Planning My First Cruise: Cruise Packing - Cruise Wardrobe

ChuckL88

Hi guys

I am looking for advice on what to pack for my first cruise, lets start with clothing.

I will be sailing on the Carnival Spirit from Sydney Australia to New Caledonia, on a 9 night cruise departing December 9th 2019.

This is my rough clothing packing list

Shoes

Casual shoes

Dress shoes

Gym shoes

Thongs

Reef shoes

Underwear

Trunks (20)

Casual socks (10)

Dress socks (2)

Gym socks (3)

Sleepwear

Sleep pants

Sleep shorts

Long sleeve sleep shirt

Short sleeve sleep shirt

Tops

Dress shirts (2)

Casual shirts (5)

T-shirts (10)

Gym shirt

Suit jacket

Light jacket/jumper

Bottoms

Chino shorts (5)

Jeans (3)

Chinos (2)

Board shorts (2)

Gym shorts

Dress pants

Accessories

Casual belt

Dress belt

Ties (optional) (2)

Cap

Sunglasses

Thanks in advance

You won't need warm clothes. I would ditch the light jacket/jumper and reduce the 3 jeans to 2 or even 1. Some of the 'multiples' in underwear and socks seem excessive, but they do not take up much space or weight.

Have a great time.:)

I agree,less jeans.

As for underwear, I’m on holidays.

List looks good.

If you want to save space you could get away with reducing the tops down. Wearing them more then once. I always pack more underwear as i find ill often shower in the morning and again just before dinner especially if its been a hot sweaty day or ive been in the pool. Maybe 1 less pair of jeans. My first trip to new caledonia and i was in cargo pants a thin jumper and a jacket as it was raining. It was also colder on the ship than i expected and i was grateful for my extra pants

Way, way too much for nine days to New Caledonia. You would have to change clothes three times a day to use them all.

Thongs and reef shoes fine. Gym shoes could also be casual shoes. Dress shoes very optional.

Halve the underwear and socks. Don't need socks when wearing thongs. One set of pyjamas, preferably the shorts.

Halve the shirts. Drop the suit jacket, keep the light jacket.

Halve the shorts. One belt could do duty for dress and casual.

Ties are very optional. Add a proper hat with brim and spare sunglasses.

Even that is overkill. Unless you have your own Sherpa, in which case everything is fine as they can carry it.;)

Way, way too much for nine days to New Caledonia. You would have to change clothes three times a day to use them all.

Thongs and reef shoes fine. Gym shoes could also be casual shoes. Dress shoes very optional.

Halve the underwear and socks. Don't need socks when wearing thongs. One set of pyjamas, preferably the shorts.

Halve the shirts. Drop the suit jacket, keep the light jacket.

Halve the shorts. One belt could do duty for dress and casual.

Ties are very optional. Add a proper hat with brim and spare sunglasses.

Even that is overkill. Unless you have your own Sherpa, in which case everything is fine as they can carry it.;)

Hey Sinbad

First thing first are you a porter?

List looks good.

If you want to save space you could get away with reducing the tops down. Wearing them more then once. I always pack more underwear as i find ill often shower in the morning and again just before dinner especially if its been a hot sweaty day or ive been in the pool. Maybe 1 less pair of jeans. My first trip to new caledonia and i was in cargo pants a thin jumper and a jacket as it was raining. It was also colder on the ship than i expected and i was grateful for my extra pants

Hey Nelie

Thanks for the advice, I guess cutting down to 5 t-shirts would work just as well. I am always seeing people say wearing the same clothes again doesn't hurt, but I would prefer not to have to wash. I also see what you mean about the jeans as I won't be in them that often

Hi guys

I am looking for advice on what to pack for my first cruise, lets start with clothing.

I will be sailing on the Carnival Spirit from Sydney Australia to New Caledonia, on a 9 night cruise departing December 9th 2019.

This is my rough clothing packing list

Shoes

Casual shoes

Dress shoes

Gym shoes

Thongs

Reef shoes

Underwear

Trunks (20)

Casual socks (10)

Dress socks (2)

Gym socks (3)

Sleepwear

Sleep pants

Sleep shorts

Long sleeve sleep shirt

Short sleeve sleep shirt

Tops

Dress shirts (2)

Casual shirts (5)

T-shirts (10)

Gym shirt

Suit jacket

Light jacket/jumper

Bottoms

Chino shorts (5)

Jeans (3)

Chinos (2)

Board shorts (2)

Gym shorts

Dress pants

Accessories

Casual belt

Dress belt

Ties (optional) (2)

Cap

Sunglasses

Thanks in advance

Hi guys this was my reasoning for what I picked.

Lets start with "cruise elegant" night

I will attend at least the first evening, and I wanted a nice formal experience so wanted to wear a suit maybe with a tie. So 2 dress shirts (in case I attend both nights), dress shoes and socks, dress pants and suit jacket and optional ties with a nice belt.

I will be hitting the gym daily so that is the workout wear, I guess I could have casual shoes do double duty.

Also heard it can be colder than you expect on the ship and island, that was the reason for warmer pj's and a light jacket.

I don't know about everyone else but I like to wear a clean pair of underwear everyday, and seeing as I will be swimming daily a change of underwear is necessary in my opinion. Same goes for the socks one pair a day as I will be wearing them every night.

A believe the two board shorts works well as they don't take long to dry. The shorts are for days when not in pool or beach and some warmer nights also. Jeans and chinos for most nights.

A t-shirt a day might be a bit much, but being my first cruise that is what I thought of and I really do not want to do laundry. The casual shirts can be worn alone at night or unbuttoned over a tee.

Hi guys

Thanks in advance

ChuckL88

First time we cruised ( 2008 ) I asked much the same question though didn’t include a list and some “old salt” gave the following advice (sure others on here will have heard variations and given it before too) but have never forgotten it and still do it to this day.

