Carry On Luggage

Keith1010

I have posted this question on two other boards and this will be the final board where I will post this to get input from others.

I am considering new carry on luggage for myself and my wife.

I do know I need to look at some of this in a store and not on line to be sure.

I would appreciate input.

We want to go with a 22" Spinner.

The 22" inches needs to be a true 22" which includes the handle and the wheels so that we comply with most airline carry on requirements. I realize that total dimensions matter as well so I will check out all of that when making final decision.

Downside of the spinner over a two wheel is that the interior space is smaller so am looking for one that would maximize the interior space meaning that maybe the handle is not as high when the handle is all the way in and the wheels do not stick out too far.

Want it to be soft on the top so that we can inset a computer etc. to an outside pocket.

Would like it to not be too heavy when empty.

We want something that will last and are willing to pay more for something with good quality.

I am finding that trying to find one is more of a challenge then picking out electronics or even a cruise.

So I appreciate advice including links to the one(s) you recommend.

Thank you.

Happy New Year.

Keith

Hi Keith -- you might have a look at the Victorinox Werks 5.0 22" spinner. These are really sturdy and well-designed bags that give you a fairly large interior space which can be configured in several ways -- they give you a divider and suit packer but you can remove them if you wish and just utilize the roomy interior space.

I prefer a two-wheel (inline wheels) bag to a spinner, so I have that version. It has more interior room and handles better under rougher road conditions than spinners. However, the spinners on this bag look pretty sturdy.

The version I have fits the dimension requirements within less than a centimeter in height. I can't vouch for the spinner bag but some website or store will be able to provide the full measurements I'm sure.

It's not cheap but also not crazy expensive. I did a very thorough research about two years ago when I bought it and thought it was the best bag for the money. I've been very happy with it.

I am a big fan of Travelpro, which is what most airline crews use. We have two 22 inch roll aboards, as well as a few other pieces. Neither are spinners but I have a Travelpro 25" spinner that I have been very pleased with. Wheels work great whether you use it as a spinner or tilted. Travelpro has a pretty good website that gives good descriptions of their products. They have three collections that vary in terms of weight, style, function and price. That said, I have pieces from all 3 collections and I have not seen any difference in how they perform or wear. One of the roll aboards is from the Platinum collection. It is the lighter of the two and seems to have more packing space inside. The other is from the Crew collection. I like the expansion capability on the Crew bag better. It is perfect when we don't need the 25" but just can't quite do it with the 2 roll aboards alone. I also like the outside pockets on the Crew bag better. I've never gone over the 50 pound limit in either bag and that includes times when I was returning from a conference and stuffed documents and books in it and times when I expanded the case. I should note that my Crew bag is about 12-15 years old so the weight is probably less in a new one.

Travelpro is a bit pricey, but less than Tumi or some of the others. They tend to run closeout sales on their website. Also check ebags for their pricing as well as Amazon and ebay. With a little research, you can normally get a pretty good deal, particularly if color isn't an issue. (I prefer sticking with basic black, but that's just me.) You also might try Costco. I happened to be in there this week and they had a Travelpro roll aboard for $100. Don't remember the size. If your local Costco doesn't have it, check online.

Travelpro wears incredibly well, but if you have a problem, they do have a good warranty program. In nearly 30 years of using Travelpro luggage, I've only had to have two repairs. One was the wheels on a 10 year old rollaboard - that then lasted for another 4 years. The other was a repair to the telescoping handle on my rolling briefcase. It's now about 12 years old and still going strong. I have never had to replace a zipper - just a couple of pull tabs. The quality has stayed consistent through the years. The last new piece I bought was last year and I was very pleased with it.

I should note that we are hard on luggage. Between DH and me, our rollaboards are in steady (at least monthly - sometimes weekly) use for business or pleasure. They have been stuffed into airline bins, abused by luggage handlers, lugged onto trains and cruise ships, endured muddy puddles, ice and snow, been left on the tarmac during storms, fallen down an escalator (with me in tow), and been dragged up and down stairs and over cobblestones. I don't have any covers on my luggage, and we frequently check the roll aboards on the way home. The two current ones are about 8 and 12 years old. The 15 year old piece replaced one that was about the same age, but everything is still in good working condition and you would never guess how old it is.

Overall, good wear and performance at a reasonable price. Hope this helps.

I’ve been using Travelpro for years. I fly a lot on business. I have a Maxlite 4 series 22 inch spinner and a 25 inch spinner. They are both the advertised heights wheels to handles. Both are super light weight and durable and have been around the world many, many times.

https://www.travelpro.com/maxlite-4-international-expandable-carry-on-spinner-4011560

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

cruisemom42 and fryree39 thank you for the recommendation and for the details. This is precisely the input I was hoping for and have now looked at the luggage on line.

piolt123texas thank you as well. Ironically we do have a lot of Travelpro and like the 28" suiters with two wheels. We did purchase three of the 29" spinners but I have to say after that experience we won't go with spinners for pieces that get checked because two of the three have damaged wheels. We do like their ease of pushing them but with wheels cracked, etc we will go back to the two wheeled one for bags we checked.

pwake, thank you for your information about the travelrpo spinner and I will take a look at your recommendation.

Thank you sprint180.

SadieN thank you for your suggestion about IT bags.

Thank you all again and please keep the suggestions coming.

It's a big help to me.

Keith

Glad to see this thread.......I am getting ready to book my first land trip in many years and this IT Luggage looks great:D

Of course it will work for a cruise too;)....but going to Ireland with 3/4 different stops, I think this lightweight luggage

will be perfect.

