STONE ISLAND - ?'s

CruiseCrAzieS

Does lety’s charge for chair rental?

Is it right on the beach?

They don't charge for chairs or lounges, but they do expect you to buy drinks or food. The tables and chairs are in the sand on the beach about 100 feet from the water

The food is very good and the beer is cold.

Google letys mazatlan for lots of pictures and info.

Is Victor's closed/gone now? Last time we were there, he spent some time visiting with us. He sounded beaten down, and still working on recovering from Randi's death :(

As to vendors, we don't find the vendors on Stone Island pushy, at all.

The last few times I have been there, Victors was not open.

I was told by a local that he has been drinking heavily. Don't know if that is true, but could explain his absence.

The last few times I have been there, Victors was not open.

I was told by a local that he has been drinking heavily. Don't know if that is true, but could explain his absence.

Thank you. How very sad. As I said up there ^ he seemed worn down. Randi's death, the cruise ships not stopping in Mazatlan.... had to be hard on him.

Just back from Stone Island and we went to Lettys ,,,,had two loungers and a table ...we each had a beer and a Pina Colada ...then we shared a plate of Nachos ....it came to 16 u.s. ....we gave him a twenty and then tipped our waiter extra ....Thanks Ramone !!!!!

I see the complaints about vendors, and want to remind all of you that in legal terms, there are NO PRIVATE BEACHES IN MEXICO.

The Mexican constitution guarantees everyone access to beaches, so the vendors have the right to be there.

The "roped off areas" may be illegal, or are far enough from the water to be on private property.

It's been a few years - but I loved going to Stone Island - riding horses on the beach with Randi, then a good meal at Victors. The second time I rode with Randi, I brought her a stack of horse magazines for her. She was a character. I did hear she passed away. Now it's Maria's Happy Horses instead of Randi's Happy Horses. Great fun . . . we weren't bothered too much by the vendors.

Some kayak rentals available, but haven't seen jet skis. Been there twice and have had no problem with vendors; as someone else said, just say "no, gracias" and move on. No fancy "resorts", but good food at beachfront open-air restaurants. No real snorkeling--sandy bottom--but no big waves either, so good for playing in the water.

How far of a walk is it to Lettys? One person in our group has difficulty walking long-distance but a few blocks are OK..

Also, I am not sure that I am understanding....When we get off the water taxi there will be a tractor/wagon that will take us to the beach? So I am assuming that when we get to the beach we then walked to Lettys, is that correct?

How far of a walk is it to Lettys? One person in our group has difficulty walking long-distance but a few blocks are OK..

Also, I am not sure that I am understanding....When we get off the water taxi there will be a tractor/wagon that will take us to the beach? So I am assuming that when we get to the beach we then walked to Lettys, is that correct?

If I remember correctly, it’s not a short stroll from the port to Stone Island. Nor to a beach restaurant with tables, ect. I’d be nervous with someone who has difficulty walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the cruise ship terminal, its a little less than half a mile to the water taxi that will take you across the quay to Stone Island. (just turn left out of the terminal and keep walking straight).

When you depart the taxi, you walk the dock and then up (not much) the side of the quay. From there, the walk to Lety's looks less than half a mile.

Here is Lety's on google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lety.s/@23.1865195,-106.4097562,803m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x869f53c55a221b35:0x905571ffa0d8eae!8m2!3d23.1872296!4d-106.405647

On the way to Lety's there appears to be a few other places. Some are dead, others look like they open based on the pics.

• 1 month later...

Went to Stone Island on 2/22/2018. Everyone so far is right, it's a bit of a walk unless you go on a tour. We prefer to walk from the port, pay the $2 US pp round trip fee for the boat, then walk down the beach 1/2 mile. Had been to Lety's in 2009 and picked it again because they had the nicest lounge chairs and we were the first ones at any of the restaurants and could pick out where we wanted to sit. As the crowds arrived everyone bee-lined for Lety's, although a few settled for Victor's and Pili's on the either side, plus the one (name forgotten) on the other side of Pili's. IMHO Lety's gets the crowd because of the internet buzz, but the service became a bit slow once the place filled up. We chatted with people who went to the other adjacent restaurants and their experience was the same as Lety's, albeit without the crowd. My advice is spread out and give the other restaurants a chance too!

Than being said, the mixed drinks at Lety's were good (Margaritas and Pina Coladas), the food is great (coconut shrimp, mmmmm), the bathrooms clean and included a Costco sized hand sanitizer container (they get Americans), and the vendors were ubiquitous but not pushy.

Stone Island will always be included on any trip I make to Mazatlan.

Try CARMELITAS as a smaller quieter option to Letys. It is small but has patio tables and tables with umbrellas on the sand. Our waiter was Ruben and he is amazing. Yes..the vendors keep coming back but eventually leave you alone...it’s just as it is!

Went to Stone Island on 2/22/2018. Everyone so far is right, it's a bit of a walk unless you go on a tour. We prefer to walk from the port, pay the $2 US pp round trip fee for the boat, then walk down the beach 1/2 mile. Had been to Lety's in 2009 and picked it again because they had the nicest lounge chairs and we were the first ones at any of the restaurants and could pick out where we wanted to sit. As the crowds arrived everyone bee-lined for Lety's, although a few settled for Victor's and Pili's on the either side, plus the one (name forgotten) on the other side of Pili's. IMHO Lety's gets the crowd because of the internet buzz, but the service became a bit slow once the place filled up. We chatted with people who went to the other adjacent restaurants and their experience was the same as Lety's, albeit without the crowd. My advice is spread out and give the other restaurants a chance too!

Than being said, the mixed drinks at Lety's were good (Margaritas and Pina Coladas), the food is great (coconut shrimp, mmmmm), the bathrooms clean and included a Costco sized hand sanitizer container (they get Americans), and the vendors were ubiquitous but not pushy.

Stone Island will always be included on any trip I make to Mazatlan.

Do you know if horseback riding was available near Lety’s?

We just got back from 2 weeks in Maz. We spent one day at Stone Island and had an amazing meal at Victor's. Mango marg's were great and we had a platter with 4 kinds of shrimp, a whole bbq fish, ribs, rice, fruit, fed 5 adults.

We were offered a taxi ride down there when we got off the water ferry, but chose to walk the 10 min. Will be going back for sure. There are a lot of vendors, we just said no gracious and they would move on. Keep an eye on the weather, it was really windy the day we went. Lots of great things to do in Mazatlan, have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Just back from Stone Island and we went to Lettys ,,,,had two loungers and a table ...we each had a beer and a Pina Colada ...then we shared a plate of Nachos ....it came to 16 u.s. ....we gave him a twenty and then tipped our waiter extra ....Thanks Ramone !!!!!

Jldevlin, I think that may have been your video that I posted the youtube link for?