Maui shuttle

Baz-t

Can anyone comment on whether Oceania operate a shuttle from Kahului harbour to Lahaina

It seems the port area is quite industrial and not a place to hang around

No, it's about 40 or 50 miles apart.

A rental car is not that expensive, but I don't know if you're familiar with driving on the correct side of the road. Oh, and the steering wheel is on the left, not the right.

I know Maui quite well (I’m there now). My advice is this:

You are correct that there is not much of touristic value in Kahului and near the port. Lahaina is a better destination, but only worth a couple of hours and maybe lunch - it is not large. Many galleries, time share hawkers and tee shirt shops. A few historic buildings and sights and a large park covered by a single Bannon tree. Check that there isn’t another cruise ship anchored off Lahaina. If there is it will be crowded.

The better beaches are just north of Lahaina at Kaanapali, but again probably busy.

The drive from Kahului is ~25 miles, 45 minutes with light traffic. But be aware that the only road back to Kahului can be very congested at times, so allow at least 1 - 1.5 hours to get back to be safe. You can rent a car, but there will be ships tours and local tour operators that will have offerings to Lahaina and other stops. Probably a better bet.

To rent a car you may have to cab it to the airport or a local office. Not all agencies serve the cruise port. The airport is about 10 minutes from the cruise port.

Bottom line, you’re probably better off doing a tour of some kind.

Edited by Sopwith

I know Maui quite well (I’m there now). My advice is this:

You are correct that there is not much of touristic value in Kahului and near the port. Lahaina is a better destination, but only worth a couple of hours and maybe lunch - it is not large. Many galleries, time share hawkers and tee shirt shops. A few historic buildings and sights and a large park covered by a single Bannon tree. Check that there isn’t another cruise ship anchored off Lahaina. If there is it will be crowded.

The better beaches are just north of Lahaina at Kaanapali, but again probably busy.

The drive from Kahului is ~25 miles, 45 minutes with light traffic. But be aware that the only road back to Kahului can be very congested at times, so allow at least 1 - 1.5 hours to get back to be safe. You can rent a car, but there will be ships tours and local tour operators that will have offerings to Lahaina and other stops. Probably a better bet.

To rent a car you may have to cab it to the airport or a local office. Not all agencies serve the cruise port. The airport is about 10 minutes from the cruise port.

Bottom line, you’re probably better off doing a tour of some kind.

When I was there a few years ago the company we rented our car from had a shuttle from the cruise port to the rental agency at the airport. It was very simple. To me the biggest issue is whether the OP being from the UK would be comfortable driving in the US. I know I wouldn't be in the UK, and I'm an excellent driver, just like Raymond.

4 of us paid less than $100 total for a mid size SUV, drove to Lahaina, then to Kaanapali, then later to the area where the Aquarium is. Compare that to tour prices and you'll easily see that it's a much better deal. But each of us has to do what we're comfortable with.

Thanks everyone for very useful feedback. Not sure, as yet, what the outcome will be but can now make some informed decisions.

Thanks for your concern about driving on the ‘other’ side of the road! I would venture the Brits are pretty competent about driving in the USA and Europe, more so than visitors to the UK. After all, we have more opportunity to practice in most places around the world!!

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for very useful feedback. Not sure, as yet, what the outcome will be but can now make some informed decisions.

Thanks for your concern about driving on the ‘other’ side of the road! I would venture the Brits are pretty competent about driving in the USA and Europe, more so than visitors to the UK. After all, we have more opportunity to practice in most places around the world!!

Thanks again.

Here I have to pat myself on the shoulder as I recently returned a rental car without any damage (and they are very particular about this in Europe &UK) after circumnavigating the UK over 1 month time ( on the "wrong" side of the road, no less :D)

Had plenty of scary and hair raising moments on very narrow country roads (foot paths? :D) but somehow we made it through OK.

I am sure you would do fine in Hawaii - LA or NYC, I am not as sure :D

Here I have to pat myself on the shoulder as I recently returned a rental car without any damage (and they are very particular about this in Europe &UK) after circumnavigating the UK over 1 month time ( on the "wrong" side of the road, no less :D)

Had plenty of scary and hair raising moments on very narrow country roads (foot paths? :D) but somehow we made it through OK.

I am sure you would do fine in Hawaii - LA or NYC, I am not as sure :D

You have reason to be proud! I wish we could say the same. "We" smashed into a parked car (to avoid a truck) on our first day in England. Called the rental agency, told them where they could find their car and took the train for the rest of our visit. Gotta love cc insurance. They not only paid for the damages but for the retrieval and rental cost.

Lahaina is a charming small harbor town but very touristy. Fun to walk around especially in the evening, but a few hours and a meal and that's about it. Uberx from Kahului-Lahaina is supposed to be running $40 each way. Don't know what your interests are or how much time you have, but renting a car would let you visit some gorgeous beaches for swimming and snorkeling. There are some beauties north of Ka'anapali, (Kapulua to name just one) and from Wailea to Makena. You could get a private tour or rent a car to Hana- it's 6 hrs round trip and the drive is spectacular. I'd choose visiting the volcano Haleakala over Lahaina too.