Oceana wine package

jgw321

I was researching smoking policies on the various cruise lines and came across the CC articles on alcohol policies.

This article on Oceania

is at odds with what has been posted here, namely it states a 3 bottle maximum per cabin for wine and no spirits. I can only assume that:

1. this is outdated

2. CC got it wrong

3. it is true but not enforced

4. kept in reserve for troublesome guests.

I don't doubt the posters here, but I am a pessimist so I am worried that although others are OK, I'd be challenged if I brought more than 3 aboard.

I was researching smoking policies on the various cruise lines and came across the CC articles on alcohol policies.

This article on Oceania

is at odds with what has been posted here, namely it states a 3 bottle maximum per cabin for wine and no spirits. I can only assume that:

I don't doubt the posters here, but I am a pessimist so I am worried that although others are OK, I'd be challenged if I brought more than 3 aboard.

Yes- it is the published policy, which serves the purpose of CYA should an issue arise. But, a search of CC posts will clearly identify that the policy, like the "pirate's code" (Pirates of the Caribbean) is merely a "set of guidelines." (Ayyy, Aaar!)

BTW, the article cited was a CC article, which we know are often peppered with misinformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

like the "pirate's code" (Pirates of the Caribbean) is merely a "set of guidelines." (Ayyy, Aaar!)

pirate.png

BTW, the article cited was a CC article, which we know are often peppered with misinformation.
Aha, so both 2 and 4 apply. Thanks for tip, I rest assured. Edited by jgw321
correct BB code

• 2 weeks later...
does anybody know what quantity of wine is served when it is bought by the glass please?

E.g. 125ml, 150ml, 175

thank you

The standard pour for catering in the US is approx. 150 ml +\-. Thus, when planning events like a wedding, the caterer will recommend 4-5 glasses per 750 ml bottle. I don't remember ever getting "shorted" on an O ship whether with or without an alcohol package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're thinking to bring some wine on board our upcoming trip. Haven't done it before. Is there a corkage fee charged if we drink the wine in our room, as opposed to in a dining room? I'm not a very experienced cruiser and this would be first time I'd be bringing anything on board.

Technically there is a stated limit of three bottles of wine, but in actual fact that is not enforced. Passengers have posted here often about bringing on a case or more of wine. I myself haven't done that but I HAVE brought on more than three bottles. And I usually bring on a bottle of hard liquor as well.

It doesn't matter what category of room you are in. We are all treated equally in this respect.

Just be sure to obey the rule about only imbibing in your room. You CAN bring it to a restaurant if you pay the corkage fee. (If you don't finish that bottle, they will hold it for you for consumption later in any of the restaurants.)

Mura

Technically there is a stated limit of three bottles of wine, but in actual fact that is not enforced. Passengers have posted here often about bringing on a case or more of wine. I myself haven't done that but I HAVE brought on more than three bottles. And I usually bring on a bottle of hard liquor as well.

It doesn't matter what category of room you are in. We are all treated equally in this respect.

Just be sure to obey the rule about only imbibing in your room. You CAN bring it to a restaurant if you pay the corkage fee. (If you don't finish that bottle, they will hold it for you for consumption later in any of the restaurants.)

Mura

Thanks for the information. We've never been on a cruise with so many seas days and I'm so looking forward to sitting out on or balcony with my kindle and a glass of wine!

We'll be visiting a couple wineries in Chile before we board so I'm hoping to find a few bottles that we like!

Several people who got the wine package on our Rome to Venice cruise last fall complained that some of the bottles they picked weren't actually available when they wanted to drink them. They were offered substitutes but weren't happy about it. I don't know enough about wine to know whether the substitutes were better or worse than what was in the original package.

I don't know enough about wine to know whether the substitutes were better or worse than what was in the original package.

You're in the majority, it isn't easy.

I have been wine tasting for many years but there are so many wines out there, even if you are a buyer you would find wines on the list you hadn't met before. It is very hard to know if you will like a wine by just looking at the label. With experience of similar wines, you would know the style but not necessarily whether you would find it enjoyable or not.

Take Champagne as an example, we have two favourites Billecart Salmon and Tattinger, if we were given Bollinger, Moet Chandon or similar as a substitute we would be unhappy, even though these are priced higher and are highly rated, we don't like them.

