Voyager Of The Seas , our first RC Cruise , tips please

Hello all, we have just booked our first RC cruise on the Voyager Of The Seas for February 2020 14 nights to Fiji , for our 40th Wedding anniversary. As this is our first cruise with Royal Caribbean I am asking for any tips or suggestions from people who have sailed with them , especially as a first time cruiser without any loyalty benefits. Thanks for any help, cheers Buzz.

Great work Buzz,

Note that everything on the ship is USD. Power points will be US and European so you will need an adaptor.

I am not sure there is really anything that different to other cruises except that they often have parties in the promenade. So there may be some noise carrying to your cabin if you have a promenade room.

Formal nights are fairly relaxed, similar to P&O, where it will have some people Tuxing it up, many people dressing up with a jacket or shirt with tie but many more not dressed better than smart casual.

Book a dining package and or drinks package (or anything else) prior to boarding as it is always cheaper (unless our dollar improves greatly than what it is offered on board. Perhaps now may be a nice time before they adjust the conversion rate again (Currently $0.77 USD). If the packages do drop in price, you can always cancel and rebook.

Great work Buzz,

Note that everything on the ship is USD. Power points will be US and European so you will need an adaptor.

I am not sure there is really anything that different to other cruises except that they often have parties in the promenade. So there may be some noise carrying to your cabin if you have a promenade room.

Formal nights are fairly relaxed, similar to P&O, where it will have some people Tuxing it up, many people dressing up with a jacket or shirt with tie but many more not dressed better than smart casual.

Book a dining package and or drinks package (or anything else) prior to boarding as it is always cheaper (unless our dollar improves greatly than what it is offered on board. Perhaps now may be a nice time before they adjust the conversion rate again (Currently $0.77 USD). If the packages do drop in price, you can always cancel and rebook.

Thanks Mic , great help will definitely look at the dining packages , cheers.

Have sailed twice on VOS in February, definitely more kids than we expected, but it is a family ship, we had our 3 yo GC and that gave us a great excuse to visit the dream works parade..yep big kids...the windjammer can get pretty busy at breakfast, but timing has a lot to do with that. Definitely get prior to cruise drink package if you are going to get one as Mic says Aussie dollar before US once on board. Keep an eye on the website as we found sometimes they have a special for drink packages, and if you can snap up one of these works out great value.

Have sailed twice on VOS in February, definitely more kids than we expected, but it is a family ship, we had our 3 yo GC and that gave us a great excuse to visit the dream works parade..yep big kids...the windjammer can get pretty busy at breakfast, but timing has a lot to do with that. Definitely get prior to cruise drink package if you are going to get one as Mic says Aussie dollar before US once on board. Keep an eye on the website as we found sometimes they have a special for drink packages, and if you can snap up one of these works out great value.

Thank you for this info. I will be watching closely for any package specials.It is such a long time until we sail , I have to try not to overthink it all :) Cheers Buzz.

BuzzBuzzen,

When we were on the Voyager last year, we found that a great place to watch the parades along the Promenade were the balconies near the Cafe Promenade accessed from most of the upper decks looking down onto the Promenade. It can become very crowded if watching from the Promenade. Also the ice skating shows are fabulous. I went to two different ones and thoroughly enjoyed them and I wouldn't say it was something I would usually be interested in. Tickets are distributed or were last year by your safety drill area. Keep a look out in your daily newsletter fir when you can attend. Get there reasonably early too.

We enjoyed having a drink in the R Bar, usually able to find a seat. Not as loud as the pub further along the Promenade.

Enjoy your cruise and the planning of it.

Leigh

BuzzBuzzen,

When we were on the Voyager last year, we found that a great place to watch the parades along the Promenade were the balconies near the Cafe Promenade accessed from most of the upper decks looking down onto the Promenade. It can become very crowded if watching from the Promenade. Also the ice skating shows are fabulous. I went to two different ones and thoroughly enjoyed them and I wouldn't say it was something I would usually be interested in. Tickets are distributed or were last year by your safety drill area. Keep a look out in your daily newsletter fir when you can attend. Get there reasonably early too.

We enjoyed having a drink in the R Bar, usually able to find a seat. Not as loud as the pub further along the Promenade.

Enjoy your cruise and the planning of it.

Leigh

Thank you for the viewing tip. I thought the same about the ice skating shows , last time I saw one was with the kids when they were little ( all grown up now ) at Disney on Ice ! I will try to get tickets early on. A quieter bar sounds good too. Cheers, Buzz.

