Bar Harbor - using Island Explorer free shuttle versus Acadia National Park Tour

I Love Carbs

For sure.. I'll let you know how we paid our Entrance Fee when I return in August. If you have any more tips/suggestions about Bar Harbor, please pass them along.

Had a fabulous time in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Gorgeous scenery and wonderful sunny weather... couldn't have asked for more. Did Sand Beach, Thunder Hole and Ocean Path to Otter's cliff. So back to the Entrance fee that I promised I would provide. We paid the Park Entrance fee at Village Green prior to boarding the Island Explorer Shuttle to Sand Beach. As a family of four, we paid the $25 per vehicle fee instead of $10 per person fee. FYI - this $25 fee is valid for a 5 day period. The scenery at Acadia was priceless!

So back to the Entrance fee that I promised I would provide. We paid the Park Entrance fee at Village Green prior to boarding the Island Explorer Shuttle to Sand Beach. The scenery at Acadia was priceless!

Thank you for the info.

Glad you had a peachy day!:D

Had a fabulous time in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Gorgeous scenery and wonderful sunny weather... couldn't have asked for more. Did Sand Beach, Thunder Hole and Ocean Path to Otter's cliff. So back to the Entrance fee that I promised I would provide. We paid the Park Entrance fee at Village Green prior to boarding the Island Explorer Shuttle to Sand Beach. As a family of four, we paid the $25 per vehicle fee instead of $10 per person fee. FYI - this $25 fee is valid for a 5 day period. The scenery at Acadia was priceless!

do you remember how many passengers were on the bus?

SBtS

do you remember how many passengers were on the bus?

SBtS

Oh dear! Forgot to do the seat count but I will go with the 38 seat count that VacationGuy provided. And they do allow passengers to stand on the bus. I noticed that the Park Loop shuttle was full and people had to stand.

• 9 months later...
The route #3 & #4 buses will get you to the start of the Ocean Path. The difference is that the #3 bus starts at the Village Green and only does the eastern half of the Park Loop Road. Teh #4 bus starts at the ANP Visitor Center and does the entire loop road.

You can start your trip with the #3 bus, and when you've completed your hike, flag down a #4 bus which you ride to Jordan Pond. At JP, you board an inbound #5 bus which will take you back to the Village Green.

SBtS

I know this is an old thread, but we'll be in Bar Harbour / Acadia in about 3 weeks. I've read here (and maybe someplace else) that it's easy to just flag down a bus (as you mentioned) and they'll stop for you if there's space, even if it's not an actual stop. Can you give any more information on that? Or is it really as easy as getting to the road at Otter Point (after the hike/walk) and flagging down a #4 from the road? Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but we'll be in Bar Harbor / Acadia in about 3 weeks. I've read here (and maybe someplace else) that it's easy to just flag down a bus (as you mentioned) and they'll stop for you if there's space, even if it's not an actual stop. Can you give any more information on that? Or is it really as easy as getting to the road at Otter Point (after the hike/walk) and flagging down a #4 from the road? Thanks!

Each bus route has designated stops (such as Sand Beach), but you can wave down a bus anywhere along its route. A 2 hand wave is recommended so the driver knows you want him to stop the bus. A single hand wave could be considered a 'friendly' or 'hi' wave. Just make yourself visible to the bus driver; a straight portion of road is best.

Wherever you are, just get to the Park loop Rd. Yes, it is that easy.

BTW, the name of the town is Bar Harbor. Since it is a proper name, it does not change.

SBtS

• 1 month later...

I'm starting my serious research for our upcoming cruise. We'll be in Bar Harbor On October 1. I know that we need to tender from the cruise ship. Do we get dropped off at the Village Green? I'm trying to decide whether or not we should use the Island Explorer. We are the only cruise ship in port that day, so it shouldn't be too busy. It looks like the Explorer is still running most of the scheduled stops/pick ups on this day. I just want to make sure it's easy to get to the starting point. Looks like the way to go.

I'm starting my serious research for our upcoming cruise. We'll be in Bar Harbor On October 1. I know that we need to tender from the cruise ship. Do we get dropped off at the Village Green? I'm trying to decide whether or not we should use the Island Explorer. We are the only cruise ship in port that day, so it shouldn't be too busy. It looks like the Explorer is still running most of the scheduled stops/pick ups on this day. I just want to make sure it's easy to get to the starting point. Looks like the way to go.

I just want to make sure you understand about the Island Explorer. They are NOT tour buses. They are public transportation that includes Acadia National Park and surrounding areas. You can ride them around ANP and get off the bus, but this is a DIY tour. You have to supply your own commentary. Just keep this in mind as you plan your tour.

As for the starting point, all routes do not start at the Village Green. One route, Park Loop Road, starts at the Hull's Cove Visitor Center and does go into the town on its route.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Island Explorer goes near enough to Cadillac Mountain to be able to do a reasonably easy hike up there? We are late 60's who are in reasonable shape and have done a fair amount of hiking (nothing strenuous, but not just flat stuff). Trying to figure out our options. TIA

Does anyone know if the Island Explorer goes near enough to Cadillac Mountain to be able to do a reasonably easy hike up there? We are late 60's who are in reasonable shape and have done a fair amount of hiking (nothing strenuous, but not just flat stuff). Trying to figure out our options. TIA

There are 3 bus routes that go by either the North Ridge Trail (to the summit) or the Summit Rd or both. The North Ridge Trail is about 2.2 miles length, one way, the Summit Road, about 3.5 miles but there is no walking lane provided. The North Ridge Trail is rated at Moderate.

There is the South Ridge Trail (to the summit), but it is longer than the North Ridge Trail and is rated as Strenuous.

Just remember, once you reach the summit, you'll have to go back down. You might try hitching a ride back down.

SBtS