Nassau- what was your best "non-excursion"

Smcottrell87

Hi Diane,

Although DH and I won't be in Nassau until January 2019, I printed off your map and document today, for fear I'll forget this thread exists by then.

Thank you so much; your information is incredibly helpful.

You can book a private tour very easily. They wait for you just outside of the port and show you the entire island. You have control over what you want to do and where to go. No excursion nonsense to deal with.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d3746669-Reviews-Cheryl_s_Bahamas_Taxi_and_Private_Tours-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

• 4 weeks later...
I've already booked excursions on 2 out of 3 ports of call on our cruise in March 2018. We stopped by Nassau on our last cruise and were less than thrilled. I'm looking for some ideas of what we can do that isn't an excursion from the cruise line. We're already doing a beach day at CoCoCay so that's out. I really wanted to tour the city and explore but not in an enclosed vehicle. My husband wants to check out paradise island. And anything involving a boat is a plus for me. Any ideas? What experiences have you had?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took the public bus, filled with locals to the end of the line and back. Bus stop was by Senor Frogs, cost was 75 cents. On the way back got off at the Gardens. Back on, then stopped at fish fry for conch salad and rum. Then back to the ship. Great day !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We enjoy visiting and walking up the Queen's Staircase, then we work our way over to Watlings rum distillery. The latter has a lot of history and there is no charge to walk around. After that we head down the street to the port stopping for drink. Good exercise and educational fun..

We were in Nassau last November with our 3 year old daughter. We took along a small stroller for her which worked out great! We visited the pirate's museum first, then went across the street to the church, which is beautiful!

From there we went to Greycliff chocolates. The chocolates are a bit pricey, but delicious. We continued on to John Watling's where we took the tour, bought a few bottles of rum and vodka, and enjoyed a few drinks from the bar. Their pina coladas are awesome and the Goombay smash is stout and tastes great!

We worked our way back down to Bay St. for a little souvenir shopping and a couple more bottles of rum(!) before heading back to the ship. Overall a very enjoyable day!

My wife and I were on a short Carnival cruise with an early docking time in Nassau. I’m not sure how lucky we were, but we were off the ship as early as possible and only a few people were out in the port at Nassau. Not many workers were out, but we got one of the first taxis headed to Atlantis. We walked in not knowing what we were doing and walked straight in and past the lobby headed to hotel rooms. There was a door leading outside so we went out into the water park area and walked around the aquariums and beaches for a few hours. I guess if your lucky enough to get there before the guards you can see the park for free. We then walked out out to the beach and were not let back in. We walked down the beach and found another entrance that did not have a guard.

• 5 months later...
I'll be on Royal Caribbean. Do the ships hand out maps of the ports?

They do but they are usually just maps of the shopping areas. Kind of useless IMO. :) I think once you get inside the cruise terminal, there are better maps you can pick up.

On our last cruise, we reserved a private boat that took us to neighboring Rose Island. I’ll let the photos do the talking! The absolutely best activity I’ve ever done in Nassau. It was so nice to get away from all the crowds and go to a place which we, literally, had all to ourselves. c917951c6cff24161e7a0898bc8243bb.jpg987387164a1dff794a980389128a0c5d.jpg90ea6e74a4b3bacbf34aa6e3d97c944f.jpg