Travel insurance - with pre-existings??

Got an email yesterday from Victorian Seniors Card. Amongst the offers is 15% off Insure and Go.

Too bad I am not going anywhere at the moment.

We get that in NSW as well, through the Seniors Card.

We've used Insure and Go for a couple of years now. I had to claim last year and they were fairly good. A bit of toing and froing with emails but they paid out fairly quickly.

This year we took out an annual policy which, although not specific for cruising, covers all we need. It was interesting to see how the price jumped with even minor pre-existings when the US is one of the destinations.

Just booked with insure and go.

Pre existing more than doubled the price, but that was only about 10% more than a few others wanted without pre existing factored in.

So all in all pretty happy.

Good job, it can be difficult to nail down a decent price.:D

You’re welcome to drop in. I will lay down a keg of Diet Coke for you.

1125ml bottle of Bundy Rum to flavour the Coke. ? :halo: Bought a couple of them through duty free the other week, lubbly jubbly for the winter. But they are evaporating quickly.:hearteyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Insure and go wouldn’t cover my pre existing conditions. I have since found coverage with All Clear Travel Insurance. I ended up getting an annual policy called Gold Plus for just over $500. Well worth it since it will cover me for our cruises and holiday later this month and our cruise to Hawaii in April next year. My husband is covered by our CC policy.

Insure and go wouldn’t cover my pre existing conditions. I have since found coverage with All Clear Travel Insurance. I ended up getting an annual policy called Gold Plus for just over $500. Well worth it since it will cover me for our cruises and holiday later this month and our cruise to Hawaii in April next year. My husband is covered by our CC policy.

Ummm,,, You might want to check your husbands CC policy?? Doubtful he will be covered should something happen to you due to one of your pre-existing conditions. I say this because my wife & I used CC insurance for years with no issues. But these days I have major pre-existing issues that most insurers wont touch. Of the insurers that will cover me, I have to include my wife's name on the policy with them also because if I don't they won't cover any of her portion of expenses if it's caused due to my pre-existing and she is travelling with me. Our CC insurance definitely won't cover it either as they don't cover my pre-existing conditions at all.. So we still automatically get CC insurance but it is only of use to us for anything not related to my pre-existing. If we travel together and I take out pre-existing with an insurer she has to be on that policy also, but she does pay the lower standard rate because she doesn't have pre-existing. I have looked into this a lot in the past couple of years with several insurers and the Insurance council. Rules, etc, do change often but that is the recent info I know about it.

For those travellers in NZ and Australia I recently purchased a 12 month policy with Covermore ( Flight Centre insurers) based in Aussie and they covered all our pre existing. The 12 month policy cost the equivalent of 2 x 14 day cruises policies to Europe which as we have three cruises booked is very worthwhile. I had quite a severe accident back in June and the Travel Insurance medevac me and my wife home. They were very thorough whilst I was overseas. I rang them gave them a land line number and they rang me back. Service was great

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s a case where they had insurance , have run up a big bill in Bali and need a special flight to fly home ...but Insurance wont pay as they claim its a pre existing condition.

Govt can't help sick Kiwi mum in Bali get home, Winston Peters says

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/106634658/govt-cant-help-sick-kiwi-mum-in-bali-get-home-winston-peters-says

My wife and I have existing medical conditions and they add considerable extra cost to our travel insurance bill. The case above is not the first instance of an insurance refusing to payout on a claim. One instance that may seem minor but proved to be very expensive was a case where a lady a week or two before leaving home cut her leg and didn't advise the insurance company. The leg turned very septic whilst overseas requiring expensive hospital treatment. The insurance company refused to meet the medical costs because it was an existing condition prior to travel. Advising the insurance company before would have resulted in a few extra dollars premium or perhaps no extra at all.

The moral of the story is spill your beans to the insurance companies and don't hold anything back. Diabetes, high blood pressure, being a smoker and resultant heart problems are just a few examples of conditions which can lead to other conditions which if not declared can void a travel insurance policy.

We have a 12 month travel insurance policy with a raft of existing conditions which costs us around $NZ1200 a year. It is small change to pay should an accident occur which did to me a couple of months ago requiring around $10,000 of extra airfares met by the insurance company.

Don't leave home without it

Here’s a case where they had insurance , have run up a big bill in Bali and need a special flight to fly home ...but Insurance wont pay as they claim its a pre existing condition.

Govt can't help sick Kiwi mum in Bali get home, Winston Peters says

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/106634658/govt-cant-help-sick-kiwi-mum-in-bali-get-home-winston-peters-says

Strange they won't reveal the name of their insurance co., Perhaps some negotiation going on, I reckon they will end up paying out some $ with some government intervention.

What is an existing condition which must be declared for one company may not need to be declared for another. Hence the reading and understanding of the fine print is most important. One cannot assume that two companies under the umbrella of a parent company will have same T &C's

For those travellers in NZ and Australia I recently purchased a 12 month policy with Covermore ( Flight Centre insurers) based in Aussie and they covered all our pre existing. The 12 month policy cost the equivalent of 2 x 14 day cruises policies to Europe which as we have three cruises booked is very worthwhile. I had quite a severe accident back in June and the Travel Insurance medevac me and my wife home. They were very thorough whilst I was overseas. I rang them gave them a land line number and they rang me back. Service was great

Always good to hear how Insurance Companies meet travel insurance claims.

