New York Hotel with shuttle

pmoniz

I don't know of any hotels in the NYC area that offer shuttles to the port (I'm assuming Manhattan) you can ask the concierge at your hotel to order you a car service upon check in for an agreed time. Taxi's are iffy, due to traffic. Traffic stops, meter keeps running. Car service...one agreed price

I don't know of any hotels in the NYC area that offer shuttles to the port (I'm assuming Manhattan) you can ask the concierge at your hotel to order you a car service upon check in for an agreed time. Taxi's are iffy, due to traffic. Traffic stops, meter keeps running. Car service...one agreed price

Great idea. Thank you! I'll look into a car service

Just to be clear, there are 2 cruise port in NYC, one in Manhattan and a 2nd. one in Brooklyn (Red Hook) plus the 3rd one at Cape Liberty, across the Hudson River in NJ. As already noted, not aware of any hotels offering free shuttle services to both NYC cruise terminals.

Weekend morning traffic is generally light (exceptions happen w. closure from summer street fairs and major events like yesterday's Triathlon ... that could cause a little diversion) that a yellow taxi CAN be price competitive, especially from the popular Times Square tourist area, where many seemed to book their stay. That is a distance of less than 2 miles & calculated taxi metered fare is about $9, excluding tips (no tolls)

https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/1271/yellow-taxi-fares

Car service fare is about the same, actually, I think it's slightly higher. Uber/Lyft, last time I looked, has a minimum of $8 for a short ride, regardless of distance - plus mileage charge, so could end up being more ... Not a fan of ride-sharing, but will use it as a last resort if our car services of choice isn't available (and, if true - I am expecting to be hit with surge pricing).

Just to be clear, there are 2 cruise port in NYC, one in Manhattan and a 2nd. one in Brooklyn (Red Hook) plus the 3rd one at Cape Liberty, across the Hudson River in NJ. As already noted, not aware of any hotels offering free shuttle services to both NYC cruise terminals.

Weekend morning traffic is generally light (exceptions happen w. closure from summer street fairs and major events like yesterday's Triathlon ... that could cause a little diversion) that a yellow taxi CAN be price competitive, especially from the popular Times Square tourist area, where many seemed to book their stay. That is a distance of less than 2 miles & calculated taxi metered fare is about $9, excluding tips (no tolls)

https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/1271/yellow-taxi-fares

Car service fare is about the same, actually, I think it's slightly higher. Uber/Lyft, last time I looked, has a minimum of $8 for a short ride, regardless of distance - plus mileage charge, so could end up being more ... Not a fan of ride-sharing, but will use it as a last resort if our car services of choice isn't available (and, if true - I am expecting to be hit with surge pricing).

Most of the OP's post are on the NCL boards or similar topics, so I would say Manhattan

Or even get a hotel within walking distance of the port, if you are able-bodied. That is our usual plan. Suitcases up and down curbs are the main annoyance.

If you don't mind me asking, what hotel do you usually stay at?

What is your exact date and number of people? What is your hotel budget? How are you getting to NYC from MA? Bus, train, or fly?

We aren't cruising until March 8th! Right now we have 27 people booked (whether they all go or not is to be determined!) Not sure if they all will be staying overnight, but the majority will. Budget...well, it's NYC I'm sure they aren't cheap! Don't want to spend $400 a night however! Our thoughts right now for transportation are possibly bus or train.

We aren't cruising until March 8th! Right now we have 27 people booked (whether they all go or not is to be determined!) Not sure if they all will be staying overnight, but the majority will. Budget...well, it's NYC I'm sure they aren't cheap! Don't want to spend $400 a night however! Our thoughts right now for transportation are possibly bus or train.

Do you have a travel agent? Are you seriously looking for rooms for 20+ people? Where are you all coming from? How much are you actually willing to pay for a hotel for 2 people?

One of the major pieces of advice that we give for sailing from the NY cruiseports is to NOT book transportation without considering the hotel and other transportation costs as well.

We are staying in the Fairfield Inn Central Park. Maybe 0.4 miles from the cruise port, and free breakfast. We paid about $305/night for September. you will not find anything much cheaper, at least anything you'd like to stay in.

Do you have a travel agent? Are you seriously looking for rooms for 20+ people? Where are you all coming from? How much are you actually willing to pay for a hotel for 2 people?

One of the major pieces of advice that we give for sailing from the NY cruiseports is to NOT book transportation without considering the hotel and other transportation costs as well.

No need for a travel agent! I've planned at least 5 group cruises myself with no issues.

LOL no I am not looking for rooms for 20+ people. When I find one we are going to stay in I pass the info to the others they can book it or they don't! Their choice. I just gather info and pass it along! We usually put 4 people in a room and pay whatever - it depends where we're cruising from and how close we want to be to the port. In this case I'd like to be close so we can just walk or uber or taxi over to the port.

