Booking a kid on Hurtigruten

sjgertz

Hi All,

My 7 year old has been begging to go to Norway (not sure why) and we're planning to indulge her next June. Looking into the Hurtigruten ships we have picked a ship and an itinerary that make sense for us (three of their ships have children's programming in the summer).

On the website it books her as full fare. Anyone travel with a child on Hurtigruten? Is she really full fare?

Thanks - and yes I know there is no entertainment on this ship and it is for the scenery - this is the kid who asked to go to Paris for her 6th birthday where she just wanted to sit and look at a view of the city. She will do fine looking at fjords passing by.

It’s my understanding that children up to age of 15 are free. Alternative to Hurtigruten are also ‘ordinary cruises’ - example is Royal Caribbean out of Copenhagen, but many more - also from Southampton and Amsterdam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s my understanding that children up to age of 15 are free.

No I don't think that is true, or maybe only for short port-to-port with no cabin. When booking a cabin, infants (under 4 years) travel for free but older children pay full price indeed. If you want to be sure this is right, maybe drop an email to Hurtigruten (email adress on the website you are using).

Hi All,

My 7 year old has been begging to go to Norway (not sure why) and we're planning to indulge her next June. Looking into the Hurtigruten ships we have picked a ship and an itinerary that make sense for us (three of their ships have children's programming in the summer).

On the website it books her as full fare. Anyone travel with a child on Hurtigruten? Is she really full fare?

Thanks - and yes I know there is no entertainment on this ship and it is for the scenery - this is the kid who asked to go to Paris for her 6th birthday where she just wanted to sit and look at a view of the city. She will do fine looking at fjords passing by.

What a delight your child must be wanting to visit Paris at 6 then Norway at 7. You are blessed to be able to enjoy travel through her eyes. I treasure the memories of travelling with our young daughters to Europe and US. By the time my elder daughter and I cruised on Hurtigruten, she was an adult. It was a favourite cruise for both us, as there is so much to see, on both sides of the ship

When you are booking, it does allow you select Children (4-15) or infants (0-3). I did a search on their site and could find no reference to what this means price wise. I suspect as someone else posted that 4-15 years are full fare.

And as a side issue - just noticed there is a Seniors option. Do they get a discount? I can do a dummy booking to see if it makes a difference, but I don't know if an Australian Senior would be eligible or just EU members.

When you are booking, it does allow you select Children (4-15) or infants (0-3). I did a search on their site and could find no reference to what this means price wise. I suspect as someone else posted that 4-15 years are full fare.

And as a side issue - just noticed there is a Seniors option. Do they get a discount? I can do a dummy booking to see if it makes a difference, but I don't know if an Australian Senior would be eligible or just EU members.

I don't recall getting a seniors discount, but we did get a discount for a prior cruise with Hurtigruten.

And as a side issue - just noticed there is a Seniors option. Do they get a discount?

There is actually a senior discount, but that is only when booking a cabin only (not on the full trip/full board). You can book a cabin only if you stay 4 nights at the most on the ship, so very handy when you do port to port. If you stay 5 nights or more, it's automatically the full board offer and no discount for seniors. I don't know if it is available to Australian but it was available to French. They only asked the age of the passenger so my guess is that it should be available to all nationalities (but no guarantee).

Maybe there is a similar discount for kids 4-15 on short trips.

There is actually a senior discount, but that is only when booking a cabin only (not on the full trip/full board).

Maybe there is a similar discount for kids 4-15 on short trips.

That makes sense. I didn't really expect to get a Senior discount - I imagine a large percentage of the customers would be Seniors. I still can't find the info on their EURO web site. Maybe it's on the Norwegian version.

Yes they have reduced fares for kids but it is very hard to get that to appear when doing a booking on their website. Believe me I tried when doing it for our upcoming trip! (2 adults and 2 kids) Ring them and book direct. I called from Australia and had it all sorted in ten minutes! As a guide a polar inside cabin was 1200 pounds for an adult and 900 for the child rate (11 night Bergen to Bergen round trip).

Yes they have reduced fares for kids but it is very hard to get that to appear when doing a booking on their website. Believe me I tried when doing it for our upcoming trip! (2 adults and 2 kids) Ring them and book direct. I called from Australia and had it all sorted in ten minutes! As a guide a polar inside cabin was 1200 pounds for an adult and 900 for the child rate (11 night Bergen to Bergen round trip).

For anyone else living on the other side of the world, I used the on-line chat function on their web page - worked really well to sort out an issue I was having trying to book tickets. Lady was very helpful and perfect english of course.