Lay out everything you think you will need to pack for your cruise - then halve it.

Then double the money you were planning to take and you will be set.

That’s it - simples [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Sinbad

First thing first are you a porter?

The name comes from the Sinbad the Sailor stories.

Sinbad the Porter is a poor guy who spends the day slogging around Baghdad carrying heavy loads. He finds out that there is another guy called Sinbad who used to be a sailor and is very, very rich.

Sinbad the porter goes and has a big whinge to Sinbad the sailor about how unfair it all is that someone can go cruising around the ocean having fun and picking up big bucks, while he breaks his back for shekels. So Sinbad the sailor tells him his stories about what he had to go through to get rich. Thus are the Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor.

So yes, I am morally opposed to heavy loads. ;)

Edited by SinbadThePorter

I will attend at least the first evening, and I wanted a nice formal experience so wanted to wear a suit maybe with a tie. So 2 dress shirts (in case I attend both nights), dress shoes and socks, dress pants and suit jacket and optional ties with a nice belt.

I will be hitting the gym daily so that is the workout wear, I guess I could have casual shoes do double duty.

Also heard it can be colder than you expect on the ship and island, that was the reason for warmer pj's and a light jacket.

I don't know about everyone else but I like to wear a clean pair of underwear everyday, and seeing as I will be swimming daily a change of underwear is necessary in my opinion. Same goes for the socks one pair a day as I will be wearing them every night.

A believe the two board shorts works well as they don't take long to dry. The shorts are for days when not in pool or beach and some warmer nights also. Jeans and chinos for most nights.

A t-shirt a day might be a bit much, but being my first cruise that is what I thought of and I really do not want to do laundry. The casual shirts can be worn alone at night or unbuttoned over a tee.

ChuckL88

You seem more than happy with the reasoning for your packing list, so go with it and enjoy your cruise [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If that’s your reasoning, go with it.

I still think it’s too much but my packing has decreased dramatically over the years.

Ie dress shirt, you’ll have it on for a couple of hours at most, so it can cover two night easily, but that’s just my opinion.

I usually shower before dinner and then clean clothes, they then do double duty the next day. I don’t bother with dress shoes, but take walking shoes that can do double duty, sure they wouldn’t e upmonscratch or a true formal event but they pass muster on a Cruise.

I’m also happy to do a load of smalls (or in my case, not so smalls).

Well I think you are taking to much underwear. After all if you wear one pair one day, the next day reverse them, then the next day turn then inside out and then the next day reverse them again - that should give you four days of wear - at least that was normal practice when I was a young soldier and Mum was not around to do the washing.

Fortunately I have a wife now and due to an ongoing hemorhoids problems can only get away with two days.

As they say, old habits are hard to give up.

Just don't admit to this lifesaving practice to others on the cruise or you may find you have no friends to talk with and will probably find yourself by yourself at the dining table.

But you have to admit, it does cut down on your packing for the cruise!

I have just read your quote above

Because you are going to swim every day, you could extend the wearing of underpants to 8 days!! (Wear your jocks under your swimmers and they will get washed, rinsed and faded thats for sure)

And yes, soxs definately reversible so two days per pair there! (if you wear them while swimming two pairs will last the cruise)

I will get you down to a small carryon backpack soon!

Edited by Bpos

Sorry to butt in here (and I'm female) ..........Chuck, can I offer some advice? Well, I'm going to anyway. Don't try and overthink it. OK?

My tip is to divide your cruise days by 3. You are on a 9 day cruise so - just divide all your packing by 3. Easy peasy - but you will need to wash (and rinse) undies most nights - and if you're too hung over, just do it under the shower in the morning.

I can easily pack clothes, "formal night" attire, undies sleepwear, dailywear, toiletries (and laundry stuff) into a carryon.

It's only 9 days ... settle! Relax and enjoy your cruise. It's not a fashion parade!

My DH - who always overpacks :rolleyes: just looked over my shoulder at your cruise packing list and said - "Don't be a silly boy! You won't need most of that stuff!" He actually used another word than 'silly boy', but we can't use that word here. ;p

Lay out everything you think you will need to pack for your cruise - then halve it.

Then double the money you were planning to take and you will be set.

This is actually really sound advice :) I mean, obviously do what you want and bring what you're comfortable bringing, but over a bunch of trips, I've learnt what works for me.

For a 9 day trip, I would pack something like the following:

11 pairs undies

11 pairs socks (9 white, 2 black)

6-7 t-shirts/polo shirts

2 dress shirts

2-3 merino base layers (2 longsleeve, 1 shortsleeve)

1 jacket

1 jumper

1 pair tracky dacks

3-4 pairs shorts

2-3 pairs lightweight travel pants/zippoff pants

1 pair dress pants

1 pair dress shoes

1 pair sturdy walking shoes

1 pair thongs

2 swimshorts

2 rashies

Sure, I like a clean change of undies every day. But if I've worn a pair for a couple of hours then have a swim, I don't need to change undies at that point, I can just put on the cleanish pair I'd just been wearing, and then change at the end of the day.

I've stopped packing jeans for travel. Too bulky and heavy, and terrible to wash and dry.

Most shirts are good for a double-wear unless you've been sweating profusely or spilled something on them. Pants are definitely good for multiple wears.

To be honest, for our last few 4-5 week trips, I pack the above as well, just assume I'll do laundry at various points. My basic strategy is to pack for a week regardless of the actual length of the trip.

I would not think the OP would need a suit jacket and dress shirts on Carnival Spirit, a bit overdressed? Light trousers and polo shirt would suffice for the MDR.:hearteyes:

I was on ye olde Carnival Spirit in 2006, Alaska, an American ship then, 99% Tuxedos. How times change.