Connecting at ORD, American Eagle from BNA to AA flight to LHR, 1 hour and 8 minutes

rervousneck

It appears the flights will be from the same terminal. Is a little over an hour long enough to connect?

The other option is to fly an hour earlier (5 a.m.).

Interesting flight to London. We get there at bed time. 10:45 p.m. I would think that would help get adjusted to the six hour difference.

My personal preference is to have at least three hours for a domestic to international connect. Usually that is more than sufficient. Usually. Even if your originating flight lands on time, your international flight will be boarding when you rush over to the gate. It may be a "legal" connection, but it is certainly not a secure one. I would never book it.

I have made a 1:05 connection at ORD - flying from DUB, onto YQB, however we went through US preclearance at DUB. We did however change terminals. That said, I would not necessarily be comfortable with that timing, considering that missing your connection would mean losing your lovely morning flight, and flying out later that afternoon or evening.

My personal preference is to have at least three hours for a domestic to international connect. Usually that is more than sufficient. Usually. Even if your originating flight lands on time, your international flight will be boarding when you rush over to the gate. It may be a "legal" connection, but it is certainly not a secure one. I would never book it.

Huh? We are flying from Nashville to London on the same airline with a connecting flight in Chicago. Why three hours?

Security in Nashville, and london only? No additional security at ORD?

Huh? We are flying from Nashville to London on the same airline with a connecting flight in Chicago. Why three hours?

That is an excellent question. Until recently I flew over 125,000 miles annually (both domestic and international) with Delta and partners. (Although the analysis applies to any airline.) Most of the connections went relatively smoothly. However, enough of the connections went upside down for a variety of reasons that I am very aware of the consequences of a missed flight. The greater the consequences of a missed connect the longer time I plan for the connection. It's a risk/reward analysis.

Not long ago I had a TUS-PHX-SEA itinerary on AA. Knowingly, eyes wide open, I scheduled a connect in PHX for about 50 minutes. Oops. The flight out of TUS was delayed several hours because the inbound flight was late. Everyone who had a connect in PHX (no matter how long it was) missed their ongoing flight. Some of those people were booked internationally. No big deal to me, I was rerouted and arrived at SEA six hours or so after anticipated. The consequences TO ME (this time) were small, the consequences to some others were significant.

So the question becomes: how serious are the consequences to YOU if you miss the London flight? If the consequences of a negative outcome are small to you, then go for the minimum connection.

If you are flying following the 4th of May, you do have the direct BA 222 British Airways BNA to LHR starting up. Departure is 8:20 PM arriving at 10:25. I have seen Premium Economy as low as $625 each way and $980 OW for Business Class.

In the end it comes down to your stress level.

Me, I wouldn't do a flight with a one hour connection even in the same terminal.

I worry about a late departure and arrival and even if my luggage makes it on the plane.

I am sure many people do this without a worry. Me, I don't want stress so I wouldn't do it.

Keith

I, too, prefer a longer (I like a minimum of 2 hours) when connecting from a domestic flight to an international one. An hour and 5 min connect is certainly doable, but IMHO the risk increases when connecting to international. You have to consider that even a minor delay on the domestic leg (be it weather, mechanical, awaiting a gate at ORD, whatever) could EASILY cause a misconnect here. Frequently there are more options for a missed domestic leg than a missed international one so my comfort level would be playing it a little safer.

AA only operate one flight a day JFK-LHR in the morning; if you miss it, you will be waiting around all day for one of the night flights which usually start about 6.30pm. That's a long, tiring wait in JFK before a long, tiring overnight flight - that'll be tough on your jet lag, you'll be so tired when you arrive in the early morning in London that the day will be difficult.

Even if you sleep well on planes (does anyone?), you'll still probably get only three to four hours sleep and you'll land in LHR at about 1am, Nashville body time.

I give you this information so that you can make your own decision according to, as stated above - "The greater the consequences of a missed connect the longer time I plan for the connection. It's a risk/reward analysis."

