Jolly beach vs Dickenson's bay

Can'tstopcruising

Hi, we have never been to Dickenson bay but we took a taxi to Jolly Beach the day after Christmas. $50 round trip for 4 people. Our original plan was to go to Valley Church but our driver said that beach was a bit over crowded so he took us to Jolly Beach. We thought the water was so blue and beautiful (sunny weather probably helped) and the waves were super calm. We were able to rent two chairs and an umbrella for $10. Also, I wanted to add that we tried walking down to the bus station to save in cab fare but ended up going with the taxi because we did not feel it was the safest area once you exit the tourist part of the cruise port and we didn't see any other cruise passengers there. These are our pictures. 081c082e46a9463baaf54191f21f11c4.jpg<br />

886b6b151941bffcbdefa1f229112e7e.jpg<br />

<br />

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Thank you.

I read yesterday about someone who experienced terrible sand fly bites at one of Antigua's beaches.

Did you notice any sand flies?

Were there clean bathrooms available?

Thanks again

Beautiful photos by the way!

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. No sand flies, in fact I have never encountered sand flies so I don't have a great idea of what they look like but no pests. We did not use the bathroom as we were only there for 2.5 hours but there was a bar and what looked like a beach resort farther behind us (large building) so I assume they would have clean bathrooms.

Thank you.

I read yesterday about someone who experienced terrible sand fly bites at one of Antigua's beaches.

Did you notice any sand flies?

Were there clean bathrooms available?

Thanks again

Beautiful photos by the way!

Those are sand fleas and they bite. I didn't see any at Jolly 2 weeks ago. They charge $2 to use restroom at the bar for a day.

• 4 weeks later...

I was bitten by a sand flea at Valley Church just down the coast from Jolly Beach. It looked just like a fly that landed on my foot but I was amazed when it suddenly bit me and I started bleeding! I incurred another bite before covering myself in repellant, but luckily I did not see one again after that. No issues with the bites swelling or anything. This was the only beach on our Eastern Caribbean cruise that we experienced this.

Is it a gentle slope or steep drop to get in and out?

It was a small drop once you get about 3 or 4 feet into the water. Definitely shuffle your feet as the water does not have good clarity so you cannot see the drop down. Wow, lots of talk about these sand fleas- I have been fortunate to never encounter them but they sound terrible!