Why does finding flights have to be such a pain?

NoLifeDGenerate

I usually have no problem finding flights to anywhere. However, for my Oct 2019 cruise I'm going to need to get to Quebec City from LAX....and have read it's not that easy...suggestions...much appreciated.

I usually have no problem finding flights to anywhere. However, for my Oct 2019 cruise I'm going to need to get to Quebec City from LAX....and have read it's not that easy...suggestions...much appreciated.

I would think it would be a simple one-stop via Toronto or Montreal? Could also make the three-hour trek to Montreal and hop on a nonstop there.

As stated, you should have no trouble finding flights on Air Canada via YYZ or YUL (or both, as I did last time I flew from LAX - darn FF ticket availability :rolleyes:). You can also look at flying via ORD or EWR on United, or PHL on American.

The "not easy" comes from the fact that there isn't as much "lift" out of Quebec, just because it is a smaller market. Also, most of the flights are heading to Canadian hubs (Toronto/Montreal) rather than cross-border destinations. So for those folks who only look at USA carriers, they end up seeing fewer options.

As Zach says, a simple one-stop connection from LAX via Toronto or Montreal would likely be the simplest approach. Double connects would also be available - just do some searches through Matrix and you should get an idea of what's out there.

As stated, you should have no trouble finding flights on Air Canada via YYZ or YUL (or both, as I did last time I flew from LAX - darn FF ticket availability :rolleyes:). You can also look at flying via ORD or EWR on United, or PHL on American.

My favorite FF availability is when I had to fly from Wellington to Kansas City via Sydney, Honolulu, and an overnight in Seattle...

I would think it would be a simple one-stop via Toronto or Montreal? Could also make the three-hour trek to Montreal and hop on a nonstop there.
When we started a cruise in Quebec City, it ended up being easiest for us to fly non-stop to Montreal and then take the cruise line's transfer. It wasn't the most scintillating coach journey ever, but we got a decent nap on board and "trek" makes it sound worse than it was. On our schedule, it was less hassle than doing an international --> domestic connection comprising an additional flight from Montreal to Quebec City, and then having to organise a further transfer to the ship.

We have so many airlines and so many flights, but somehow there's nothing to accommodate a 7 day cruise from Seattle on July 28th. Like nobody does direct flights from Pittsburgh area to Seattle. Flights are never anywhere close to the right time of day for arriving/leaving on cruises. Last time I went on a cruise was in Miami. Took the shuttle from the cruise line back to Ft Lauderdale and ended up sitting in front of the check-in counters for like 3 hours because it was too early to even check our luggage, and what else were we going to do with it? Haul it around town and look for a restaurant to chill in? that sucked. Was using my suitcase for a seat.

Cross country flights for cruising ... you should definitely be looking at the day before your cruise and the day after your cruise for flights. Never same day arrival/departure as the cruise. Just FYI.

When we started a cruise in Quebec City, it ended up being easiest for us to fly non-stop to Montreal and then take the cruise line's transfer. It wasn't the most scintillating coach journey ever, but we got a decent nap on board and "trek" makes it sound worse than it was. On our schedule, it was less hassle than doing an international --> domestic connection comprising an additional flight from Montreal to Quebec City, and then having to organise a further transfer to the ship.

To add to this, Orleans Express runs a bus from YUL to the main bus station in Quebec City (adjacent to the train station), which is much closer to the port than the airport - indeed, it's walkable in a pinch, especially if you're docked at Wharf 30.

My favorite FF availability is when I had to fly from Wellington to Kansas City via Sydney, Honolulu, and an overnight in Seattle...

I've learned to embrace the quirks of FF availability - in 3 weeks' time I'm flying to Barcelona via YYZ and Warsaw...

We did a Quebec City departure for a Fall Foliage trip down the US east coast two years ago. Great trip and excellent weather - did have snow flurries in QC but the rest was CAVU. Discovered that airline connections into YQB are very limited; difficult to arrive from the US and connections via EWR or YUL are limited As a result flew into EWR and overnighted at a nearby hotel to catch a midmorning flight. Looked at the Montreal bus option as there are several companies offering that connection, to include rail. It was easier planning flights to Australia from the US than flying into YQB. FYI, Quebec City is worth a several days visit prior to sailing.

Um....get over it?

I live two hours from the nearest airport and 6 hours from the nearest MAJOR airport. Nonstop flights? Not a thing in my world.

I have to plan at LEAST one full day there and back whenever I plan a trip--and usually more than that, overnighting where the airport is to catch a morning flight.

It's a pain but I do it because I love to travel and because I can. Many people can't afford the luxury.