Great work Buzz,

Thanks for the tip - just called RCCL to purchase some OBC on an upcoming cruise - still at $0.77 which is far better than what my bank is offering say on a travel money card or similar..

Room service to your room is now $7.95 (when we were last onboard) per room order not per item. But you can still get quite a nice continental breakfast free of charge by room service. Very handy for shore days when the buffet etc is very busy.

The promenade cafe is also handy for a snack, roll, cake, pizza etc and usually open 24 hours. We usually have lunch there first day rather than scramble for a buffet table, providing it’s open when you board.

And the Main Dining Room has lunch on sea days, very nice especially if they have the tutti salad bar.

And Voyager will be newly ‘amped’ (RC wording) after 2019 refurbishment.

Edited by megsie

Room service to your room is now $7.95 (when we were last onboard) per room order not per item. But you can still get quite a nice continental breakfast free of charge by room service. Very handy for shore days when the buffet etc is very busy.

The promenade cafe is also handy for a snack, roll, cake, pizza etc and usually open 24 hours. We usually have lunch there first day rather than scramble for a buffet table, providing it’s open when you board.

And the Main Dining Room has lunch on sea days, very nice especially if they have the tutti salad bar.

And Voyager will be newly ‘amped’ (RC wording) after 2019 refurbishment.

Thank you for the helpful tips. I will be very careful not to sit on any " amped " bits onboard !

On a boat that size be prepared for lines!

We enjoyed VOS with our older teens, lots to do.

If you don't feel like a formal breakfast or going to buffet , you can go to the Promenade cafe and pick up nice fruit and yogurt in tubs to take away, also can make hot drinks there and the cookies and sweets are lovely for an afternoon snack.

Less about the size, more about how many pax onboard and facilities.

When they did the refurb a few years back, they added about 500 passengers, and at the same time shrunk the size of the buffet a bit to add speciality restaurants. Prior to that refurb, lines weren't an issue.

BuzzBuzzen

Voyager is a fairly old ship but is well kept.a lot a RC fanatics are fond of her,she was the first mega ship. I like the theatre,La Scala.done up to resemble the Roman theatre with handmade Venican lamps.

You can take 2 bottles of wine with you,there’s a kettle in the cabin.for some reason there is no coffee,only tea bags.so take some coffee with you.

We usually take a coffee plunger and our favourite coffee.get your self a carton of free milk from windjammers.

We always take some of those rectangular fast food containers and get some midnight snacks from the buffet Ann’s put in the fridge.

Nothing like pavlova after a big night.

If you are going to get the drinks package or internet it cheaper to buy it before the cruise as you pay in $AU.on the ship it’s $US

Have cruised 3 times on Voyager & twice on sister ship Explorer. Big ship (for us) with lots of space & great staff. As someone said the theatre is really good, and we find the whole ship layout excellent. At first we preferred the atrium style of Rhapsody and Radiance (also Carnival Spirt & Legend) but have grown to like the Promenade style too :D

Only time we notice crowds is lunch first day in WJ, on the theme night parties in the promenade, and when they have the 'sales' on tables in the promenade. Oh, and I love to watch the queues at Guest Services from a comfortable seat ;)

Make sure you check out the phone box - most are surprised what they find in there. We like to gather some food from WJ and take it out on pool deck - it just seems to be more cruisy. Make sure you set aside some time to just sit & relax in Viking Lounge. Our favourite watering hole is Schooner Bar & we love the Diamond Lounge.

So much to do, so little time. We will be back on board in Mar 2020. I'm sure you will love Voyager.

We enjoyed VOS with our older teens, lots to do.

If you don't feel like a formal breakfast or going to buffet , you can go to the Promenade cafe and pick up nice fruit and yogurt in tubs to take away, also can make hot drinks there and the cookies and sweets are lovely for an afternoon snack.

Thank you , I have read about the Promenade café , so will definitely pop in. Not worried about lineups , we are a very patient couple !