It was all so simple some time ago - I would see a great cruising deal, book it and pay the deposit (sometimes the whole thing) and then go and arrange some travel insurance. That was in the days when I had no "pre-existings". In those days , I saw many people who I wondered how they even had travel insurance. In fact, I suspect that they didn't - because what travel insurance company would accept them??? But today, I have "pre-existings" . I have found cover/acceptance of my Atherosclerosis for our last trip - but now I also have Central Retinal Vein Occlusion ( which basically means " almost" blindness in one eye) - probably associated with the atherosclerosis but in reality , the medicos really don't know.

So anyway - it seems now that I will somehow or other have to find travel insurance BEFORE I book any travel!!! This will be something new for me - and wondering if any others are in this boat???

I haven’t used insureandgo but I have used tick, who’s one of their subsidiaries and they were excellent! Paid my whole claim. You have to be completely honest when applying for your insurance, especially with pre exisiting medical conditions

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I obviously was under several misunderstandings with regard to complimentary credit card cover.

I knew DH and I both had a pre existing which was on the list of allowed conditions. So today I telephone Allianz and explained that we had booked a holiday and had pre existing as said and what should we do.

She explained that for any of the pre existing conditions covered they would do a telephone assessment with the person concerned to see if they would give cover for that condition.

This assessment would cost $75 per person and would be required for every holiday in the future if we wanteed cover for that; it would not be logged onto our account and automatically,covered so it requires $150 EVERY trip. They would not charge the fee if they decided not to give cover.

HOWEVER if you did not go through this arrangement the travel insurance is still available free for everything else but not if anything was associated with the conditions then there would not be cover. So I asked if this cover would be for cancellation so long as it was not associated with the conditions and theft, delay and etc and she said yes and also said that if for instance you fell over and broke a leg because this would not be associated with the conditions we chose not to cover the medicals for that WOULD BE COVERED That is a much better scenario than I had thought

I obviously was under several misunderstandings with regard to complimentary credit card cover.

I knew DH and I both had a pre existing which was on the list of allowed conditions. So today I telephone Allianz and explained that we had booked a holiday and had pre existing as said and what should we do.

She explained that for any of the pre existing conditions covered they would do a telephone assessment with the person concerned to see if they would give cover for that condition.

This assessment would cost $75 per person and would be required for every holiday in the future if we wanteed cover for that; it would not be logged onto our account and automatically,covered so it requires $150 EVERY trip. They would not charge the fee if they decided not to give cover.

HOWEVER if you did not go through this arrangement the travel insurance is still available free for everything else but not if anything was associated with the conditions then there would not be cover. So I asked if this cover would be for cancellation so long as it was not associated with the conditions and theft, delay and etc and she said yes and also said that if for instance you fell over and broke a leg because this would not be associated with the conditions we chose not to cover the medicals for that WOULD BE COVERED That is a much better scenario than I had thought

I would get that explanation confirmed in writing in case you do have a claim and for whatever reason the insurance company declines coverage citing pre existing condition. If there is a dispute you would have to prove that the "event" was not attributable to a pre existing condition if that's the route the insurance company takes.

I would get that explanation confirmed in writing in case you do have a claim and for whatever reason the insurance company declines coverage citing pre existing condition. If there is a dispute you would have to prove that the "event" was not attributable to a pre existing condition if that's the route the insurance company takes.

I may ask but they may not like to put things in writing however the conversation was recorded for training purposes and I have her name

This assessment would cost $75 per person and would be required for every holiday in the future if we wanteed cover for that; it would not be logged onto our account and automatically,covered so it requires $150 EVERY trip. They would not charge the fee if they decided not to give

I would have thought and I’m sure many other people would as that the pre existing conditions on the list are automatically covered so you don’t have to do an assessment or pay extra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have thought and I’m sure many other people would as that the pre existing conditions on the list are automatically covered so you don’t have to do an assessment or pay extra

No not according to the Allianz person unless you pay the $75 each assessment charge every holiday

No not according to the Allianz person unless you pay the $75 each assessment charge every holiday

The pds says ‘This policy automatically covers the following conditions subject to the requirements set out below’. So it is very miss leading.

The pds says ‘This policy automatically covers the following conditions subject to the requirements set out below’. So it is very miss leading.

Can you give me the link to this statement? perhaps it is for people who purchased a cover not the complimentary c/c cover

Can you give me the link to this statement? perhaps it is for people who purchased a cover not the complimentary c/c cover

https://www.westpac.com.au/content/dam/public/wbc/documents/pdf/pb/credit-cards/WBC_Consumer_Credit_Card_Comp_Insurance_Allianz.pdf

Page 19

Thanks for that I see it is Westpac and we are HSBC so I must look at their rules and also the pre existing automatic list does not include Hashimoto's which is on the 29 conditions on the Alliance/HSBC policy so it seems each c/c has its own conditions which may not be the same as another bank's