Canadian Cruisers: purchase in USD or CAD?

Eloquence

Canadian, and most non-US cruisers likely, have this additional currency conversion game to play to find the best price.

Oceania offers a choice to pay USD or CAD in my case.

I have heard rumours of some “at par” deals on July 1. That could TA deals though.

I’m wondering what strategy the hive mind here on the Oceania forum has for non-US bookings.

We have booked our last three cruises in CND. That way the price is the price. If we like it we book it. If not we don’t. I don’t wish to worry re currency fluctuations.

We pay on CND cc that includes insurance and health coverage as a bonus. And yes we have other coverage as well. But for the most part, we “self insure” and are waay ahead of the game there. Your mileage may vary.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have booked our last three cruises in CND. That way the price is the price. If we like it we book it. If not we don’t. I don’t wish to worry re currency fluctuations.

We pay on CND cc that includes insurance and health coverage as a bonus. And yes we have other coverage as well. But for the most part, we “self insure” and are waay ahead of the game there. Your mileage may vary.

Mo

What CC are you using for that coverage?

We are with Mo on this one - it seemed a good idea to book in Canadian funds. I forget now what the exchange rate is, but it seemed reasonable.

See also https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/TAC/promo-flyers/89114/Canadian%20Pricing.pdf

Frances

What isn’t clear is if the quarterly conversion update results in a lower price that a booking can be updated to the lower price. I am assuming the guarantee applies.

If paying in USD, in fact even if paying in CAD, make sure you do not incur that somewhat hidden Foreign Currency Transaction Fee from almost all Canadian reward CCs. If paying in USD the CCs roll the fee into the exchange so it is not readily apparent.

If pay in CDN the FCTF could still be applied but is obvious as the charge will be more and should have a notation. I use a CC w/o such a fee for all transactions outside of Canada though in theory I still I could still get hit with the charge on a Canadian company transaction but is a much smaller risk.

I'm booking in CAD $'s - at least I know what the price is and not have to worry about the $ dropping just as the final payment comes due.

If the price drops for whatever reason O should let you receive the savings.

If paying in USD, in fact even if paying in CAD, make sure you do not incur that somewhat hidden Foreign Currency Transaction Fee from almost all Canadian reward CCs. If paying in USD the CCs roll the fee into the exchange so it is not readily apparent.

If pay in CDN the FCTF could still be applied but is obvious as the charge will be more and should have a notation. I use a CC w/o such a fee for all transactions outside of Canada though in theory I still I could still get hit with the charge on a Canadian company transaction but is a much smaller risk.

If you are referring to Marriott Visa Rewards Credit Card, Chase Canada is ending it on March 15th. No idea why,

The only remaining card in Canada with no foreign transaction fee - according to Credit Card Genius is Home Trust Preferred Visa

Hopefully your TA can quote in both so u can make an informed decision. I wonder if the reference to a foreign transaction fee is because O banked in Ireland. As a result same currency transactions were sometimes charged the fee even though no currency conversion occurred. Not sure if this is still a problem. First booking I tried to do in $cdn was onboard and the rate was appalling. Don't have more recent experience as last booking was done in US funds.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

`currently going through this dilemma. It's cheaper right now to book in US. The exchange rate that O is offering is about 127.5%. XE rate plus my 2.5% from my card is about 126.5% but it sure would be nice to have the price locked in. One of my considerations is most perks come from US agents and most can't book in Canadian.

`currently going through this dilemma. It's cheaper right now to book in US. The exchange rate that O is offering is about 127.5%. XE rate plus my 2.5% from my card is about 126.5% but it sure would be nice to have the price locked in. One of my considerations is most perks come from US agents and most can't book in Canadian.

Just curious - what perks do they offer? Possibly more onboard credits? We are getting free gratuities from the Canadian company, plus free wifi and free oLife excursions, and shipboard credits from O.

Agree though that it is tricky to figure out about best strategy. We went for Canadian dollars just to lock it in.