THANK YOU:D

I just ordered a PURPLE 22 inch carry on:)....gets awesome reviews!!!!!!!

Edited by Lois R

We purchased the LLBean Carryall Rolling Pullman in Blue in Medium and Large. The Medium comes as a spinner or a 2 wheeler. The medium spinner is listed as 21 3/4 tall but I don't know if this includes the wheels. There is a small under seat version one which is much smaller (I have something similar in red and frankly it doesn't hold much).

The top of the medium and large is soft (unconstructed?), has zipper pockets, and has outside side pockets for small things such as electronic charging cables too. I think both are on sale at the moment and I find them to be much lighter weight than what we had.

We have two sets of carry-on luggage -- in different sizes for international and domestic flights. We do not find it necessary to purchase expensive bags as requirements change over time. Our latest bags are https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TNOAXW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My advice is to go to somewhere like Marshalls, take a measuring stick, and look at bags to see what fits your needs. They sell many brands including IT.

We have two sets of carry-on luggage -- in different sizes for international and domestic flights. We do not find it necessary to purchase expensive bags as requirements change over time. Our latest bags are https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TNOAXW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My advice is to go to somewhere like Marshalls, take a measuring stick, and look at bags to see what fits your needs. They sell many brands including IT.

Our local Marshall’s, TJMaxx and Ross have stopped carrying IT Bags.

Keith,

Like you, we have several Travel Pro bags, and I heartily recommend them. We purchase the light-weight, two-wheel carry on which, I think, are 21" so that they will pass European standards. They are so sturdy, light, and do not topple over when full.

• 4 weeks later...

I have decided that it is easier to book a cruise or a flight then decide on the carry on luggage.

I've looked at some products in the stores and other ones on line.

In fact, just ordered two different brands on line (two wheels not four wheels) and hopefully one will work out.

What I thought was disappointing is that the companies call many of their products carry on when by their own measurement factoring in handles and the like they won't match many of the airline requirements and that even includes USA airlines.

I will report back if one of these works out.

I appreciate all the advice.

Keith

I hope you'll check in again and let us know what you eventually decide on.

I agree it is difficult to make a choice -- always seems like every bag is missing at least one thing you'd ideally like it to have.

Yes, for sure once we decide on which one I will post.

You are so right. I found things in one item I liked and other in other items and wish I could put together all those features to create one piece. :)

Keith

Hi, I ordered that 22 inch IT carry on and it came a few weeks ago.........I love the color and it is VERY lightweight:D

DDs were just in London and found IT Bags at Primark.

• 4 months later...

Thanks everyone for your advice.

In the end I decided on two pieces of luggage.

For the carry-on I went with the Briggs & Riley Pilot Carry On. It has a lot of areas to keep items so I like that.

416ZzGJImtL._SY90_.jpg

For a personal item I went with a Briggs & Riley Backpack. Once again a lot of separate areas. That is what I needed as well.

51TPkrNS%252BZL.jpg

We used them on our recent cruise. It included a pre cruise stay at Disneyland (yes Disneyland). I knew from experience that I would not be able to check into the hotel when we arrived. I was able to get into the backpack my computer, small camera, my wife's jewelry and a seance set of meds for her just in case something happened to the first set of meds, important file folders, money including foreign currency, and several other items.

What I learned is I couldn't find a carry on that met all of my goals. For example inside the large area of the carry on it didn't have individual zippers where I could place some of my electronic cords so I took a suggestion and purchased some small cases to insert into the carry on.

I also confirmed that the measurements provided by manufacturers are not always right. I know this is not a surprise but there were a couple of companies that surprised me that were way off the mark.

Thanks again for those who provided input to me.

I am very happy with each of these items and look forward to using them on our future trips.

Keith

Thanks everyone for your advice.

In the end I decided on two pieces of luggage.

For the carry-on I went with the Briggs & Riley Pilot Carry On. It has a lot of areas to keep items so I like that.

416ZzGJImtL._SY90_.jpg

For a personal item I went with a Briggs & Riley Backpack. Once again a lot of separate areas. That is what I needed as well.

51TPkrNS%252BZL.jpg

We used them on our recent cruise. It included a pre cruise stay at Disneyland (yes Disneyland). I knew from experience that I would not be able to check into the hotel when we arrived. I was able to get into the backpack my computer, small camera, my wife's jewelry and a seance set of meds for her just in case something happened to the first set of meds, important file folders, money including foreign currency, and several other items.

What I learned is I couldn't find a carry on that met all of my goals. For example inside the large area of the carry on it didn't have individual zippers where I could place some of my electronic cords so I took a suggestion and purchased some small cases to insert into the carry on.

I also confirmed that the measurements provided by manufacturers are not always right. I know this is not a surprise but there were a couple of companies that surprised me that were way off the mark.

Thanks again for those who provided input to me.

I am very happy with each of these items and look forward to using them on our future trips.

Keith

Thanks for the update Keith. Do the two pieces you selected piggyback together to make them easier to manage? Or do you not plan to use both together?

Thanks for the update Keith. Do the two pieces you selected piggyback together to make them easier to manage? Or do you not plan to use both together?

cruisermom, you are very welcome.

I brought them both with us. They did fit together so it made it easy to pull them at the airport and hotels.

On the plane I put the carry on in the overhead compartment and the backpack fit nicely under my seat.

For the pre cruise in Disneyland I had some items that I would normally have in the carry on in the backpack as I knew that the room would not be ready and took the carry on into Disneyland as I didn't want to leave behind items such as meds and electronics and some folders at the hotel since the room was not ready.

It worked perfectly.

Keith