If you are flying following the 4th of May, you do have the direct BA 222 British Airways BNA to LHR starting up. Departure is 8:20 PM arriving at 10:25. I have seen Premium Economy as low as $625 each way and $980 OW for Business Class.

That is 10:25 the following morning. If we could hop on and sleep that would be perfect. Unfortunately, we don't sleep well on overnight flights.

We can also use AA miless for those flights, but the taxes/fees are extremely high. About $500 per person.

We also prefer to leave in late April.

When is this trip? I'm looking at AA's schedules and don't see another early morning flight from BNA to ORD besides the 5 AM departure.

Most of the published minimum connection times (MCT) for AA at ORD (domestic to international) are 1:15 or 1:30; a couple are 1:00, so you must be on one of those combinations (it varies depending on specific flight time or precise terminals at ORD.)

If it was me I'd take the earlier flight and have time to breathe a little at O'Hare. And because you'd be up with the chickens (or indeed the owls) to make a 5 AM flight from BNA, that means you'd be even more tired when you get to London that night, so sleep will come easier despite the time change. (Note that a 10:45 arrival time means you won't be in a Heathrow-area hotel until midnight or a bit later.)

The day flights over the Atlantic are by far my preferred option. You sleep in a real bed, and for me I find it really reduces jetlag; you start the next day like a human instead of the walking dead. I'd book a hotel near Heathrow (which can also save money) then continue with your vacation the next morning, rather than trying to get into central London that night, when things are starting to shut down.

When is this trip? I'm looking at AA's schedules and don't see another early morning flight from BNA to ORD besides the 5 AM departure.

Most of the published minimum connection times (MCT) for AA at ORD (domestic to international) are 1:15 or 1:30; a couple are 1:00, so you must be on one of those combinations (it varies depending on specific flight time or precise terminals at ORD.)

If it was me I'd take the earlier flight and have time to breathe a little at O'Hare. And because you'd be up with the chickens (or indeed the owls) to make a 5 AM flight from BNA, that means you'd be even more tired when you get to London that night, so sleep will come easier despite the time change. (Note that a 10:45 arrival time means you won't be in a Heathrow-area hotel until midnight or a bit later.)

The day flights over the Atlantic are by far my preferred option. You sleep in a real bed, and for me I find it really reduces jetlag; you start the next day like a human instead of the walking dead. I'd book a hotel near Heathrow (which can also save money) then continue with your vacation the next morning, rather than trying to get into central London that night, when things are starting to shut down.

flight is 4-27. AA3231 Your thoughts about a day time crossing reducing jet lag is what I hope for. I had not considered staying near lhr that night, but that is a good idea.

flight is 4-27. AA3231 Your thoughts about a day time crossing reducing jet lag is what I hope for. I had not considered staying near lhr that night, but that is a good idea.
Okay, now I see it. Most likely you'll be fine, but if it was me I'd probably opt for the earlier flight. The problem being, if you misconnected AA would put you on the next flight, but that wouldn't be until 5 PM, meaning you'd have a 9 hour layover at O'Hare, which IMO would suck.

Okay, now I see it. Most likely you'll be fine, but if it was me I'd probably opt for the earlier flight. The problem being, if you misconnected AA would put you on the next flight, but that wouldn't be until 5 PM, meaning you'd have a 9 hour layover at O'Hare, which IMO would suck.

Yep, stuck in an airport all day is worse than flying, and we no longer like to fly, especially long flights. There is nothing better about the experience except safety, but I guess that trumps everything else!

Considering the Hilton that is connected to terminal 4 at lhr? Fri night is cheap.

One other thought to continue: Since this is a connection on an international itinerary, you have 24 hours for a legal connect at ORD. Personally, I'd be looking into a flight from BNA the afternoon on the day before the leg to LHR. All you have to do is arrive the day before at a time that's AFTER the same departure time the next day to LHR - in other words, a scheduled arrival at ORD any time after 9am.

Advantages: You have a lot more security for making the onward flight to LHR. You are getting up on the 27th for a 9am flight rather than a 6am flight and can get a good night's rest. You're getting on a flight in BNA at a reasonable hour. Ability to spend time in Chicago, being a tourist if you'd like.

