Are men’s allowed on the theater with casual attire?

Ivy86

Whilst there maybe no 'Theatre Fashion Police' Hovering Around, there are indeed members of the Entertainment team who stand at the entrance to the theatre doors. They are not standing there just to give a cheery welcome to guests into the Theatre , they'll have no hesitation in politely reminding a guest, in what could be termed as a 'sensible or suitable standard of dress', whether it's a formal evening or not. Certainly on QM2 I witnessed a couple of folks turned away, who arrived in baseball caps/ shorts and grubby trainers.

At the end of the day ( or I should say evening ) I don't believe a jacket is mandatory for access to the theatre. However, as I'm one who would never be seen on a Cunard ship without a jacket after 6pm ( formal or not) I do admit to removing my jacket in the theatre once the lights go down. ;) ...... One can never be seen with a creased backside when visiting the Commodore Bar or G32 for that cheeky little Night Cap.

Edited by Bell Boy

I am appalled that you would do that and I speak as one who follows the dress code.

I wonder what would happen if passengers refused to comply or made a complaint against the company for being so humiliated.

Note your sympathy for those who refuse to comply with the dress code in the Theatre.

Passengers who refuse to comply with evening dress code have the use of the buffet and Garden Lounge.

It is well known that those who complain in an aggressive manner can be disembarked.

Why do you find such enforcement "appalling"? I've heard that this is how Disney enforces "adult only" venues and show times. Parents who bring children are told - in full view of anybody else - that this area or time is for adults only.

I applaud PR for taking the initiative to say something. Somebody who chooses not to follow the announced dress code deserves to be "reminded". In this iternet age it's hard to believe that somebody could board Cunard ships and not be aware that they are the most formal at sea. (One assumes that some due diligence would be done before making any kind of big purchase.)

Whilst there maybe no 'Theatre Fashion Police' Hovering Around, there are indeed members of the Entertainment team who stand at the entrance to the theatre doors. They are not standing there just to give a cheery welcome to guests into the Theatre , they'll have no hesitation in politely reminding a guest, in what could be termed as a 'sensible or suitable standard of dress', whether it's a formal evening or not. Certainly on QM2 I witnessed a couple of folks turned away, who arrived in baseball caps/ shorts and grubby trainers.

At the end of the day ( or I should say evening ) I don't believe a jacket is mandatory for access to the theatre. However, as I'm one who would never be seen on a Cunard ship without a jacket after 6pm ( formal or not) I do admit to removing my jacket in the theatre once the lights go down. ;) ...... One can never be seen with a creased backside when visiting the Commodore Bar or G32 for that cheeky little Night Cap.

Beat me too it Bell Boy. Pretty standard routine on both Cunard and P&O to have members of the Entertainment Staff at the theatre entrances.

My question as well Blue Riband.

If one cannot stand the heat one should leave the kitchen, so as to speak.

I am appalled that you would do that and I speak as one who follows the dress code.

I wonder what would happen if passengers refused to comply or made a complaint against the company for being so humiliated.

...and the humiliation would be complete when the theatre erupted into spontaneous applause as the 'miscreant' left the stage. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

Why do you find such enforcement "appalling"? I've heard that this is how Disney enforces "adult only" venues and show times. Parents who bring children are told - in full view of anybody else - that this area or time is for adults only.

I applaud PR for taking the initiative to say something. Somebody who chooses not to follow the announced dress code deserves to be "reminded". In this iternet age it's hard to believe that somebody could board Cunard ships and not be aware that they are the most formal at sea. (One assumes that some due diligence would be done before making any kind of big purchase.)

The word appalling referred solely to a passenger policing others re wearing jackets in the theatre. I think the dress code should be enforced by staff where applicable but as standard and not on an unfair ad hoc basis.

I've just booked our first cruise on Cunard, QM2 Transatlantic Westbound and reading posts like this make me wonder if I've made a horrendous mistake.

We have a few cruises under our belts -8 Disney cruises and a handful of NCL cruises. But now that our daughter is 16 we thought we'd try something a little more 'grown up'.

We plan to comply fully with the dress code (I, more so than my husband actually enjoy dressing up, and he just wears what I leave out for him which will be a Tuxedo suit/Kilt or Sports coat depending on the night ) but if some poor soul finds himself in the theatre, very nicely dressed but no jacket people would actually get a kick out of complaining about them and humiliating them....I just can't get my head round that.

Am wondering if I'm just the wrong generation for this type of cruise (and I consider myself an oldie at 44 ;p)

Edited by KatieG73

I've just booked our first cruise on Cunard, QM2 Transatlantic Westbound and reading posts like this make me wonder if I've made a horrendous mistake.