Frances

francestoronto at gmail.com

Edited by Tansy Mews
Took out company name since I believe it isn't allowed.

Just curious - what perks do they offer? Possibly more onboard credits? We are getting free gratuities from the Canadian company, plus free wifi and free oLife excursions, and shipboard credits from O.

Agree though that it is tricky to figure out about best strategy. We went for Canadian dollars just to lock it in.

Frances

francestoronto at gmail.com

I don't blame you for locking it in. Yes, normally more perks, OBC & Gratuities. getting gratuities paid for from a Canadian agent is good.

A year or so ago I paid in CAD and locked in for a cruise at the end of this year. O had reasonable exchange rate a the time. But for me the main thing is that I know what the final price will be; a wee bit of currency hedging. As I accepted the price I paid at the time there is no sense looking back; it is done. I only want to think of the cruise ahead and not wonder what final payment will be. If the CAD does go up before final payment I will not work out how much I could have saved. Don't want to add to the FP pain. Like my Blackjack results, a small loss has more pain and than the same size gain.

I think O adjusts the rate quarterly(?). Comparing against your CC's rate when you book O's rate could be great, good, fair, not so good, lousy. But then you never know if comparatively it will become better or worse unless you are locked in.

If you are referring to Marriott Visa Rewards Credit Card, Chase Canada is ending it on March 15th. No idea why,

The only remaining card in Canada with no foreign transaction fee - according to Credit Card Genius is Home Trust Preferred Visa

Yes, thanks cruisingexpert. We had a Home Trust application in the works but have not received the card yet. Good you get that info out for fellow CC members

I suspected both of Chase's Canadian cards would be discontinued when I saw they were no longing taking applications last year. I have their Amazon card which I used almost exclusively for online foreign purchases. Had a low limit which I liked to mitigate damage if stolen though a little clumsy when paying for a cruise.

We'd been planning (i.e. procrastinating) on getting their Marriott card. We went to fill out the application just shortly after they removed the link. I learned that at the time there was still a "have to know the URL" page available with the link but whether Chase would actually approve a new card was not known. We didn't bother trying anticipating discontinuation anyway.

I had heard that the Amazon card would be discontinued soon and with a little searching found the online letter dated January 15 explaining that. I found this letter on January 13 so they were well prepared. I did get my physical letter exactly on the 15th.

There is one other choice for not feeling the full pain from Foreign Currency Transaction Fees and that is a credit card from an Internet provider whose name begins with "R". I know there is no rule here that I can't write their name just I can't bring myself to do it. I was a customer of theirs at one time when they were the only ISP in this area and it reflected in their service.

Their terms shows the clout though of the underlying credit card network because even this card has to charge a fee. However they rebate the fee through increased reward of 4% (I think) to compensate. A drawback is that the rewards are used to pay for their services and not being a customer has no value to me.

So for those who like that provider and have an account with them this is a good option too.

I admit to being somewhat envious of the great offers US residents get. Our merchants pay similar high fees, actually we pay the fees for the others benefits because it's included in the price) without us getting the same benefits. But that's part of being in a smaller market.

A year or so ago I paid in CAD and locked in for a cruise at the end of this year. O had reasonable exchange rate a the time. But for me the main thing is that I know what the final price will be; a wee bit of currency hedging. As I accepted the price I paid at the time there is no sense looking back; it is done. I only want to think of the cruise ahead and not wonder what final payment will be. If the CAD does go up before final payment I will not work out how much I could have saved. Don't want to add to the FP pain. Like my Blackjack results, a small loss has more pain and than the same size gain.

I think O adjusts the rate quarterly(?). Comparing against your CC's rate when you book O's rate could be great, good, fair, not so good, lousy. But then you never know if comparatively it will become better or worse unless you are locked in.

Hi Mark:

We did the same thing. I don’t like the uncertainty of not knowing the final price.

We will be on the Riviera TA in November. What about you?

Would enjoy cruising with you again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums