NYC Departure - Flying into LGA Nov 14th

IronRobi

This will be our first time in NYC. Booked on an 11 night from Nov 15 - 26th with NCL.

Our flights are booked through points coming into LGA through Toronto on the 14th and arriving around noon. Our flight out is on the 27th at around 1pm.

I've spent the past hour reading various hotel threads, and the majority recommend staying in and around the cruise terminal. Checking pricing on the various hotels I see recommended here on the 14th, they all seem to be around $500-600/night, I'm assuming likely because of the proximity to Thanksgiving.

I'm considering grabbing a hotel near LGA since the pricing is much more reasonable (~$200/night), but would still like to do some sight-seeing. Which attractions specifically we haven't decided yet. Are there any hotels in this area that are recommended more than others or any that I should specifically avoid? I often stay at Best Westerns.

Is there an easy way into the city when staying out by the airport?

How much time should I allow in the morning to make it to the port and what would be the best method to use?

Where are you looking? I went to the official Best Western website and the price is $339 USD for nov 14. Plus an ad pops up if you book today 10% off. This is the property on East 49 Street in Manhattan. Very close to ship and walkable distance to many tourist sites. If you’re considering a non Manhattan property please ask here first. Some are in sketchy areas while others are not close to public transportation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Concur with above post ... I see La Quinta @ W. 32nd Street near Macy's, for about $200/nite + taxes/fees - an easy & short taxi (Uber, etc.) ride to the NCL terminal (Pier 88) ~ $15 w. tips, walk to Times Square. There's no reason to book/stay near the pier, area known as Hell's Kitchen ... if you wish to be on/off Broadway, then, rates will be higher but still should not be $500 to $600 unless you are referring to CAD ??

How many in your group & beddings needed, folks here can easily recommend a few more for your weekday stay ... with 1/2 to 3/4 day-evening left for sightseeing, coming up with a short/bucket list of "must" or to-do's would assist to zoom in the choice for the hotel hunt. Hotels across the East River in Long Island City area are 1 to 4 or 5, maybe 6 subway train stops to Times Square but their rates aren't necessary cheaper - and those don't offer free airport shuttle rides - I would not recommend any, based on what I read on thus far.

Where are you looking? I went to the official Best Western website and the price is $339 USD for nov 14. Plus an ad pops up if you book today 10% off. This is the property on East 49 Street in Manhattan. Very close to ship and walkable distance to many tourist sites. If you’re considering a non Manhattan property please ask here first. Some are in sketchy areas while others are not close to public transportation

The official BW website does offer much better pricing than all the popular travel sites. They have the same property at $479. Makes me wonder if I'd find the same searching all the hotel chains individually.

But at the same time I still look at that vs BW LGA that the official site has at $139. It's a significant difference in price. If I'm able to hop on a public bus or subway and head to the tourist sites that way, is it worth the price difference to stay closer?

The official BW website does offer much better pricing than all the popular travel sites. They have the same property at $479. Makes me wonder if I'd find the same searching all the hotel chains individually.

But at the same time I still look at that vs BW LGA that the official site has at $139. It's a significant difference in price. If I'm able to hop on a public bus or subway and head to the tourist sites that way, is it worth the price difference to stay closer?

What’s the exact address of the one that says LaG?

Don't get hung up on staying at a BW in Manhattan. mking8288 is right on the money about the LaQuinta. $180 plus tax = $210. This is a great deal and comes with free breakfast and free internet in a great Manhattan location near Herald Square (Macy's), the Empire State and multiple subway line access right at 32nd & 6th. I stayed there in Jan and would stay there again.

You have limited time in NYC. Don't waste it trying to figure out how to take a bus plus perhaps multiple subways to get yourself between a LGA hotel and Manhattan. There's not enough of a price difference between the La Quinta and the BW at LGA to justify staying in Queens.

Don't get hung up on staying at a BW in Manhattan. mking8288 is right on the money about the LaQuinta. $180 plus tax = $210. This is a great deal and comes with free breakfast and free internet in a great Manhattan location near Herald Square (Macy's), the Empire State and multiple subway line access right at 32nd & 6th. I stayed there in Jan and would stay there again.

You have limited time in NYC. Don't waste it trying to figure out how to take a bus plus perhaps multiple subways to get yourself between a LGA hotel and Manhattan. There's not enough of a price difference between the La Quinta and the BW at LGA to justify staying in Queens.

I'm not specifically married to BW's, but where I travel regularly for work I stay mostly at BW's. While right at this second I don't have enough points available or my travel schedule set between now and November, I'm assuming between now and then I'll have gathered enough points to switch my reservation over to points to cover the costs. So this is why I'm leaning their direction.

I'm not specifically married to BW's, but where I travel regularly for work I stay mostly at BW's. While right at this second I don't have enough points available or my travel schedule set between now and November, I'm assuming between now and then I'll have gathered enough points to switch my reservation over to points to cover the costs. So this is why I'm leaning their direction.

