Hurricane Irma

Jim Avery

• Administrators
As I expected, today I got written information through my german travel agency from the German TUI Travel agent. TUI is one of the major sales agents for Seadream in Germany. Our Seadream Cruise out of Marigot end of November this year is canceled due to FORCE MAYEUR. They will refund the deposit completely. They did not offer any other Seadream cruise at this time.

I feel very sad for Seadream and hope that they will recover from this economic crises.

I try to cancel my flight bookings with KLM Airlines to SXM and the hotel bookings and hope for refunds.

Hello all,

We have been informed by SeaDream early this morning that there have been no adjustments made to any voyages at this time (9/15). That is the only information we have at this time.

Laura

Just read on the St. Maarten La Samanna resort website that they do not anticipate being able to accommodate guests until April 2018. Good news for them was that no one was injured during the storm (closed for the season and only staff were on the island).

If SeaDream still plans to use St Maarten as an arrival/departure port they may have difficulty finding hotel spaces for passengers arriving early (as we had planned to arrive a day early on Nov 19). I believe that SeaDream will probably have a handle on the situation within the next week or so and start to make adjustments as deemed necessary.

St. Maarten is a very important and valuable port for RCI with its massive ships (special pier), so I would guess there will be some outside resources that will help with an quick recovery for the port but the infrastructure of the town may take a while. San Juan and maybe St Thomas might become alternatives for arrival/departure of the northern Carib itineraries.

These folks depend upon tourism and Irma has struck a mighty blow.

Just read on the St. Maarten La Samanna resort website that they do not anticipate being able to accommodate guests until April 2018. Good news for them was that no one was injured during the storm (closed for the season and only staff were on the island).

If SeaDream still plans to use St Maarten as an arrival/departure port they may have difficulty finding hotel spaces for passengers arriving early (as we had planned to arrive a day early on Nov 19). I believe that SeaDream will probably have a handle on the situation within the next week or so and start to make adjustments as deemed necessary.

St. Maarten is a very important and valuable port for RCI with its massive ships (special pier), so I would guess there will be some outside resources that will help with an quick recovery for the port but the infrastructure of the town may take a while. San Juan and maybe St Thomas might become alternatives for arrival/departure of the northern Carib itineraries.

These folks depend upon tourism and Irma has struck a mighty blow.

Agree! Plus, from all that I've heard, the airport had sustained major damage, so any flights with tourists may not be an option for a little bit. Obviously, planes are landing with much needed aid relief, but that is a very different situation.

I'm sure they'll be able to get the logistics worked out and be able to use other ports, but I'm sure it is no easy task.

And now MARIA????? Just what these folks need is another strong storm. This one seems headed straight at Puerto Rico as a possible Cat 4. Just when I was hoping that San Juan might be able to recover prior to Winter Season, Maria spins up. These folks cannot get a break. Some of the video that is not coming out about USVI and BVI is simply incredible. Nothing Green ANYWHERE.

Hey SeaDream - how about Costa Rica for one of the ships? Just kidding of course. Management is doing their best and will come up with a plan.

I've noticed that some lines are moving their ships up the east coast to do foliage cruises. That would be nice, but I don't think I'd enjoy eating on deck or drinking at the TOY bar in January off the coast of Halifax.

Here's hoping the islands are spared more destruction from the hurricanes whirling about the Caribbean now. And anxious to find out what SeaDream might have in store for us.

And anxious to find out what SeaDream might have in store for us.

Miami to Jacksonville???:eek: Just kidding. The ABC Islands might be nice but don't know how the cruise ship slots work. There are limits to how many ships an island can accommodate at one time.

I still think they double intin out of Barbados. Have told Mary that since we heard about Irma. Bequia (sp?) and all of St Vincent are easy. Barbados can double up if needed as arrival/departure port. Good airport for Europe folks. Not going to be a lot to do, but keeps sailing.

OR>>>>>>>> put one of the ships is Drydock for a major REFIT. Expand Bathrooms and shrink stateroom area. Update all of the exposed deck. Just saying, Corporate takes the major hit (sorry about the Corporate Charters) and updates one of the ships. Then flips the Itin and does the other SD. At some point they have to be thinking about it, perfect timing and maybe "insurance" pays for some of it. Ok, yes I have had a glass or 2 of wine before posting,,,, just saying.

Anyway, if there is an SD in the Carib for Thanksgiving week, Mary and I are on board. She never has to call a single port, other than to assist the locals.

We need an expert to weigh in on the issue - any Brits out there with an opinion??? Hum?????

Signing off, good luck to the locals with Maria. This one could be very significant.

I still think they double intin out of Barbados. Have told Mary that since we heard about Irma. Bequia (sp?) and all of St Vincent are easy. Barbados can double up if needed as arrival/departure port. Good airport for Europe folks. Not going to be a lot to do, but keeps sailing.

OR>>>>>>>> put one of the ships is Drydock for a major REFIT. Expand Bathrooms and shrink stateroom area. Update all of the exposed deck. Just saying, Corporate takes the major hit (sorry about the Corporate Charters) and updates one of the ships. Then flips the Itin and does the other SD. At some point they have to be thinking about it, perfect timing and maybe "insurance" pays for some of it. Ok, yes I have had a glass or 2 of wine before posting,,,, just saying.

Anyway, if there is an SD in the Carib for Thanksgiving week, Mary and I are on board. She never has to call a single port, other than to assist the locals.

We need an expert to weigh in on the issue - any Brits out there with an opinion??? Hum?????

Signing off, good luck to the locals with Maria. This one could be very significant.

I had to laugh at you stating you had a glass or 2 of wine. I've been there, so I totally understand :-) May I ask why you stated their wouldn't be a lot to do if they were to R/T out of Barbados? Were you talking Barbados or that itinerary in general? I haven't looked at it much, but am just curious on your thoughts.

This will be our first SD trip, but from all I've heard, a major refurb would probably be an excellent idea. And you're right, this may be the perfect time for that to happen.

I know they are working on figuring everything out.

And I agree, Maria is not looking good for all of those poor people already in a terrible position. Best wishes to all of them. I can't begin to imagine what these past couple of weeks have been like for them.

I am on SeaDream in March 2018 (our first cruise with SD) and live on the island of St John USVI and was on island for Irma. Evacuated last week on Wednesday to PR the plane to Richmond VA with our 2 dogs and a cat in tow and then a 20 hour drive to Kansas City to be with family while we regroup.

Total devastation on St John, Tortola and most of the BVI's - for those of you who know Mic from Soggy Dollar I finally spoke with him yesterday and he has now checked in as safe so that it a relief after not hearing from him when others were checking in.

Pia

I am on SeaDream in March 2018 (our first cruise with SD) and live on the island of St John USVI and was on island for Irma. Evacuated last week on Wednesday to PR the plane to Richmond VA with our 2 dogs and a cat in tow and then a 20 hour drive to Kansas City to be with family while we regroup.

Total devastation on St John, Tortola and most of the BVI's - for those of you who know Mic from Soggy Dollar I finally spoke with him yesterday and he has now checked in as safe so that it a relief after not hearing from him when others were checking in.

Pia

Pia

So happy to hear that you guys are okay and safe here in the Midwest (we live in KC too):D I can only imagine what it must be like to see such devastation around your home. Best wishes for putting your lives back together. Glad that you are safe and hope that everyone you know is able to rebuild and get back to life on a beautiful island.