Disadvantages: Extra total travel time. Lodging expense for the night of the 26th. One additional security screening at ORD. Possibility that AA will make you retrieve your bag at ORD and recheck the next day.

Choices, choices, choices.

Considering the Hilton that is connected to terminal 4 at lhr? Fri night is cheap.

Yeah, but AA arrives at T3, which is quite a schlep (Heathrow Connect train from T3 to T4 plus a long walk to the Hilton from there.)

I usually use Priceline for LHR, and have never paid more than $100 for a 4-star place like the Marriott or the Sheraton Skyline. Unfortunately any of the Bath Road hotels require anyone with baggage to use the gawdawful Hoppa Bus to get there (no free hotel shuttles at LHR) but it's your call. (You can also use the free red buses but not sure of the frequency late and also they're a pain with luggage.)

I'm going to go against the grain here, and suggests you not bother with a LHR hotel the first night. For me, doing that gives away 2 of your biggest advantages of the morning flight: being able to check in right away, and getting a full day of sightseeing the next day. If you stay at LHR and then change hotels the next day, you'll waste a lot of time transferring and checking out/in of hotels. If you arrive in time to take the Heathrow Express (a definite possibility) the difference in travel time between the Hilton T4 and the Hilton Paddington would only be about 10 minutes.

BTW, all for flying to ORD the night before - much less stressful.

AA only operate one flight a day JFK-LHR in the morning; if you miss it, you will be waiting around all day for one of the night flights which usually start about 6.30pm. That's a long, tiring wait in JFK before a long, tiring overnight flight - that'll be tough on your jet lag, you'll be so tired when you arrive in the early morning in London that the day will be difficult.

Even if you sleep well on planes (does anyone?), you'll still probably get only three to four hours sleep and you'll land in LHR at about 1am, Nashville body time.

I give you this information so that you can make your own decision according to, as stated above - "The greater the consequences of a missed connect the longer time I plan for the connection. It's a risk/reward analysis."

what does this have to do with the OP????? They are connecting in Chicago NOT New York.

I flew 151,000 miles on AA in 2017. I would not be concerned about a 1 hour connection in ORD. If there is a delay out of BNA, they will either wait for you in Chicago or reroute you through JFK, PHL or CLT.

We flew AA to Australia from ATL for a cruise in December. Went through PHX and LAX with a 50 minute connection in Phoenix and 1 hr 10min in LAX. There were a few late connections and they waited for an hour at LAX so everyone made the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I flew 151,000 miles on AA in 2017. I would not be concerned about a 1 hour connection in ORD. If there is a delay out of BNA, they will either wait for you in Chicago or reroute you through JFK, PHL or CLT.

Always nice to start the new year with a chuckle.

We flew AA to Australia from ATL for a cruise in December. Went through PHX and LAX with a 50 minute connection in Phoenix and 1 hr 10min in LAX. There were a few late connections and they waited for an hour at LAX so everyone made the flight.

Perhaps when there is only one flight a day and a large number of potential misconnects. But when there are later evening flights, I would wager against any "hold".

I booked the 5 a.m. flight from BNA to ORD. That provides a 2 hr 15 min layover which should be sufficient. No overnight stay in Chicago as that turns the trip into a 2 day ordeal. Getting up early also helps us get on London time and means we will be tired when we get there.

Return is LHR to CLT to BNA. 11 a.m. flight on the 5th, Saturday.

Have not decided on hotel yet, but looking near the British Museum or Covent Garden area.

Now for some fish and chips. I don't get the mashed peas though.:confused:

Thanks for the replies. Helpful ideas.

If there is a delay out of BNA, they will either wait for you in Chicago or reroute you through JFK, PHL or CLT.

Don't count on the aircraft waiting! While it occasionally happens, it's more the exception than the rule. Many of the pax on that plane to Chicago will be making connections and waiting an hour could easily make THEM miss their flight. The airline simply won't do that, as a general rule.