Oceana - Marina, anyone have any views?

jgw321

It's technically not possible because there is no cruise ship called "HAL".

Holland America ships vary in class dramatically from 3.5* to near 5*, while Oceania Riviera (the best ship) is overall 4*. So I would say that Oceania (based on Riviera) is somewhere in between HAL ships.

In your universe - not in mine. You’d have to pay me to sail on current HAL.

Prices

Caribbean, March 2018

Riviera 10 days from $4,800 per couple

Nieuw Amcterdam 14 days (much better itinerary, better ship) from $3,650 (included: unlimited spa pass for 14 days, 4 dinners in specialty restaurants) per couple

Differece in price: Riviera will cost 80% more (prorated for 10 days).

It just proves the old adage - you get what you pay for :)

Now adays you can pay more and get less.

I’d like to pay less and get more. Any suggestions - and please don’t say HAL or NCL, Princess, Carnival or RCI - because with all those cruise lines I’d paying less but also getting less (of what i want on a cruise). :D

imagepng

I’d like to pay less and get more. Any suggestions - and please don’t say HAL or NCL, Princess, Carnival or RCI - because with all those cruise lines I’d paying less but also getting less (of what i want on a cruise). :D

imagepng

We seem to have drifted off Oceania now, so does anyone have any views on Saga? I haven't cruised with them yet (trying the Saga Perl later this year). They are more pricey so are they in the same class as Oceania? They are UK based and do quite a few UK-UK cruises which would suit us (non-flyers). They also offer chauffeur to port or parking which brings Southampton into play. Entertainment and Spas not important to us but the rest, including guest speakers, is.

There are lines like Azamara, Viking and Silversea that we would like to try but they do not do round trip cruises shorter than about 60 days, sometimes longer, so with a higher price become unaffordable.

Edited by jgw321
spelling

We seem to have drifted off Oceania now, so does anyone have any views on Saga? I haven't cruised with them yet (trying the Saga Perl later this year). They are more pricey so are they in the same class as Oceania? They are UK based and do quite a few UK-UK cruises which would suit us (non-flyers). They also offer chauffeur to port or parking which brings Southampton into play. Entertainment and Spas not important to us but the rest, including guest speakers, is.

There are lines like Azamara, Viking and Silversea that we would like to try but they do not do round trip cruises shorter than about 60 days, sometimes longer, so with a higher price become unaffordable.

Short answer is no they are nothing like,a bit like comparing Aldi & Waitrose. I think you will find the prices are similar but they are buying different things, on Saga you are paying more for the chauffeur car, the "included" insurance etc. As the age profile on Saga is high the insurance element must be quite high.

You are not getting the same quality of decor on the ship, food, bedding, amenities. What you will get is an almost 100% British passenger list, British food and entertainment and a very loyal following.