beware inoperative taxi meters

olegna

Not the first time this has happened to us.

On Friday, July 6th, we arrived at Red Hook off a delightful cruise on the QM2

Among the first off, we walked to the taxi line, where there were plenty of cabs.

Our destination was Penn Station in Manhattan.

After informing the driver, the first question out of my mouth is always, " is the meter working?"

They always reply, yes.

As we turned the first corner, I saw that the meter was NOT working.

I asked again and attempted to adjust the meter which was now showing $50, an expensive turn.

After one more try and another it will be ok, we requested to be returned to the starting point.

Fortunately he complied. On other trips I would have to open the door to get the driver's attention.

Knowing the usual cost was about $25, it was nice to ride with our next driver who was an honest man.

My only mistake was to not get the cab number to official report.

Riders beware.....

It is illegal to operate a Yellow Taxi in NYC with the meter or seals being broken or tampered with.

You should have just called 311 from the car, or threaten to do so to reach the Taxi & Limousine Commision (T&LC)

§2-32 If Taximeter or Credit/Debit Card Acceptance Equipment Is Defective During Shift.

(a) A driver shall not pick up or transport a passenger when the taximeter is defective until it has been repaired at a licensed taximeter shop or replaced by such shop with a taximeter which has been inspected, sealed and approved within the preceding twelve (12) months.

Yeah. I think I would have gone local on him and said the next words out of my mouth will be on the phone to the T&LC with your license number that's right in front of my face...

Something tells me the meter would have suddenly "been fixed"...

Having said that, it's always useful to remind folks who aren't local (I'm not, but I'm there a lot) that 311 number and the cabbie's number are required to be posted in the cab. If they're not, especially at a place like a cruise terminal with a legitimate taxi line, just get out... And these threads serve to deliver that reminder to folks who don't travel to NYC very often.

• 2 weeks later...
Not the first time this has happened to us.

On Friday, July 6th, we arrived at Red Hook off a delightful cruise on the QM2

Among the first off, we walked to the taxi line, where there were plenty of cabs.

Our destination was Penn Station in Manhattan.

After informing the driver, the first question out of my mouth is always, " is the meter working?"

They always reply, yes.

As we turned the first corner, I saw that the meter was NOT working.

I asked again and attempted to adjust the meter which was now showing $50, an expensive turn.

After one more try and another it will be ok, we requested to be returned to the starting point.

Fortunately he complied. On other trips I would have to open the door to get the driver's attention.

Knowing the usual cost was about $25, it was nice to ride with our next driver who was an honest man.

My only mistake was to not get the cab number to official report.

Riders beware.....

How much did you pay? It's not likely to get a $ 25 fare, which seems under estimated?

How much did you pay? It's not likely to get a $ 25 fare, which seems under estimated?

The actual fare from the Cunard port in Red Hook to Penn Station Manhattan was just under $25.

One of the best drivers ever......

A generous tip was added.