One Day in New York with a wheelchair? Is it possible

CarolR

Sailing out of New York in early September. We are three adults including my adult son who is in a wheelchair. We were thinking of driving in a day earlier and do one day around NYC. I would like to see Central Park, 911 memorial, Empire State Building. Does anyone with experience in New York think this is possible with a wheelchair. Is parking available in an around these sites. My husband thinks it is not doable but I would like to use this opportunity to see a few sites. We are staying about an hour outside if NYC so we would just drive in for the day for sightseeing. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Sailing out of New York in early September. We are three adults including my adult son who is in a wheelchair. We were thinking of driving in a day earlier and do one day around NYC. I would like to see Central Park, 911 memorial, Empire State Building. Does anyone with experience in New York think this is possible with a wheelchair. Is parking available in an around these sites. My husband thinks it is not doable but I would like to use this opportunity to see a few sites. We are staying about an hour outside if NYC so we would just drive in for the day for sightseeing. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
That is a very ambitious itinerary for 1 day. We went to the 911 Memorial and spent

4 - 5 hours there and the Freedom Tower. The Empire State Building is not worth going to see. Central Park is beautiful. As to parking all I can say is it's tight and very expensive. We take a bus or train to NY because parking is so damn expensive but we don't travel with a wheel chair.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

That is a very ambitious itinerary for 1 day. We went to the 911 Memorial and spent

4 - 5 hours there and the Freedom Tower. The Empire State Building is not worth going to see. Central Park is beautiful. As to parking all I can say is it's tight and very expensive. We take a bus or train to NY because parking is so damn expensive but we don't travel with a wheel chair.

Thanks for the info. I am happy visiting the 911 memorial and Central Park. I didn't realize that you could spend so much time at the memorial but its something I really want to see.

Where are you staying outside NYC? What day of the week would you be doing this?

It can be done if you're willing to pay for the parking and put up with the traffic. Are you planning to do the 911 Memorial Museum as well as just viewing the 911 Memorial? The Museum is what takes the time.

Hi. I found the website that can give you all the correct info. NYC.com then click the link for mature and disabled visitors.

If you can arrange for wheelchair assessable transportation your plan is certainly doable. I disagree strongly also that the Empire State Bldg is not worth visiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’d pick just one area, we just spent a day downtown at the 9/11 memorial, museum, and the observation tower. We live 10 miles west of the city, took about 45 minutes to drive there on a Sunday morning, $40 to park. I did see folks in wheelchairs there.

If you do the museum, either buy tickets in advance, or at least on your cellphone instead of waiting in a long line. You can download a free app and bring your headphones and save $7 on a self tour (we paid $2 just for earbuds).

The observatory had the most amazing views of NYC.

I’d pick just one area, we just spent a day downtown at the 9/11 memorial, museum, and the observation tower. We live 10 miles west of the city, took about 45 minutes to drive there on a Sunday morning, $40 to park. I did see folks in wheelchairs there.

If you do the museum, either buy tickets in advance, or at least on your cellphone instead of waiting in a long line. You can download a free app and bring your headphones and save $7 on a self tour (we paid $2 just for earbuds).

The observatory had the most amazing views of NYC.

This sounds good. Is the parking close to the memorial? I need to convince my husband that this will work so I'm hoping the parking is not too far away.

What day of the week are you doing this and where are you coming from?

We are driving in from the Toronto area on Monday Sept 3. Thinking of spending the 4th in NYC. Staying about an hour outside of NYC, I think in New Jersey.

We are driving in from the Toronto area on Monday Sept 3. Thinking of spending the 4th in NYC. Staying about an hour outside of NYC, I think in New Jersey.

Sep 3 is Labor Day(Holiday), so Sep 4 will be a big back to work day but public schools don't start until Sep 5. The New Yorkers can comment on how that would affect the traffic and ability to park near World Trade.

Call NYC tourism .They should be able to answer all your questions.

There is no free parking anywhere near the sites you are interested in and the areas are quite congested.

This sounds good. Is the parking close to the memorial? I need to convince my husband that this will work so I'm hoping the parking is not too far away.

Yes, we used a parking app and reserved a spot a block away, valet parking. It was $25, but we have s minivan so had to pay s $15 surcharge.

• 2 weeks later...

The traffic that day in NYC will be ridiculous.

Why are you staying an hour outside NYC? Why not stay closer to the river in Jersey?

Just uber in around 10am to the 911 area and spend the day downtown. Then if you really want to you can uber up to Central Park and then back to your hotel but battery park will suffice and that's right next to 911.

Order uber XL or a van They will have room for a wheelchair in the trunk

It will probably cost more than driving and parking but less headaches.

This assumes you fold the wheelchair and you son can sit in the car

If you have a handicapped equipped vehicle then if course you drive in...pay to park an oversized car...but please just stay in the downtown area. Less hassle

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The traffic that day in NYC will be ridiculous.

Why are you staying an hour outside NYC? Why not stay closer to the river in Jersey?

Just uber in around 10am to the 911 area and spend the day downtown. Then if you really want to you can uber up to Central Park and then back to your hotel but battery park will suffice and that's right next to 911.

Order uber XL or a van They will have room for a wheelchair in the trunk

It will probably cost more than driving and parking but less headaches.

This assumes you fold the wheelchair and you son can sit in the car

If you have a handicapped equipped vehicle then if course you drive in...pay to park an oversized car...but please just stay in the downtown area. Less hassle

maggie cruises is right...

maggie cruises is right...

I think the OP is staying with friends in NJ. Uber is the most expensive way to get into the city besides a town car. If they are coming from an hour away, that is very pricey. Train is an option, ferry is an option. I think the biggest issue is downtown and Central Park on the same day, especially with mobility issues.

I think the OP is staying with friends in NJ. Uber is the most expensive way to get into the city besides a town car. If they are coming from an hour away, that is very pricey. Train is an option, ferry is an option. I think the biggest issue is downtown and Central Park on the same day, especially with mobility issues.

I also posted that they shouldn't be staying so far outside of NYC considering their situation and I'm interested in where you read that they are staying with friends? I don't see that in any of the posts.

If they are in fact staying with friends like you are assuming then that's actually their issue to deal with and either they drive and deal with traffic or they spend the $$ on convenient personalized transport into NYC for the day. If you are correct about staying with friends well I guess they save on hotel fare but the offshoot is expensive convenient transport or frustrating traffic self driving

Their situation is very complicated with the wheelchair and the date they are traveling into NYC

I still stand by my suggestion that unless the son cannot sit up in a car without being in a wheelchair that they should uber in

If the son must stay in his wheelchair then they have a properly fixed car for this so of course they must drive themselves

The date they choose and the location an hour outside of NYC are the real problems

Edited by maggie cruises

You know, I just assumed free lodging would be the only reason one would stay an hour out before the cruise if they planned on spending the day in the city. If they got a hotel closer to the city, I still don’t think uber is the best way, but I love driving in the city, and there really is convenient parking. Getting a hotel close to a path station might also work.

You don't mention if you drive an accessible van (exceptionally tall). Many NYC garages can't accommodate especially tall vehicles (the majority of parking garages in the city are underground) so that's something else to consider if you want to drive into the city.