Baltimore Insights

SoDak

Looking forward to the January 17 Journey cruise on Pride. We've never gone out of Baltimore and are just curious to know if there are any "quirks" in cruising out of that port.

Not too worried about the cold since we are coming from Minnesota. Looking forward to new experiences.

Not worrying, more like wondering if there are any interesting bits about this port that are different than the warmer weather ports.

Hope nobody minds but I'd be okay with a snowfall as we are leaving. Would make for some interesting pictures.

Just a little tidbit that many people miss I am sure.

When you sail out of the port about a 1/4 mile on the port side before the Key Bridge,this is the first bridge you will go under. You will see a red white and blue bouy .This marks the approximate spot that Francis Scott Key wrote the National Anthem aboard the ship he was on.

Just a little tidbit that many people miss I am sure.

When you sail out of the port about a 1/4 mile on the port side before the Key Bridge,this is the first bridge you will go under. You will see a red white and blue bouy .This marks the approximate spot that Francis Scott Key wrote the National Anthem aboard the ship he was on.

The Coast Guard pulls the buoy in late November/early December. Usually around the same time they pull the Patapasco and Susquehanna NOAA buoys.

It's pretty cool, but won't be there in January. Here's a cool pic of it before it was deployed. http://midatlantic.coastguard.dodlive.mil/2014/06/the-star-spangled-buoy/

Sailing out of Baltimore is fantastic for ease and efficiency. We've sailed from Cape Liberty and all the FL ports and would pick Baltimore over all of them. We've sailed off the east coast in December and March. It's cooler than FL (obviously! Lol) but it makes for a unique sailing experience. We were delayed in December due to weather however. It was only by s few hours, but some people are really bothered by that sort of thing. Cocoa as a sail away drink was fun!

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for that info. My husband is a history buff and will love it.

I've sailed out of Baltimore 3X. You do get a nice view of Ft. McHenry

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/mmkbx75/IMG_4481_zpsqmemc8ab.jpg

Also, going under the Bay Bridge is nice (2nd bridge you go under). When you go under the first bridge (Key Bridge) watch how close the top of the ship is to the bridge deck.

The Coast Guard pulls the buoy in late November/early December. Usually around the same time they pull the Patapasco and Susquehanna NOAA buoys.

It's pretty cool, but won't be there in January. Here's a cool pic of it before it was deployed. http://midatlantic.coastguard.dodlive.mil/2014/06/the-star-spangled-buoy/

Gee I completely forgot about them pulling the buoy during the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Another interesting structure you will pass as you leave Baltimore is he Chesapeake Bat Bridge Tunnel http://www.cbbt.com/ which connects the little piece of Virginia on the Delmarva peninsula with Virginia Beach. It was built as a bridge-tunnel because the Navy was concerned that a bridge only configuration could be bombed by an enemy, which would "bottle up" the naval bases around the Norfolk ares. It is kind of cool to look to the left and see a bridge, look to the right and see a bridge, but look ahead and see no bridge.

Sailing from Baltimore is very easy. One other note is that it takes about 8 hours from the time you leave the dock to sail down the Chesapeake Bay until you get to the Bridge Tunnel. Once you have passed the Bridge Tunnel you will be at the Atlantic Ocean. So, usually it is around 12:30 AM or so from the time you leave Baltimore until you hit the open seas. The first day and a half are cold, but then you hit the Gulf stream and it will warm up.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the Baltimore port is easy peasy. You can see the ship from I-95. The parking is immediately beside the terminal. The terminal is all on one floor [no escalators to negotiate]. The only issue is that if you are sailing in the winter and waiting for a ride it is outside. They have some space heaters--but, it can get cold.

Thanks for the picture. I guess that just means I'll have to make a return visit to Baltimore.

Sailing out of Baltimore is fantastic for ease and efficiency. We've sailed from Cape Liberty and all the FL ports and would pick Baltimore over all of them. We've sailed off the east coast in December and March. It's cooler than FL (obviously! Lol) but it makes for a unique sailing experience. We were delayed in December due to weather however. It was only by s few hours, but some people are really bothered by that sort of thing. Cocoa as a sail away drink was fun!

Have a great cruise!

I'll have to remember the cocoa idea. Around here we like to add a little peppermint schnapps to turn it into an adult beverage.

Sailing from Baltimore is very easy. One other note is that it takes about 8 hours from the time you leave the dock to sail down the Chesapeake Bay until you get to the Bridge Tunnel. Once you have passed the Bridge Tunnel you will be at the Atlantic Ocean. So, usually it is around 12:30 AM or so from the time you leave Baltimore until you hit the open seas. The first day and a half are cold, but then you hit the Gulf stream and it will warm up.

Thanks for all the information. More reasons to make a return visit to the coast. We are always looking for interesting vacation ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
What time does boarding start' date=' generally (assuming no delays, etc.)?[/quote']

This will be our first time out of this port so I'm not sure. With the Florida ports, we just usually head over after we check out of our hotel and hope for the best. We probably do that here as well.

BTW - like your comments on the other thread in support of SeaWorld. No organization is 100 percent perfect. People just do the best they can and hope that is enough.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed out of Baltimore on the Pride last May and will be going on her again in March. Agree it is an easy port to sail out of, but it has the LONGEST, steepest gang way I have ever experienced. I am not "old" and do not have mobility issues, but I was huffing and puffing and saying a few OH CRAPS by the time we finally got on the ship! :eek::o:confused: So be warned! :rolleyes:

Does it take you an hour to drop off luggage' date=' park, get through security, get your S&S card, and get on board? Or are you waiting to board for awhile?[/quote']

Generally once the gates are opened and they allow the new cruisers in, it takes about 15 min. to drive around, drop off the luggage, pay for parking and then park. From there, it can take 10 min. or longer to get through security and get up to the counter. We have had occ. to sit and wait in the chairs for 20-30 min. to get onboard.

Edited by montekat

One other thing about Baltimore security: I read this many times before we sailed out of there, but experienced it personally: they inspect EVERYTHING. If you carry on a carton of soda, they will take it apart and look at every single can! :eek:I'm not implying you are trying to smuggle, just saying that it can hold up a line just a bit! :rolleyes: