Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Today DH & I traveled back to our old town. DH has been doing an annual fundraiser for United Way and local homeless veterans for many years on his Oldies radio program. While he was raising $45,000!!! (wonderful for the recipients...), I was shopping:) -

Labels include: Banana Republic, Talbot's, LL Bean, Ralph Lauren, Land's End, Nautica, Ann Taylor, Liz Claiborne and White House Black Market....ALL from my favorite Goodwill Store...I tried on 21 pieces of clothing and bought 15...at a total cost of $45.00.

Most items are winter but got a couple cruise-worthy tops and my best bargain was an LBD, White House Black Market with 3/4 sleeves:cool:.

I am beyond happy with my bag of goodies. The LBD will be perfect for the January cruise out of Bayonne.

It is wonderful that your husband gives his time and talent to such great causes.

Looks like your really scored at the store. It is great to walk out with full bags.

e79defceb442bedfe27c794a526d5211.jpg

Just posting a picture from the library on Norwegian Star, my next booked cruise.

Just an experiment to see if you can see it.

Wore my previously posted long sleeved anchor shirt today. Met my cruising roomie for dinner and she immediately said"are we going on a cruise?"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

e79defceb442bedfe27c794a526d5211.jpg

Just posting a picture from the library on Norwegian Star, my next booked cruise.

Just an experiment to see if you can see it.

Wore my previously posted long sleeved anchor shirt today. Met my cruising roomie for dinner and she immediately said"are we going on a cruise?"

Yes I can see it. Happy to hear that you have another cruise booked

I think there's someone on this link going on the Horizon TA too! We just chose not to fly to Spain. Taking the Star over.

I will be on the Horizon TA - this will be my fifth transatlantic (yes you do become addicted)....and I think I have convinced hubby to start out trip in PARIS!!! (always wanted to go and my bday is in April so this is perfect).... I have been to Barcelona many time but he has not - but we both want to see Paris - so will head out a few days early and spend some time there and then take the train to BCN (hubby also loves trains LOL)....and spend a few days there pre-cruise! :)

I will be on the Horizon TA - this will be my fifth transatlantic (yes you do become addicted)....and I think I have convinced hubby to start out trip in PARIS!!! (always wanted to go and my bday is in April so this is perfect).... I have been to Barcelona many time but he has not - but we both want to see Paris - so will head out a few days early and spend some time there and then take the train to BCN (hubby also loves trains LOL)....and spend a few days there pre-cruise! :)

That sounds GRAND! We will be there on the 6th. Arriving on NCL Star. On the 8th were taking a foodie tour. Can't wait.

I also love planning outfits and usually take over a spare room for the planning stage. I love tropical easy care fabric items, too! I like to put whole outfits together with everything that will be worn with them - underclothing, jewelry, the works! - into gallon zip bags. Keeps everything organized and I never have to worry about anything spilling on my bag. My kids joke about getting voted "most prepared" at Girl Scout camp from me doing this for each day of camp. :')

At least they were never the kid who got to camp with two pairs of underwear for 2 weeks. :cool:

I am LOVING this thread, Indiana 71 you are so right about the self-pampering, I ain't dressing for nobody but me! And in some cases I will take my husband's feelings into account.

I'm about 50 days out from my first Caribbean cruise so I'm trying to take advantage of off-season items in the sales. I did just pay full price for a gorgeous cover-up/play suit which I'm only ever going to be able to wear in tropical climes, the shorts are just too short otherwise! I don't think I have anything cruise-specific but after reading this thread I might pick up a little cocktail dress which won't crease as I am definitely going to the MDR for formal night....I had been thinking about just wearing a sundress or slightly dressier top and skirt but I think you fashionistas have changed my mind!

So for a 6 day cruise, I'm thinking

2 shorts- 1 denim, 1 chino

2 sundresses

1 cocktail dress

2 coverups for beach/ pool/ lunch

1 skirt, denim or neutral colour jersey

4-5 tops that work with shorts and skirt

Gym shoes

Flip flops

Pool shoes

Dressier flat shoes ( I don't really do heels)

1 hoodie/ cardigan

1 lightweight wrap/scarf

Reading this over, it sounds like less than I've taken on any holiday, ever! So I'd definitely day that planning ahead ensures you don't overpack. Too much. I'll probably throw in a few extras before I close the case, but I've bought some packing cubes, so if those babies are full, there's no more getting in!

Aren't we so lucky we have a place like this to discuss these things? 😊

Geocruiser, thrift shops in Manhattan are the holy grail. On our last holiday in New York, I bought two Ralph Lauren blazers and a cashmere sweater for under $30, it was a highlight of the vacation. It was a couple of years ago, I just hope I can make my way back to the shop when I'm next there!

• 1 month later...

Happy 2018 everyone!! I used to be active in this thread years ago... life picked up, but finally have another cruise planned for Dec 10th!! I haven't been on a cruise in almost 2 years, and we're (hubby and i) going to the Southern Caribbean for the first time!! So excited, I've been reading everyone's posts trying to catch up. 322 days to go....

Happy 2018 everyone!! I used to be active in this thread years ago... life picked up, but finally have another cruise planned for Dec 10th!! I haven't been on a cruise in almost 2 years, and we're (hubby and i) going to the Southern Caribbean for the first time!! So excited, I've been reading everyone's posts trying to catch up. 322 days to go....

How exciting for you. We leave April 22 for our first TA

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you amaf1123. We are really looking forward to it.

Spending time in Florida with my daughter so I've done some selective adding to my cruise wardrobe. Easy to pack has never been more important.

I bought a new rolling duffle last fall and I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. We now have to do self disembark for a excursion and I'm not sure a hard side wouldn't have been easier. Samsonite now has a new line where the suitcase is wider rather than taller. So imagine a tall suitcase turned on its side. Much easier to roll. It's just really expensive. Giving it allot of thought.

• 2 weeks later...

What a good idea! I am so meticulous about planning everything but I never thought about planning clothes for each day. We are traveling with a 2 year old so this could be life changing. We have 54 days until our next cruise. We sailed last year in May and we were married on the ship! I must have brought my whole closet and our room was a mess

What a good idea! I am so meticulous about planning everything but I never thought about planning clothes for each day. We are traveling with a 2 year old so this could be life changing. We have 54 days until our next cruise. We sailed last year in May and we were married on the ship! I must have brought my whole closet and our room was a mess

I have started planing my clothing too. I also take a picture of each outfit for future reference.

Finding this thread has been a relief for me... I thought I was crazy since I started planning outfits for our next cruise as soon as it was booked. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I've been laying them out and taking photos just to keep my mind from swirling at all the possibilities.

Today I'm trying on things for my travel day - an all day affair from Canada to Ft. Lauderdale. My grey pants are a must as they are tailored soft, stretchy material that looks dressy while feeling like track pants. The top, well, that has been harder.

38 days till we leave for Eastern and then Western Caribbean. :D

p.s. I've gone back and read the ancient history on this post.

I've done a good bit of shopping damage while in Florida. Even had a new suitcase shipped home.

Once I'm finally in Indiana I'll start the sorting and trying on. Since the second TA is Carnivals new Horizon, I expect there to be a couple of dressier options than the first on Norwegian. I intend to have a packing cube just for carnival dress clothes and not even unpack it.

I'm sure I'll not get it all right, or be able to take as much as I want, but looking forward to the adventure! What I wear in NY for a few days after, will just have to come from cruise clothes!

I am excited to have found this. A helpful solution to hand washing things that can't be dryed.

Edited by sunnydaygirl

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I have been on this site and was just looking up to see if there was any pics ( a lady that cruised with her hub) and wore gorgeous gowns . Can not think of her name, but does she still post pics? I know

a lot would know who I mean.