Can we drop bags in at OPT Sydney, and check in a couple of hours later?

FunforGin

Hi, back on Golden Princess again next month, and my friend and I arrive at Sydney Airport at 9.15am. Plenty of time to catch a train into Circular Quay and make our way to the OPT.

If flight arrives on time, we will have a few hours to kill before boarding but don't want to drag our suitcases around with us....so.....the big question is can we drop our bags then go hang out in Circular Quay area for a few hours then return to offically check in?

Has anyone done this?:halo::halo:

Hi, back on Golden Princess again next month, and my friend and I arrive at Sydney Airport at 9.15am. Plenty of time to catch a train into Circular Quay and make our way to the OPT.

If flight arrives on time, we will have a few hours to kill before boarding but don't want to drag our suitcases around with us....so.....the big question is can we drop our bags then go hang out in Circular Quay area for a few hours then return to offically check in?

Has anyone done this?:halo::halo:

Yes.

I think about 8:30 is the earliest we have dropped our bags.

Agree with all the others, we have dropped our bags off as early as 8am, then gone back to the hotel for breakfast, wandered around for a couple of hours, checked out of hotel at 11am and checked in for the cruise.

there is even time for a few pre-cruise drinkles in The Rocks

;p;p

Yep FunforGin done exactly what you are proposing, flew into Sydney got train to Circular Quay, walked over to OPT dropped our luggage then spent a good few hours exploring Sydney before heading back to OPT to board ship, and just walked right on, no queues at all easiest embarkation. Cheers V

FunforGin easy straight walk, but the cobblestone can be an issue especially if you don't have 4 wheel suitcases, these are much easier to handle on the cobblestone. I have done it with 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled and 4 wheeled is now my preferred suitcase. I would say it would be about 10 mins, but plenty of chairs to stop and enjoy the view if you need to rest for a minute or two. There is no rush so just take your time. But an option could be taxi from the airport as if there are 2 of you the fare is around $19 each (some one may confirm this) and taxi fare could be approx $45 roughly...food for thought...cheers V

How long does it take to walk from train at Circular Quay to the OPT? Neither of us are particularly mobile (osteo-arthritis) and I'm worried about the walk - particularly with a suitcase.....?

It's about 400m. It's completely flat, but the surface isn't perfectly level (the area around Circular Quay is paved). It's a level bitumen surface once you turn the corner and head away from the wharves.

It normally takes me about 5 minutes to walk, or 15 if I'm stopping constantly to take photos of my new "home away from home"!

FunforGin,

DH and I both have osteoarthritis problems too and we can manage the walk to or from the OPT to the station easily with a suitcase and backpack each. As Kangakid said, there are plenty of benches to rest for a moment or two. Our last cruise from Sydney in 2017, we took a taxi to the OPT and a train back to the airport after the cruise. .

Leigh

How long does it take to walk from train at Circular Quay to the OPT? Neither of us are particularly mobile (osteo-arthritis) and I'm worried about the walk - particularly with a suitcase.....?

I spend half my life in a wheelchair, but when I’m hobbling I can manage the walk.

As an alternative to taxi or walk to the train, but have only used it to get to the airport, not from - near the terminal building stands a gentleman selling $15 tickets on the shuttle to the airport, and the shuttle is parked right beside him. The price may have increased in the last 12 months, but still cheaper and more convenient than the train.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Between $50 and $60 depending on day and time.

Leigh

That is what we have found. We have had it at $50 and at $55. For the small amount more than going by train for two people, we wouldn't bother trying to manage our suitcases and hand luggage onto and off a train, then walk to the OPT. Taxis for us. :)

As an alternative to taxi or walk to the train, but have only used it to get to the airport, not from - near the terminal building stands a gentleman selling $15 tickets on the shuttle to the airport, and the shuttle is parked right beside him. The price may have increased in the last 12 months, but still cheaper and more convenient than the train.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I will look for him next time. The only times we have used shuttles, then have going the rounds of the hotels first and dropping us at the cruise terminal last. With going the 'scenic' route, it took much more than an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half.

That is what we have found. We have had it at $50 and at $55. For the small amount more than going by train for two people, we wouldn't bother trying to manage our suitcases and hand luggage onto and off a train, then walk to the OPT. Taxis for us. :)

We tend to take a taxi from the airport but if returning back to Melbourne immediately after a cruise will use the train as we usually have a flight after 12 pm booked, we take our time and wander down to the station, enjoying the view and it's fun to people watch while doing so. Fortunately we haven't had rain to contend with when walking from the OPT.

Leigh