OK - but my suggestion is to cover your "hotel bet" now by booking a refundable reservation in Manhattan at the LaQuinta. By the time you accumulate enough points for BW (usually hotels with these points programs charge a lot more points for Manhattan), there might not be any rooms available for points.

Meanwhile maybe someone can post the public transit directions from LGA( or maybe from the LGA BW) to Manhattan so you know exactly what would be involved.

That Best Western is near Flushing Medows Corna Park slightly southeast of the airport. It is smack dab right next to the elevated 7 subway line, the train will rattle right past the building literally feet away. I don't know what soundproofing they have, look at google earth street view to actually see this.

While you have access to the subway into Manhattan from the 111th street station of the 7 subway line may be a positive but a good night sleep may override that if you are not used to city noise.

I live three blocks from the subway and hear it at night when the windows are open but don't feel it like you would be right next to it.

OK - but my suggestion is to cover your "hotel bet" now by booking a refundable reservation in Manhattan at the LaQuinta ... someone can post the public transit directions (from ... LGA BW) to Manhattan so you know exactly what would be involved.

We've stayed at LQ properties for budget travel, they are nicer than the Comfort/Quality & BW chains, closer to Hamptons & Holiday Inn/HJ Express, etc. if one is available ...

As for the BW LGA-Corona, that's directly next to/under the busy 24/7 subway train line #7's local (elevated) station stop, 2 blocks away at 111th Street. I'm pretty sure that land/hotel site used to be part of a local Queens lumber/home improvement store that burned down many years ago & was vacant for a while. On weekdays, subways are jammed pack with commuters - standing room only until after 9 to 9:30 am, if you choose to take luggage along & ride to the pier with a taxi transfer or walk that last 3/4 mile+

There is a connection to/from LGA via the local Q48 bus service (non-SBS) used by airline & airport employees underneath on Roosevelt Ave. I don't believe the station is accessible friendly so be prepared to take staircases to reach the elevated entrance & one more level to the subway platform. Being local service, ride to Times Square is usually about 45 minutes when running on time or without other service changes. Dining options in the area around the hotel are limited - a multi-cultural working class neighborhood with a strong Latino imprint (do a Google Earth view to see & scroll around) - should be fine. I cannot vouch as to whether this particular BW property might be contracted by city's Dept. of Social Services and/or Red Cross Disaster Services to provide family shelter assistance ... even newly built hotels are doing it discreetly.

Since OP has a strong preference for BW chains, I would suggest checking around for other similar BW property for points required for redemption - and, if same or lower ... the ones in Long Island City are much closer to Manhattan - also served by the #7 subway line as well as N/R/Q/F lines to/from Times Square with the cruise terminal 5 to 6 long city-blocks away.

Otherwise, car services such as Carmel or Dial 7 would be the preferred mode to get to the pier on a weekday, traffic will be heavier - expect to pay about $45 to $50 for a full-size 4 door sedan + toll + tips, and at least 1 hour for curbside-to-curbside transfer.

I can’t recommend that property in Corona in good conscience. It gets dark around 5:00 pm in November and I don’t know if tourists would be safe after dark coming home. Plus the next morning you’d have to get over to the Manhattan pier. There would be very little time for sight seeing. Maybe if there is a property in Long Island City or Astoria that could work.

I can’t recommend that property in Corona in good conscience. It gets dark around 5:00 pm in November and I don’t know if tourists would be safe after dark coming home.

This is exactly the feedback I needed to hear.

LaQuinta looks decent for the price. There's a BW a few streets over on 36th as well that I can likely book on points.

I'll take a closer look on Long Island as well. So many "areas" to NYC it's challenging to keep them all straight.

Long Island City appears to have quite a few options that are nice hotels at a decent value. How difficult is it to get into the city from here?

I'm also seeing a BW property in North Bergen, NJ build in 2017 that appears close and offers a shuttle service to the city for $12 round trip. It also appears to be reasonably close to the pier according to google maps. Any advantages/disadvantages of staying over on this side?

EDIT: It appears getting from LGA to North Bergen can be a hassle because of the crossing of state lines?

Edited by IronRobi

Long Island City appears to have quite a few options that are nice hotels at a decent value. How difficult is it to get into the city from here?

I'm also seeing a BW property in North Bergen, NJ build in 2017 that appears close and offers a shuttle service to the city for $12 round trip. It also appears to be reasonably close to the pier according to google maps. Any advantages/disadvantages of staying over on this side?

EDIT: It appears getting from LGA to North Bergen can be a hassle because of the crossing of state lines?

What hotels are you looking at in Long Island city for Nov 14? The BW is showing at $153 plus tax. The La Quinta is $180 plus tax. This would be pennywise and pound foolish. You have to pay for transportation to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port in Manhattan plus the subway cost just to get into Manhattan. By the way, you never did say what you want to see in the city. That can affect your choices as well.

