2019 bookings, and 92 percent of Regent’s 2019 sailings. He also indicated that as much as half of the company’s available inventory for 2019 has already been booked, emphasizing that “more ships are coming, but demand is outstripping supply.”

No mention of NCL ships though.

What do I think - well in relation to NCL rather than the other lines in the Corporation, they are already higher priced in Europe than the quality of their product deserves and once we've used our remaining cruise deposit on a 2020 TA I doubt we'll sail NCL again despite being at Platinum Plus level.

Holy cow that is a strong statement!

I'm reading that like he was talking about Oceana and Regent. Am I mistaken?

While the article is about Oceana and Regent which is part of the NCL Holding group. I wont be surprised to see these price increases in other compnays. As is, i already see a increase in 2020 sailings.

I've had $1200+ of Carnival gift cards for a couple years. I've been unable to book a cruise on CCL because NCL has won 3 of my last 4 cruises booked (the other was MSC).

I've found NCL to be extremely competitive during the timeframes we've been looking at the past couple years ESPECIALLY when you take into consideration the 5 free at sea promo, Distinctive Voyages, etc.

We are booked for a cruise next May. I was looking to see what current pricing is for someone else. It has gone up 1800 since we booked in June, really glad we did it then. Not sure we would still have chosen it for our trip at current prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've had $1200+ of Carnival gift cards for a couple years. I've been unable to book a cruise on CCL because NCL has won 3 of my last 4 cruises booked (the other was MSC).

I've found NCL to be extremely competitive during the timeframes we've been looking at the past couple years ESPECIALLY when you take into consideration the 5 free at sea promo, Distinctive Voyages, etc.

I think what you are seeing is simply the result of competition arising from the overcrowded/overprovisioned North American market. The rest of the world doesn't enjoy the same pricing.

I doubt we'll sail NCL again despite being at Platinum Plus level.

You can get that matched to Black on MSC, I never sailed MSC before but now they have given me a black card I will be booking them for my next cruise.

Prices will go up until bookings slow or drop. Prices are higher than normal with the endless **Free** offers. I was going to book a 5 night Jade in the lull between **Free** offers but waited too long. The *Free** offers came back and the cruise price went up $200 pp.

At some point De Rio will hit the wall. I predicted this 2 years ago and boy have I been wrong. Prices keep going up, more cut backs on perks, gratuities up, and daily service charges too. Nothing has made bookings drop. At some point it has to happen you would think LOL ;)

Economy is part of it. However remember the crash in 2008-2009. Cruises were almost immune to the crash. All hotels and vacation areas saw declines but people still wanted to cruise. My cruise is not for another 1.5 years and fully expect gratuities to go up again before sailing :eek:

The corporations do not make ANY money, the shareholders do. If you think a corporation is make so much money then by all means buy that corporations stock!

Wrong.

Total corporate profits are distributed in three ways. One portion is used to pay corporate profits taxes. A second is undistributed corporate profits retained by corporations to finance capital investment. And a third is then paid out as dividends to shareholders, or corporate owners.

Prices will go up until bookings slow or drop. Prices are higher than normal with the endless **Free** offers. I was going to book a 5 night Jade in the lull between **Free** offers but waited too long. The *Free** offers came back and the cruise price went up $200 pp.

I never saw a lull between free offers.

. My cruise is not for another 1.5 years and fully expect gratuities to go up again before sailing :eek:

If they go up they give you the option to prepay prior to your cruise at the rate they were when you booked.

You can get that matched to Black on MSC, I never sailed MSC before but now they have given me a black card I will be booking them for my next cruise.

This is what I did.

I thought I was going to stick with NCL but I have booked YC on MSC. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another person who matched to black card and have now booked Yacht Club on MSC. Great marketing effort! I am looking forward to comparing to NCL's Haven! AND....I just found out (on the cruise critic forums) MSC gives a veteran's discount! I just sent an email with a copy of the DD214.....we'll see how that comes out!

Another person who matched to black card and have now booked Yacht Club on MSC. Great marketing effort! I am looking forward to comparing to NCL's Haven! AND....I just found out (on the cruise critic forums) MSC gives a veteran's discount! I just sent an email with a copy of the DD214.....we'll see how that comes out!

They'll take care of you, no worries. DH and I cruised on MSC Divina over NYE 2016/17 and had an amazing time. We paid less than half what NCL was charging for the holiday cruise and although we couldn't book yacht club we did book an aft balcony which was supper nice.

Hope you really enjoy your cruise.

While mid to low quality ships in all lines usually disappoints even when adjusted for lower prices, in general RCL seem to beat NCL hands down in many aspects (even when adjusted for prices) when it comes to above average ships that mainly cater to North American or China markets. We try not to align ourselves with any particular cruise lines among majors (US centric ones), but NCL seem to be a disappointment consistently. We may start blocking them out as an alternative the way we have black listed Costa (with Costa it is more about type of crowd it attracts)

For the last 2 years we have sailed a minimum of 3 weeks a year with NCL and we do love NCL but with the prices sky rocketing we decided to give MSC a try. Matched to black status. We have 32 days booked on Divina this year and 21 days booked on MSC Seaside next year.

MSC does have a Veterans discount, 5% on interior and oceanview cabins and 10% on balcony and above cabins. The Veterans discount cannot be combined with the 5% discount you get for the Voyagers club though. It is either one or the other. If in a balcony or above use the Veterans discount.