Our tendancy is to pick wines we know from the list as you know what you will be getting. If substituted then you are back to pot luck and could be disappointed.

Edited by jgw321

This is something that I have had to get used to; that the prices are restaurant prices, not high street prices. On other cruise lines we have used they have had either a no wine, or 1 bottle per passenger policy for embarkation. We have a decent cellar at home with some good wines (2004 Ch Nf du Pape) so a corkage fee is painless for me.

Thank you for your comments, and the others who replied, you have put my mind at rest.

I have now found a similar cruise on the Nautica in September. We know the R class ships well, many cruises on Ocean Princess, now Serina, and also on the Pacific Princess. I may settle for Marina which is bigger so might appear more roomy. Other lines pack 2000+ passengers into a ship of that size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi JG...

I would do that as well (would love to bring a few choice bottles of wine) but I am having trouble packing what I need for 24 days or rather deciding what to pack for a cruise of this length that includes a flight from TPA to HNL. This is my longest one so far. I have the regular beverage package (beer and wine with meals) but I hear it is not that good. They are not that generous with pours and when you finish eating they stop serving. I may upgrade that to the premium beverage package or pick up a couple of bottles of vodka/gin in Honolulu.... still undecided. At any rate, as you are familiar with this class of vessel, I was wondering if the incidence of seasickness is higher on a small ship-especially as we have so many sea days. I have never sailed more than 7 in a row but they were on larger ships. I have never gotten seasick before but am concerned this may be an issue on a ship of this size. Thoughts?

Thanks

Cindy

"

They are not that generous with pours and when you finish eating they stop serving. I may upgrade that to the premium beverage package or pick up a couple of bottles of vodka/gin in Honolulu.... still undecided"

The pours of wine for either the basic drinks package or the Premium beverage package are the same- upgrading will not get you larger pours or a different by the glass wine list. We found the pours of wine in the package to be very good, and glasses were kept full. There was not an immediate cutoff of serving when you finished your last course, you could linger at your table. Now if you wish to drink other than while dining, in the various bars, then you would need the premium beverage package, or bring your own wine and pay the $25 corkage fee. Anything you bring on board you can drink in your room, no fees charged.

"

They are not that generous with pours and when you finish eating they stop serving. I may upgrade that to the premium beverage package or pick up a couple of bottles of vodka/gin in Honolulu.... still undecided"

The pours of wine for either the basic drinks package or the Premium beverage package are the same- upgrading will not get you larger pours or a different by the glass wine list. We found the pours of wine in the package to be very good, and glasses were kept full. There was not an immediate cutoff of serving when you finished your last course, you could linger at your table. Now if you wish to drink other than while dining, in the various bars, then you would need the premium beverage package, or bring your own wine and pay the $25 corkage fee. Anything you bring on board you can drink in your room, no fees charged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Thanks so much for the info~ There are so many differing accounts of traveling on Oceania, especially on the Regatta. Every bit of information is helpful in deciding what to bring and what to buy! :D

as you are familiar with this class of vessel, I was wondering if the incidence of seasickness is higher on a small ship-especially as we have so many sea days.

I am not familiar with any of the Oceania ships, except the Serenia (when she was the Ocean Princess), but I am familiar with several around the 800-900 size. I have never been on a real biggie (2000+) so can't compare. The folklore is that small ships are worse than big ships for this, which makes sense, but in reality I think it is more to do with the weather than the ship. If you are in a bad storm, they are all bad, in normal weather they are all fine.

My first sea trip was a ferry crossing (Dover-Zeebruuge) in a force 10 and I was violently ill. Since then I have never had a problem on any cruise. The older ferries were unstabilized but modern cruise ships are, which helps. They have extensions under the water that they put out in bad weather (the captain might say he has the paddles out).

I find it is no problem up to seas with just the beginnings of white horses (I call them white ponies). When it gets to substantial white crests,with spume being blown off the top of the waves then the ship tends to pitch and roll more and the white paper bags are dotted around. Walking along corridors becomes more difficult, but everyone seems to manage by using the rails. I am still OK in these conditions, but if you are susceptible (varies between people) you can get medication to help. You can get pills from reception 1 at a time at a £1 or a $1 each, depending on the ships currency, or you can get your own before hand. These have a side effect of making you drowsy, Carol has slept through lunch when she used them. She is susceptible but has only needed them on about 5 days out of around 150. Neither of us has ever succumed, though she has felt unwell once or twice, but the pills cure it. There is one you can get that does not have the sleepiness side effect, but I forget what they are called, and I think they are not available over the counter in USA.