We have a few cruises under our belts -8 Disney cruises and a handful of NCL cruises. But now that our daughter is 16 we thought we'd try something a little more 'grown up'.

We plan to comply fully with the dress code (I, more so than my husband actually enjoy dressing up, and he just wears what I leave out for him which will be a Tuxedo suit/Kilt or Sports coat depending on the night ) but if some poor soul finds himself in the theatre, very nicely dressed but no jacket people would actually get a kick out of complaining about them and humiliating them....I just can't get my head round that.

Am wondering if I'm just the wrong generation for this type of cruise (and I consider myself an oldie at 44 ;p)

As far as I know this cruise line is more for older crowds I would not take my teenagers on a Cunard’s cruise ... Royal Caribbean , NCL or Carnival are more suitable for them . I’m pretty sure my laid back children will hate to dress up or wearing jackets every single night 😑 My cousin took her son and he hated . 😬

As far as I know this cruise line is more for older crowds I would not take my teenagers on a Cunard’s cruise ... Royal Caribbean , NCL or Carnival are more suitable for them . I’m pretty sure my laid back children will hate to dress up or wearing jackets every single night 😑 My cousin took her son and he hated . 😬

Am hoping we'll be ok- we've done Haven on NCL and loved it, , don't fancy RCL at all (not sure why as am sure it's great but just never appealed to me.

Luckily our daughter loves to dress up (at her age it's parties every weekend!) although appreciate her normal party wear wont be suitable for QM2!! She has a couple of balls coming up with School and her choir so we've got a couple of shopping trips planned to purchase gowns that could be used for the cruise and at her later events.

We do tend to dress up quite often anyway for nice dinners out/weekends away etc so she does have a number of cocktail style/wedding guest type dresses as part of her staple wardrobe.

I'm quite intrigued by the question regarding what attire is acceptable in the theatre on formal nights as I am wondering WHO would enforce such a dress requirement. On every occasion that I have been in the theatre (which is every night on every cruise) apart from a few drinks waiters on duty serving drinks in the theatre, I have never seen anybody who you could describe as "ships staff" in the theatre who could enforce a dress code if they wanted to.

The "excessive" reserving of seats is rife, people record the performances or parts thereof (mainly on mobile phones) with apparent impunity despite a pre-show announcement warning of copyright. Hence my observation that the enforcement of any "rules" in the theatre is extremely tenuous.

David

Even on the cunard website says that you only can wear casual clothes on Lido and adjacent areas so I was wondering what if my husband wants to go see a show and he doesnt have a jacket or tuxedo on will he be ask to leave? This will be my first cunard cruise and I’m already regretting choosing this cruise line for what I’ve have been reading. I definitely don’t want to go see a show and having all eyes on

Me or my hubby just because we are not wearing gowns and tuxedos that’s ridiculous we are there to enjoy the cruise and have fun not to be JUDGE. 😑🙄

If either of you want to use the theatre after 6pm you will be expected to comply with the dress code for the evening. On an informal night it's not too difficult as others have already posted.

Is your husband not planning to take a jacket at all ?

Am hoping we'll be ok- we've done Haven on NCL and loved it, , don't fancy RCL at all (not sure why as am sure it's great but just never appealed to me.

Luckily our daughter loves to dress up (at her age it's parties every weekend!) although appreciate her normal party wear wont be suitable for QM2!! She has a couple of balls coming up with School and her choir so we've got a couple of shopping trips planned to purchase gowns that could be used for the cruise and at her later events.

We do tend to dress up quite often anyway for nice dinners out/weekends away etc so she does have a number of cocktail style/wedding guest type dresses as part of her staple wardrobe.

Good Luck! I will not torture my children that way 😂 They will be extremely bored since all the activities and music appear to be for older crowds. My daughter would not be interested at all in learning to dance waltz or any other ballroom dance. 😬

Good Luck! I will not torture my children that way 😂 They will be extremely bored since all the activities and music appear to be for older crowds. My daughter would not be interested at all in learning to dance waltz or any other ballroom dance. 😬

Fortunately there are plenty of other things going on, especially on a Transatlantic crossing.

If either of you want to use the theatre after 6pm you will be expected to comply with the dress code for the evening. On an informal night it's not too difficult as others have already posted.

Is your husband not planning to take a jacket at all ?

Yes he does but I just saying that wearing a jacket every single night it’s not something he wants to do .and if we are obligue to do that just to see a show this cruise line it’s definitely not for us

Yes he does but I just saying that wearing a jacket every single night it’s not something he wants to do .and if we are obligue to do that just to see a show this cruise line it’s definitely not for us

Sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't spoil your cruise too much.