You don't have much time, so IMO the cost to get to NJ plus all the extra time you will waste plus the shuttle cost puts this hotel out of the running.

Long Island City appears to have quite a few options that are nice hotels at a decent value. How difficult is it to get into the city

Long Island City is one or two subway stops from Manhattan. Very easy, I work there every day on Vernon Blvd and wife works a subway stop away at Queens Plaza so let me know any questions.

Great views of the city err sorry Manhattan from Gantry Park and there is also NYC Ferry service but that isn't that close to subway stops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

What hotels are you looking at in Long Island city for Nov 14? The BW is showing at $153 plus tax. The La Quinta is $180 plus tax. This would be pennywise and pound foolish. You have to pay for transportation to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port in Manhattan plus the subway cost just to get into Manhattan. By the way, you never did say what you want to see in the city. That can affect your choices as well.

I understand completely what you're saying on LaQuinta Manhattan vs BW Long Island City. And if it came down to having to pay, LaQuinta would be for sure at the top of the list. But being outside of Manhattan, the BW is a lower cost than the ones in Manhattan, which also means it requires less points to book. I can actually book both the night before and the night after the cruise with the points I have right now. So my cost at BW Long Island City is $0.

Now for the BW that's 2 or 3 streets over from LaQuinta, I'm about 30,000 points away which is probably 12-15 nights to gather. I don't know if I'll end up having the points for that property. So for staying right in Manhattan I would likely book LaQuinta. But I'm looking at $180/night vs $0/night.

Long Island City is one or two subway stops from Manhattan. Very easy, I work there every day on Vernon Blvd and wife works a subway stop away at Queens Plaza so let me know any questions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Are there any transfers required or is it just hop on and hop off after a couple stops?

And as far as what we want to see, TBH we haven't even started to discuss yet. I know already my wife will want to go to Macy's. Time's square. I'd like to do the One wtc observatory but I don't know if I can handle the elevator lol.

I'm all about getting a bargain, using points when possible etc. But given the short time you'll be there, basically the afternoon/evening the day before the cruise (maybe a little time in the morning if you wait to get onboard in the afternoon) and one day post-cruise, I'm going to say it: Forget about using points to stay in Queens or Jersey or whatever. Book a hotel in midtown Manhattan, i.e. the La Quinta someone mentioned at a good rate. It will put you in the heart of where you want to be as far as maximizing sightseeing in a short period of time.

Furthermore, I think the one someone mentioned was around 34th St? I would divide your pre-cruise and post-cruise time and spend one of the days seeing from 34th St north to Central Park, for things like the park, Times Square, museums, Broadway theaters and such. Spend the other day heading south for things like 9/11 memorial and museum, Statue of Liberty, Chinatown etc. Dividing your time and planning ahead will help you avoid unnecessary time going back and forth on the subway repeatedly.

I would first check to see if the Long Island City property is within walking distance to the subway. If it is, and you’re comfortable using the NYC Subway, then it’s a viable option given you want to utilize your points.

That said, if you stay in Manhattan at w 34 area you can WALK almost everywhere you want to go. You’d take the subway to World Trade Center.

Are there any transfers required or is it just hop on and hop off after a couple stops?

And as far as what we want to see, TBH we haven't even started to discuss yet. I know already my wife will want to go to Macy's. Time's square. I'd like to do the One wtc observatory but I don't know if I can handle the elevator lol.

I can tell you exactly once we know where you are staying and where you want to visit. The R train down Broadway stops near most tourists destinations below Central Park but other lines can get you closer. The E goes right to the World Trade Center but stop at Queens Plaza in Long Island City.

Queens Plaza does have elevators from street to mezzanine and then mezzanine to platforms but in one location and this station, footprint is rather large.

23 Street Court Square only has elevators to the elevated lines not the E/R so once you have some plans let me know.

• 2 months later...

Not sure exactly which LaQuinta in Manhattan you are referring to - it is possible that they've changed their partnership/alliance with another brand, not necessary "closed" & maybe closed temporary for a facelift/remodeling, etc. I believe many had stayed in a different one closer to Penn Station & PA Bus Terminal nearer to MCT, which could well be just a branding change.

There is a LQ near Central Park West and one on Lexington Ave, Mid-town East. Best to call LQ's toll-free 8xx number and ask/check with them

Having lived in NYC most of my life I would not recommend any hotels in the vicinity of LaGuardia.

I suggest contacting the NYC Tourist Information Office .

Did you pick up the phone and call the LaQuinta to see what's going on? Do you have a confirmation from them?

Lastminutetravel.com can be a good resource if the La Quinta (or whatever the hotel is now) doesn't come through. There are some possibilities on their offerings for 11/14. If you want to sightsee in Manhattan, then you should bite the bullet and get a Manhattan hotel.

If you identify some options, post back for comments. No Hotel Pennsylvania!