We have found that around the British Isles and northern Europe the worst weather is in the winter. I wouln't go to the Caribean in the hurrican season. I assume most lines are aware of when and where the worst weather is and plan their schedules accordingly.

I hope this helps.

I am not familiar with any of the Oceania ships, except the Serenia (when she was the Ocean Princess), but I am familiar with several around the 800-900 size. I have never been on a real biggie (2000+) so can't compare. The folklore is that small ships are worse than big ships for this, which makes sense, but in reality I think it is more to do with the weather than the ship. If you are in a bad storm, they are all bad, in normal weather they are all fine.

My first sea trip was a ferry crossing (Dover-Zeebruuge) in a force 10 and I was violently ill. Since then I have never had a problem on any cruise. The older ferries were unstabilized but modern cruise ships are, which helps. They have extensions under the water that they put out in bad weather (the captain might say he has the paddles out).

I find it is no problem up to seas with just the beginnings of white horses (I call them white ponies). When it gets to substantial white crests,with spume being blown off the top of the waves then the ship tends to pitch and roll more and the white paper bags are dotted around. Walking along corridors becomes more difficult, but everyone seems to manage by using the rails. I am still OK in these conditions, but if you are susceptible (varies between people) you can get medication to help. You can get pills from reception 1 at a time at a £1 or a $1 each, depending on the ships currency, or you can get your own before hand. These have a side effect of making you drowsy, Carol has slept through lunch when she used them. She is susceptible but has only needed them on about 5 days out of around 150. Neither of us has ever succumed, though she has felt unwell once or twice, but the pills cure it. There is one you can get that does not have the sleepiness side effect, but I forget what they are called, and I think they are not available over the counter in USA.

We have found that around the British Isles and northern Europe the worst weather is in the winter. I wouln't go to the Caribean in the hurrican season. I assume most lines are aware of when and where the worst weather is and plan their schedules accordingly.

I hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you. Yes it does... like you, I once got sick on a ferry which was what prompted me to ask the question. I don’t ever want to feel that way again. As I said, I have been on cruise ships and tend to like the roll... not thrilled when the vessel ‘slams’ you out of bed as it did going from Spain to Portugal but I still did not feel ill. It is good to know the desk will provide more than a bag. None the less I will take precaution and pick up a few scopolamine transdermal patches from my local pharmacy just to be on the safe side and prevent this. 🤢. Again, thanks

Cindy

I hope this helps.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember the front desk giving Dramamine tablets for no cost a couple of years ago. Maybe that's changed.

We were talking Oceania wine packages, but the thread had finished. Knot4Cindy then asked me about my experience on small ships. As I haven't been on Oceania I can only talk about Princess, HAL, Fred Olsen and CMV.

Oceania is a bit more up market than those I mentioned, so it could well be that they provide them as needed as part of the package.

Hi folks

My wife and I have been on several Oceania cruises and loved them. We might be considered a bit picky on the wine front but have never liked the wines on offer in the packages, preferring to buy from the wine lists as we dine. Most of the sommeliers know their stuff and are helpful in wine selection at all eating venues. In times of question the head sommelier is an excellent resource for advice and arbitration. We get a wine list, which includes prices, when on board to keep in our room, including the list from the specialty restaurants in order to have a reference.

I know there is a big fat mark up but we have to swallow that. Having said that we do bring wine aboard from the port of embarkation and pick up stuff when we can in ports along the way to drink in the stateroom. I make sure to carry the wine myself after experiencing someone dropping my carry on case which smashed a very nice bottle. (the concierge was most helpful with a shipboard credit and arranged for dry cleaning).

On the Nautica currently. The wine package offered was dominated by South African wines they procured. Very low end wines that retail from $8-$12 each are in the package for $47+ each. No wines of interest on the list. Also, a lot those SA wines on the included packages wine list. All have been mediocre at best. Fortunately we have a few other wines on the list that I have survived with. I have bought three bottles at dinner of the good stuff and paid corkage on two others. Overall poorest included wine selection of any cruise I’ve take thus far.