Cuba confusion

kentlady

We went on our first Azamara cruise over Christmas/New Year and loved it so booked for next Christmas whilst on board which includes an overnight in Havana and this is where I need some clarification. I understand that we have to pay $75 each for a visa which was never mentioned by the girl that did the booking for us but my main concern is that I have just read on another thread that we are only allowed off the ship if we are doing an approved tour does that mean that at no time are we allowed to wander round on our own if so that is a huge disappointment as the length of time in Havana was the main reason for booking.

We went on our first Azamara cruise over Christmas/New Year and loved it so booked for next Christmas whilst on board which includes an overnight in Havana and this is where I need some clarification. I understand that we have to pay $75 each for a visa which was never mentioned by the girl that did the booking for us but my main concern is that I have just read on another thread that we are only allowed off the ship if we are doing an approved tour does that mean that at no time are we allowed to wander round on our own if so that is a huge disappointment as the length of time in Havana was the main reason for booking.

We went on the inaugural cruise to Cuba last year and were able to do our own thing there and took a private tour to Vinales, as well as walked around Havana on our own. Since, then the rules for US based Cruises have been Trumped and have changed slightly. Rather than do a full explanation here, follow the link to this thread which should address your concerns. https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2566150

You will have to purchase the Visa onboard, there doesn’t appear to be a way around that, despite being able to purchase it cheaper yourself.

Have a great cruise, we did

According to Azamara's FAQs you will be allowed to "roam" after your tour, but it must be an all day tour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please spend some time researching, there's a number of categories you can select. We will be selecting the 'support the Cuban People' category as we are doing some private tours (cars) and ship's excursions. As Robin has said you are not compelled to'only' select ships excursions to get around on your own.

We were on Azamara's first cruise to Cuba after the regulations changed. I poured over the Code of Federal Regulations and conferenced with colleges from law school who were also planning trips to Cuba, as we had only 2 weeks between the change in the law and our departure. My husband thought I was worrying about nothing, but there was much confusion onboard our cruise and Azamara told a lot of folks they could not have a Visa or leave the ship unless they booked s ship's tour. There was no way I was going to do that in that I hate groups and I firmly believe the Azamara tours were not compliant with the new regulations. We were not given a hard time and that might be because we selected "Support the Cuban People". We booked our own tour through Tours by Blexie (blexie100588@gmail.com), which I can't recommend highly enough. We've had wonderful private guides in Russia and a few spots in Europe, but this really was the best possible experience. Our second day in Havana we toured on our own, though we were paying attention to have "meaningful contact" with the Cuban People, which isn't hard as they are so open and interesting and interested, conversations flow freely. I am confident that our visit complied with the spirit and the letter of the law.

I'm pasting the applicable section of the Code of Federal Regulations as well as an example of permissible travel from the Treasury Department's website. I found them helpful and hope you do as well.

§ 515.574Support for the Cuban People.

(a) General license. The travel-related transactions set forth in § 515.560© and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people are authorized, provided that:

(1) The activities are of:

(i) Recognized human rights organizations;

(ii) Independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; or

(iii) Individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; and

(2) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

Note to § 515.574(a):

Each person relying on the general authorization in this paragraph must retain specific records related to the authorized travel transactions. See §§ 501.601 and 501.602 of this chapter for applicable recordkeeping and reporting requirements.

Example 1 to § 515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler’s activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual’s qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual’s travel qualifies for the general license.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've seen nothing in my cruise documentation about the $75.00 visa fee. It is not mentioned in any of the shore excursion brochures.

We are on the Quest March 9-19.

Hoping to get some clarification from Azamara.

The visa's are purchased upon embarkation. $75/pp

Bottom Line: Its not clear exactly what constitutes "contact."

From the US Embassy Havana:

Travel to Cuba for tourist activities remains prohibited by statute. However, the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued general licenses for 12 categories of travel. Individuals who meet the regulatory conditions of the general license they seek to travel under do not need to apply for an additional license from OFAC to travel to Cuba. The 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba are: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials; and certain authorized export transactions.

For details on Cuba sanctions regulations, including fact sheets on recent changes and information about applying for an OFAC license, please visit this Department of Treasury webpage on Cuba sanctions. The Department of State also provides information on Cuba sanctions and travel restrictions on its webpage on Cuba sanctions.

In accordance with the National Security Presidential Memorandum on Strengthening the Policy of the United States Toward Cuba of June 2017, the State Department also publishes a list of entities and subentities that are under the control of, or act for or on behalf of, the Cuban military, intelligence, or security services or personnel and with which direct financial transactions would disproportionately benefit the Cuban military, intelligence, or security services or personnel at the expense of the Cuban people or private enterprise in Cuba – the State Department’s List of Restricted Entities and Subentities Associated with Cuba (“Cuba Restricted List”). Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction will now be prohibited from engaging in certain direct financial transactions with entities and subentities identified by the State Department on the Cuba Restricted List. Certain transactions will be excluded from this prohibition pursuant to exceptions detailed in the NSPM.

The use of a tour fulfills the minimum requirement for a visa. The Trump Administration believes many of these small private Cuban entities are really covert military operations and thus revenue for the Cuban military. The Administration's claim that US Embassy employees were being "radiated" by Cuban authorities adds to the increased "fear" of US-Cuban contact. Note that US Embassy Moscow came under a similar threats in the 1960s. Cubans likely do not have the technology, must less the desire, to restrict contact and monies gained from contact. The restriction on US persons is more political than practical. Note again that no restrictions are placed on non-US citizens. How Azamara differentiates their tour requirement to meet the June 2017 directive and visas for citizens of different countries is unknown to me. We visited Cuba on a July cruise booked prior to the new edicts and had no problem with independent touring following a ship sponsor excursion.

Also note that you need to officially exchange "hard" currency for CUC (Cuban Convertible Currency) and as a foreigner use CUC for any purchase, including meals. Locals use the Cuban Peso worth about one-twentieth of one CUC.

I've seen nothing in my cruise documentation about the $75.00 visa fee. It is not mentioned in any of the shore excursion brochures.

We are on the Quest March 9-19.

Hoping to get some clarification from Azamara.

There was no mention of the visa by Azamara for us pre cruise either, but the TA we booked with told us about it before we booked. She also told us we could use obc to pay for it, and gave us obc to cover the cost. But once on board we discovered that wasn't allowed. There was one gentleman on our cruise who used a visa he had purchased previously. He said Azamara kept telling him it would not be accepted but he persisted and it was accepted at passport control as he entered Cuba without issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums