Quebec City airport to downtown hotel

DaveOKC

We need transportation from the airport in Quebec City to our hotel (Delta by Marriott) near downtown.

What are our options and your thoughts on them?

Also, how do taxis handle US Dollars (if they do at all)?

$34.25 to be picky;-) Uber might be even less - it's allowed these days.

Based on business trip to QC with US colleagues, I've heard several reports of cabbies happily taking USD cash - but since it's not a thing I've done myself I don't feel able to comment on the likely exchange rate offered. Personally I'd just pay by credit card to ensure the rate is fair and avoid any attempted negotiations in French - unlike Montreal, it is far from certain a Quebec City cabbie will speak more than the most rudimentary English, and as is normal there's a high % of immigrants among cabbies so even if they are native French speakers their French is not the French you'd have learned in any US school (but then Quebecois French is also going to be a wee bit different too!)

We had one quite memorable cab ride from downtown to YQB with a Senegalese driver, us using half-remembered British school system French and him his own dialect, and by the end of the half hour ride we'd probably exchanged just half a dozen mutually-understood sentences and said 'pardon' and 'plus lentement SVP' about forty times each!!!

CAD.

All prices on websites etc. in Canada are always in our own currency unless specified otherwise (if you're browsing a hotel website from a US IP address you might see numbers in USD, but if so it will be mentioned on the page), and I've yet to encounter any regular local posters who mention a number that would be in USD without explicitly stating that too - it's not just more logical, it avoids the constantly-changing exchange rate making the numbers vary!

• 1 month later...

My party will be five adults with cruise luggage arriving at YQB. I am unable to find much on the taxi web sites for Quebec City. Is it normal there for taxi companies to use minivans as cabs? I am kind of thinking we will need two vehicles to get from the airport to our hotel, but if there are minivan cabs available we may all fit.

^Hopefully a local resident will confirm, but IIRC the cab 'vehicle size' issue is basically the same in Quebec provincially as it is over here in BC or in ON where I used to live - basically, almost nobody runs minivans in any format except 'wheelchair accessible' as they cost more to run than smaller cars, let alone hybrids, so the only reason any company keeps them around is the requirement to offer a certain number of wheelchair-accessible vehicles! When minivans are set up for this, they usually have 4 actual passenger seats and space for a wheelchair to be locked into place - or for tons of extra luggage if no wheelchair user.

I have seen a literal handful of 5 & 6 seater cabs around in Vancouver & Victoria over the years, so there's always a chance that you may find such in Quebec - but even if you do, the odds of you getting one quickly rather than having to wait a long time are probably very slim.

Personally I would assume you will need 2 cabs or an UberXL vehicle for 5 pax (I've got no idea how many UberXL vehicles are around in Quebec, so the saving compared to 2 cabs you can get in right away may be worth it or not to you...)

I've used a credit card to pay for a cab from the airport to the old town area, plan to do the same in October. My taxi driver from the airport spoke fairly well, driver to the port did not (and doesn't matter to me, happens many places I've traveled).

The ride to the port is short, I paid with CAD. My small regional bank carries CAD on hand, especially in summer, current rate, no service charge.