Have cruised 3 times on Voyager & twice on sister ship Explorer. Big ship (for us) with lots of space & great staff. As someone said the theatre is really good, and we find the whole ship layout excellent. At first we preferred the atrium style of Rhapsody and Radiance (also Carnival Spirt & Legend) but have grown to like the Promenade style too :D

Only time we notice crowds is lunch first day in WJ, on the theme night parties in the promenade, and when they have the 'sales' on tables in the promenade. Oh, and I love to watch the queues at Guest Services from a comfortable seat ;)

Make sure you check out the phone box - most are surprised what they find in there. We like to gather some food from WJ and take it out on pool deck - it just seems to be more cruisy. Make sure you set aside some time to just sit & relax in Viking Lounge. Our favourite watering hole is Schooner Bar & we love the Diamond Lounge.

So much to do, so little time. We will be back on board in Mar 2020. I'm sure you will love Voyager.

Great tips, thank you. Embark day lunch in a buffet style is always a mess on any ship we have been on. Leaving from the OPT , we usually have lunch and a drink around the Opera House somewhere before boarding Good photo op spot.We will definitely check the phone box out.

BuzzBuzzen

Voyager is a fairly old ship but is well kept.a lot a RC fanatics are fond of her,she was the first mega ship. I like the theatre,La Scala.done up to resemble the Roman theatre with handmade Venican lamps.

You can take 2 bottles of wine with you,there’s a kettle in the cabin.for some reason there is no coffee,only tea bags.so take some coffee with you.

We usually take a coffee plunger and our favourite coffee.get your self a carton of free milk from windjammers.

We always take some of those rectangular fast food containers and get some midnight snacks from the buffet Ann’s put in the fridge.

Nothing like pavlova after a big night.

If you are going to get the drinks package or internet it cheaper to buy it before the cruise as you pay in $AU.on the ship it’s $US

Thank you , very helpful. Coffee tip is great , it starts our mornings ! It seems nearly everything is a better price when booked before we travel.

One question, when can I book shore excursions etc ?

Thank you , very helpful. Coffee tip is great , it starts our mornings ! It seems nearly everything is a better price when booked before we travel.

With your booking you should have a 7 digit RC booking number.

First you have to set up a RC account then you go to your cruise planner .

From memory about 8 or 10 months not sure about that.

If you’re in a suite you get priority boarding and disembarking.

If you’re in a standard cabin,at a tender port it’s good to get a shore excursion through the ship so you don’t have to go through the hassle of lineups.

I find the the ship excursions are quite reasonable on price.not the cheapest but reasonable.

One more piece of advice Royal Caribbean is the master of false advertising.their specials have no savings.

They will send you emails about 30%of your cruise planner but there’s no savings.

My advice is to book what you want and if the price goes down.all you have to do is cancel and rebook.easy no charge,no questions.they will refund your credit card and then recharge it.

Great tips, thank you. Embark day lunch in a buffet style is always a mess on any ship we have been on. Leaving from the OPT , we usually have lunch and a drink around the Opera House somewhere before boarding.

We often do the same, board a bit later (1.30-2pm) and the check in queues are gone as well

You can check out what sort of excursions may be offered at anytime on the ports of call section of the website but can only book through your cruise planner. Some excursions will come out fairly early, others will not come out until 3 months out, you really need to monitor this for each cruise if you want a particular one and of course watch for specials.

With your booking you should have a 7 digit RC booking number.

First you have to set up a RC account then you go to your cruise planner .

From memory about 8 or 10 months not sure about that.

If you’re in a suite you get priority boarding and disembarking.

If you’re in a standard cabin,at a tender port it’s good to get a shore excursion through the ship so you don’t have to go through the hassle of lineups.

I find the the ship excursions are quite reasonable on price.not the cheapest but reasonable.

One more piece of advice Royal Caribbean is the master of false advertising.their specials have no savings.

They will send you emails about 30%of your cruise planner but there’s no savings.

My advice is to book what you want and if the price goes down.all you have to do is cancel and rebook.easy no charge,no questions.they will refund your credit card and then recharge it.

Wow , thank you very much . I have set up the RC account , only have balcony cabin , so I usually book ship excursions anyway to save any extra worries.

You can check out what sort of excursions may be offered at anytime on the ports of call section of the website but can only book through your cruise planner. Some excursions will come out fairly early, others will not come out until 3 months out, you really need to monitor this for each cruise if you want a particular one and of course watch for specials.

Thanks Mic , I will watch closely :)

Thanks Mic , I will watch closely :)

That was quick ! RC has allocated a cabin to us already , 500 + days out. Since it was our first time booking a guarantee , so far so good. I suppose that may change many times before we sail but good to see anyway.