No need for a travel agent! I've planned at least 5 group cruises myself with no issues.

LOL no I am not looking for rooms for 20+ people. When I find one we are going to stay in I pass the info to the others they can book it or they don't! Their choice. I just gather info and pass it along! We usually put 4 people in a room and pay whatever - it depends where we're cruising from and how close we want to be to the port. In this case I'd like to be close so we can just walk or uber or taxi over to the port.

OK - now I'm understanding the big picture better.

Your hotel date appears to be Mar 7, 2019, which is a Thursday. That's a business travel night, so rooms will be more expensive.

What bed size do you need if you're putting 4 people in a room? Two queen beds can be harder to come by. For your date the LaQuinta on W 32nd St is offering 2 Queens for $190 plus tax (even less with a senior or AAA discount). I tried this hotel precruise last Jan based on our NYC posters recommendation and was very happy with it and would definitely stay there again. Free breakfast, free internet, and modern upscale decor. It's in a great location near NY Penn Station, Herald Square (Macy's), subways, and the Empire State and about a $15 cab ride to the port. It's a short walk up Broadway to the Times Square area.

By comparison, the Comfort Inn near the port for your date is $220 plus tax for 2 double beds.

The problem with staying close enough to the port to walk is that there's really not much to do in the neighborhoods that far west in Manhattan. Staying in the 12th Ave area puts you at least four long avenues from Times Square.

OK - now I'm understanding the big picture better.

Your hotel date appears to be Mar 7, 2019, which is a Thursday. That's a business travel night, so rooms will be more expensive.

What bed size do you need if you're putting 4 people in a room? Two queen beds can be harder to come by. For your date the LaQuinta on W 32nd St is offering 2 Queens for $190 plus tax (even less with a senior or AAA discount). I tried this hotel precruise last Jan based on our NYC posters recommendation and was very happy with it and would definitely stay there again. Free breakfast, free internet, and modern upscale decor. It's in a great location near NY Penn Station, Herald Square (Macy's), subways, and the Empire State and about a $15 cab ride to the port. It's a short walk up Broadway to the Times Square area.

By comparison, the Comfort Inn near the port for your date is $220 plus tax for 2 double beds.

The problem with staying close enough to the port to walk is that there's really not much to do in the neighborhoods that far west in Manhattan. Staying in the 12th Ave area puts you at least four long avenues from Times Square.

Thank you sooo much for this information! I've looked into Fairfield Inn that Ano mentioned. It's a good deal @ $250 a night for 2 queen beds with AAA discount.

I'm not too concerned about being close to Time Square or other attractions. By the time we get into NYC it'll probably be late on Thursday night.

I'm going to look into LaQuinta now! Thanks again!

Thank you sooo much for this information! I've looked into Fairfield Inn that Ano mentioned. It's a good deal @ $250 a night for 2 queen beds with AAA discount.

I'm not too concerned about being close to Time Square or other attractions. By the time we get into NYC it'll probably be late on Thursday night.

I'm going to look into LaQuinta now! Thanks again!

But BEWARE, LOTS of added taxes on hotels, so advertised rates and what you actually pay can be quite different. A few hotels even have "resort" fees which they call "urban hotel" fees.

But BEWARE, LOTS of added taxes on hotels, so advertised rates and what you actually pay can be quite different. A few hotels even have "resort" fees which they call "urban hotel" fees.

Thank you! I never go by advertised rates.

We just booked a cruise arriving in Manhattan on Oct 20th.

Our hotel is in New Jersey (Hilton Penn station.).

What is the best means to get there?

NJ Transit train from New York Penn Station to Newark Penn Station. There is a skywalk from the Newark Station right into the hotel.

Just allow MORE time than you think you'll need. NJ Transit and Amtrak have been an absolute disaster of late. If you expect that the trains will be even close to on time, think again.

Heat is causing all kinds of issues, this AM there was a gas leak that stopped EVERYTHING between NYP and PHL for maybe an hour, trains are canceled due to staffing and/or equipment issues and the ones that DO run are PACKED.

Just making sure everyone is aware of the mess that the rails have been having for months. If you're on twitter, follow Amtrak and NJ Transit. Just be aware that those sites are often updated shortly after stuff happens.

The normal summer hot weather issues are affecting any type of rail transit in NYC from the Commuter railroads to the Subway. Even PATH has had problems all summer. This isn't last year's "Summer of Hell" with a major track switch out of service at NY Penn that was more hype than actual problems but the normal summer weather that effects the steel rails, signals, and equipment. Add on that most maintenance teams are cut back due to vacations.

Speaking of PATH,you also have PATH as a back up to NJ Transit/Amtrak. It is a subway a long block walk from Penn Station.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html