Cape Town Hotel suggestions

Tokyo Mom

My husband and I are looking forward to our Cape Town - Cape Town cruise on Oceania in January of 2019. I am starting to do some research into finding a hotel in Cape Town for 3 to 4 nights prior to our cruise. Any suggestions/helpful information would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing I will be looking for a hotel located in the V&A Waterfront area. Thank you - Michelle

You can’t go wrong with any of the three ‘main’ hotels within the V&A waterfront - Cape Grace, Victoria and Alfred, Table Bay. There are cheaper alternatives within the waterfront and on the periphery.

My personal choice would be to stay within the waterfront so that I could walk out to the variety of restaurants in relative safety.

If you are renting a car you have a much wider choice along to coast through to Camps Bay and the lovely Twelve Apostles Hotel.

I was in Cape Town last month - we stayed at the Twelve Apostles which is about 20 minutes from the waterfront, but they do have a complementary shuttle. The setting is spectacular and personally after seeing the hotels in the V&A area, I was so happy we stayed were we did.

In my opinion, there isn't much difference between staying within or without the Waterfront area. You can walk around in both areas during the day safely but at night, I would only walk out within the Waterfront.

On our four visits to Cape Town we've always rented a car and would use it to drive a relatively short distance to get to a restaurant for dinner.

Thanks so much for the suggestions/advice so far.

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups. Very helpful and valid options for those "top three" hotel options in and around the V&A Waterfront. BUT, there are some added factors to consider, including for cost. Plus, the V&A, as much fun and interesting it can be, it does get, in my view, a little touristy and crowded. We were nearby, but want to get more of a "feel" for being Cape Town and one of its "neighborhoods" with many dining and shopping options nearby.

For a Cape Town hotel, we stayed at the Cape Royale Hotel. This location was a handy, easy walk from the V&A Waterfront. It overlooked where the oval stadium sits that hosted the 2010 World Cup soccer games. This hotel is an apartment/suite-style facility with many dining and shopping options nearby. It was built and open in 2010 in connection with the World Cup being in South Africa. It is at 47 Main Rd, Green Point, Cape Town, 8005, South Africa. Their website is: www.caperoyale.co.za. As the picture below shows, it has a "French-style", cosmopolitan style/design. We loved the location as we did not want to be too much in the middle of the V&A waterfront. That shopping/entertainment area is nice to visit, but we wanted more of a "feel" for being in Cape Town, experiencing more of the city, living in the community, etc. And, being safe and handy as added factors. The staff and facilities worked very well at the Cape Royale. They have a nice pool/deck area on the top of the hotel that offered nice views, food/drink potentials, etc.

You can see below on my live/blog, many added pictures and details for what we did in our five days in and around spectacular Cape Town. Loved this area!! Much to see and do.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,171 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is one exterior view of the Cape Royale Hotel that was near the V&A Waterfront and overlooked where the oval stadium that hosted the 2010 World Cup soccer games.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July2016Pis1%201_zpsvi6wv6cq.jpg

Here was the view from our room at the Cape Royale Hotel with its French balcony and the view towards the 2010 World Cup stadium. Very close, right?:

July2016Pis1_zpsgkicf6dv.jpg

Here is one quick views from in and around the V&A Waterfront with Table Mountain being the "central star" for overlooking these scenic and active areas. And, do you see the clouds dramatically rolling over Table Mountain?:

Africa2016PixsA14_zpsqqwb9pgs.jpg

Here is just one of many spectacular views from riding the Cable Car up to the top of Table Mountain. You can see Lion's Head mountain that peaks at 2,195 feet above sea level. This peak forms part of a dramatic backdrop to the city of Cape Town and is part of the Table Mountain National Park. Amazing views all around. Friday was rated as a top 10% viewing day with the clearness and ability to enjoy such sights. The Table Mountain Cableway was Swiss designed and officially opened in 1929. It has been extensively upgraded and new cars now carry 65 instead of 25 passengers. The new cars give a faster journey and rotate through 360 degrees during the ascent and descent. The highest point on Table Mountain is 3,563 feet above sea level.:

Africa2016PixsA7_zpsorjegsat.jpg

Here is a final picture where I needed a little "help" to be "soaring like an eagle"! My secret? It's riding in a helicopter to travel around Cape Town, the nearby mountains, being south of the town, going along the beaches, over the Winelands, etc. Like the views? Table Mountain is clearly so dominate in the way it towers over Cape Town and the nearby areas. Recognize the Cape Town Stadium? Our pilot said it has a nickname down here and they call it the "Giant Toilet Bowl"!! Does kind of have that look!!:

Africa2016PixsA13_zpsn571mfn9.jpg

Thanks Terry!

Happy to have been of some help. For you in Texas, or any others, happy to share more on Cape Town and nearby. Really loved our experiences in these great areas, plus in sailing along the South Africa coast. Best to post on my live/blog for Africa site and I will try to respond promptly.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 190,787 views for this posting.

• 1 month later...
Happy to have been of some help. For you in Texas, or any others, happy to share more on Cape Town and nearby. Really loved our experiences in these great areas, plus in sailing along the South Africa coast. Best to post on my live/blog for Africa site and I will try to respond promptly.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 190,787 views for this posting.

Thanks for your input Terry. We like to sightsee independently on the HoHo buses. I know it stops at the waterfront somewhere. Did you notice if there was a stop nearby the Cape Royal?

Thanks for all the suggestions - we decided to book the Cape Town Hollow Boutique Hotel. It has gotten very good reviews on Trip Advisor and is about half the cost of many of the other hotels I looked at. We'd rather spend the money saved on the hotel - sightseeing around Cape Town. Now the hard part - waiting 11 months!

• 4 months later...
My husband and I are looking forward to our Cape Town - Cape Town cruise on Oceania in January of 2019. I am starting to do some research into finding a hotel in Cape Town for 3 to 4 nights prior to our cruise. Any suggestions/helpful information would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing I will be looking for a hotel located in the V&A Waterfront area. Thank you - Michelle

We are also going on an Oceania cruise out of Capetown in January 2019. Starting to look for hotels. Previously we stayed at the V&A hotel at the waterfron.

Hi Sailco - Not Terry but I believe the closest HoHo stop is at the V & A Waterfront (#1). We did their routes so many times last month that I could almost do the narration from memory. Really good tours! Check out their website for a better version of the map. CapeTown_Map_750_531_85.jpg

Only just saw this. Thanks so much. We've booked the 5 day pass (iventure card) that includes lots of extras like day trips to Cape Pt and the vineyards.

We've also booked an apartment in the Cape Royale building just over the road from the waterfront. Dealing with the owner directly has made it so easy!