Whale Watching in Cabo San Lucas

gem53or

Wlll be in Cabo San Lucas the beginning of February on a Princess cruise and would like to book a whale watching excursion through Princess. The zodiac trip is full but there is still room on the large catamaran or the pontoon. Any recommendations on which would be the better experience?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! The "better" experience imho would be to NOT book through the cruise line at all. Use a private operator. We were in Cabo this past February and had a FABULOUS morning whale watching with Whale Watch Cabo, in a small panga boat (10 adults max); comfortable and room to maneuver. Beats a zodiac because it has a canopy, very welcome in the sun. WWC is a first class operation; I highly recommend them.

http://whalewatchcabo.com/

Among other whales, we encountered a mama humpback running with her three-week old calf, and teaching baby how to breach. It was awesome to watch.

Baby could only get out of the water so far:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then mama showed baby how it's done:

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to Cruise Critic! The "better" experience imho would be to NOT book through the cruise line at all. Use a private operator. We were in Cabo this past February and had a FABULOUS morning whale watching with Whale Watch Cabo, in a small panga boat (10 adults max); comfortable and room to maneuver. Beats a zodiac because it has a canopy, very welcome in the sun. WWC is a first class operation; I highly recommend them.

Among other whales, we encountered a mama humpback running with her three-week old calf, and teaching baby how to breach. It was awesome to watch.

Thank you so much for the great pics!!

I agree with Turtles06. We were whale watching that same week and saw soooo many whales.

The small/10 person panga is the way to go. Go with that company they recommended or take one directly from a vendor 5 feet from port gate. All the boats will follow the whales to where ever they are that day, but the smaller boats can maneuver around the others more easily.

Thank you so much for the great pics!!

We used the same company in March 2016 and had a fabulous experience. I organized what turned out to be 2 boats from our Roll Call. The company was easy to deal with and after the trip sent us digital copies of the photos taken by their crew . I also highly recommend this company and would use them again.

Of note, sometimes you got only a glimpse of a whale, other times they were visible for a longer time. That day we saw several larger whale watching boats (50 - 100 or more passengers), but they could not keep up with the smaller boats, who were able to track the whales around the bay. It was a great experience. Enjoy!

We will be there the last week of January next year. Is that a good time to see whales. We saw whales while in Alaska this past May and haven't even thought of seeing whales in Cabo.

See my post number 2 above. You will be there during prime whale watching season. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...