Newport: View from Mansions same as Cliff Walk?

Odonpeg

We will be in Newport in mid-October and will take the Breakers and Marble House tours. I'd really like to do the Cliff Walk (or at least a portion of it), but time may not allow.

Will the views from the Breakers and Marble House mansions be the same as if actually on the Cliff Walk?

I guess I'm trying to make myself feel better if it turns out we can't do the Cliff Walk!:confused::confused: :)

:confused::confused:

First, I have a question for you. The tours of the Breakers & Marble House, are they DIY tours or excursions?

Yes, if you are in the back yard of either mansion, you will have some views of what you would see but restricted by any bushes that separate the walk from the mansion's property and by the distance back from. the cliff.

Your best bet would be to look out any window on the second floor if allowed there.

SBtS

Thank you SBtS....we are taking the ship excursion (Princess).

I so hope we will have time to walk even a small portion of the Cliff Walk as I think we will be sorely disappointed if we miss it.

Thank you SBtS....we are taking the ship excursion (Princess).

I so hope we will have time to walk even a small portion of the Cliff Walk as I think we will be sorely disappointed if we miss it.

It is quite easy to use public transportation to see the mansions. A route #67 bus does the mansions. You can buy a one day bus pass for $6 which provide unlimited rides for the day. You can set your own schedule for viewing.

You board the bus at the Newport Transportation Center which is located 1 block north of the tender dock.

SBtS

OK, it sounds like taking the #67 bus is super easy.

One other question: should we pre-pay for the mansion tickets? Or it says they can be purchased at the Visitor Center? Are they the same price whether we pay ahead of time or purchase at the Visitor Center?

We just returned home from a B2B set of cruises. Both cruises called at Newport.

Since we would be in Newport twice (once on each itinerary) we bought the Breakers plus One ticket on-line before leaving (Breakers plus one other of the mansions). The Preservation Society of Newport County website (http://www.newportmansions.org) has information on each property, ticket options and even information on how long it the walk is between various properties. We did find Breakers to be absolutely overwhelming from a sensory standpoint, and were glad that we had planned to do Breakers on the first port call, and another property on the second. The self-guided audio tour at Breakers was outstanding, so we make sure that the second house we visited also had a self-guided audio option (not all of them do).

There will be a white van at the tender pier filled with information and staffed by helpful folks. There also were a number of greeters from their visitor bureau milling around on shore to answer questions. We had no problem walking to the transportation center and purchasing the $6.00 day passes for route 67.

But I should note that due to wake restrictions and the amount of harbor traffic it was a slow tender ride to shore. With the cruise line we were on we have tender priority, but the tender situation may be a consideration for those who don't have tender priority.

The Breakers is amazing. So is Marble House. The Cliff walk is very nice. You will have an opportunity to go down the lawn at The Breakers to the edge and get a nice view. I would definitely choose the mansions over the CLiff Walk.

• 3 weeks later...

We didnt fnd the cliff walk anything special. You could do half of it. Start at Riddel Avenue where the 40 steps are. Its the halfway point. then facing the water, follow the path to the right which is in back of all the mansions. If you go towards the right from 40 steps there really isnt much to see at all. you pass alot of bushes and see water, thats all. No mansions.