Signature Savings query

stamfordian

With these special Signature Savings events currently taking place - with three veranda suite upgrades - does anyone know what happens to the V1, V2 and V3 suites? Is there a sudden flurry of lower price offers after the cut-off date for the signature deals? We have been looking at an option on a Med cruise later in the year where there are no V1, V2 or V3 prices quoted (nor indeed any A or A1).

The TA offered the "best deal" as either a firm price on the V2 level, yielding a V5, or a V4 GTY which would guarantee a V4 (of which there are none left!) or a V5 or V6.

However, the prices quoted are somewhat higher then were being quoted earlier in the booking season for V1 or V2.

Presumably when the special booking period (up to 13 March) expires there will still be some suites on offer?

Has anybody else experienced this slightly bizarre marketing?

I have been aware of this marketing strategy by Seabourn for a while now. Perhaps 6 months or so. I have used it to pay a V2 price for a V5 suite and been happy with the deal. After the special finishes the V5 price returns to "normal" and on the cruises I have booked, remains several thousand dollars higher than what I have paid.

These days I prefer to book a specific suite rather than a guarantee (OB) as I have had a couple of less than desirable suites allocated, and don't want to run the risk of that happening again (eg I got that small balcony suite next to the Wintergarden on a 28 night cruise - it was a V2, so an upgrade from my OB booking. I also had a V6 under the pool deck with plenty of early morning noise).

I don't know if an OB price has been released after the "signature" type special finishes, however I suspect that if a departure isn't selling well, it is always a possibility. In Australia we can rebook to any new released price (before cancellation penalties start), so it does give us some protection if the price drops or we want to move to a "better value" category.

Just had a great deal

Paid for a V1 and got a V4 suite 815 on the Encore got the 5% onboard discount and the excellent gigantic discount from the best Seabourn agent in the UK. I'll give you a clue the name is an English gold coin. 😂

Also went with the subsidised air package and paid £60 per person business return Europe on British Airways.

Very happy indeed

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

Just had a great deal

Paid for a V1 and got a V4 suite 815 on the Encore got the 5% onboard discount and the excellent gigantic discount from the best Seabourn agent in the UK. I'll give you a clue the name is an English gold coin. 😂

Also went with the subsidised air package and paid £60 per person business return Europe on British Airways.

Very happy indeed

Guinea?

Don't think the Guinea cruise club ever existed , nor a gold coin of that name. However, according to Wikipedia "the florin or double leopard was an attempt in 1344 by English king Edward III to produce a gold coinage suitable for use in Europe as well as in England (see also half florin or leopard and quarter florin or helm). It was 108 grains (6.99829 grams) of nominal pure ('fine') gold and had a value of six shillings (i.e. 72d)"

As far as I remember the Quarter Florin Cruise Agency sunk without a trace a while back

Don't think the Guinea cruise club ever existed , nor a gold coin of that name. However, according to Wikipedia "the florin or double leopard was an attempt in 1344 by English king Edward III to produce a gold coinage suitable for use in Europe as well as in England (see also half florin or leopard and quarter florin or helm). It was 108 grains (6.99829 grams) of nominal pure ('fine') gold and had a value of six shillings (i.e. 72d)"

As far as I remember the Quarter Florin Cruise Agency sunk without a trace a while back

There most certainly was a Guinea gold coin and the Guinea as a denomination survived right up to decimilisation although the coins themselves were no longer in circulation. The coins appear regularly in coin auctions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_(coin)

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/results.php?auction_id=481&search_footnote=&keywords=Guinea&action=Search

Thanks for the correction - just goes to show one should never trust Wikipedia - and that one should never pretend to talk with authority about something one knows very little about. The only gold coins I have any real familiarity with are made of chocolate, wrapped in tinfoil and found under the Xmas tree

Thanks for the correction - just goes to show one should never trust Wikipedia - and that one should never pretend to talk with authority about something one knows very little about. The only gold coins i have any real familiarity with are made of chocolate, wrapped in tinfoil and found under the Xmas tree

I apologise if I was a little abrupt.

I am a collector of coins though not of gold ones. When I get into anorak mode I can get a little carried away by the hobby.

No apology necessary, no feathers ruffled, it seemed evident straight away that you were a collector. I tend to be a bit short myself when people talk tosh about something I do know and care about.

I wanted to add one of those smiley face things, but they seem to have disapeared....

Just had a great deal

Very happy indeed

That seems a great deal on the business air package, may I ask from where (LHR?) to where?

Certainly makes our business air prices from Oz seem expensive

I have also used your marvelous UK TA a number of times, unfortunately the poor exchange rate meant that the deal wasn't so great for our forthcoming cruise.

That seems a great deal on the business air package, may I ask from where (LHR?) to where?

Certainly makes our business air prices from Oz seem expensive

I have also used your marvelous UK TA a number of times, unfortunately the poor exchange rate meant that the deal wasn't so great for our forthcoming cruise.

It will be after the current air credit offer for seabourn air on certain cruises eg £400 etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Britannia? No wait, just got it - you still see quite a few of them in jewellery shops - and they also come in halves!

Yes, I "got it" too, and thought I'd compare prices. I am now thoroughly confused! Looking at the 14 day July 14 Athens-Athens cruise on Odyssey, the itineraries quoted by Seabourn and "Gold Coin" are different. The latter has stops in Turkey. Am I going mad? :confused:

London to Europe

Prices and lack of availability changing daily.

Did the tanner ever appear in a precious metal

Sterling silver up to 1920 at which point it was debased to 50% sterling silver. In 1946, the silver circulation coinage ceased to have any silver content.

Interestingly, the tanner first appeared in the reign of Edward VI ( I own a rather nice Elizabeth I example dated 1561) and had a long and distinguished career even surviving a few years of decimilisation as a 2.5p piece before finally ceasing to be legal tender in 1980.

Just had a great deal

Very happy indeed

Can I ask what you class as a gigantic discount ? My agent gives me the Seabourn 5% and then between 10 - 12 % from her depending on cruise and when booked. If yours is better I will swap agents. 😀

Yes, I "got it" too, and thought I'd compare prices. I am now thoroughly confused! Looking at the 14 day July 14 Athens-Athens cruise on Odyssey, the itineraries quoted by Seabourn and "Gold Coin" are different. The latter has stops in Turkey. Am I going mad? :confused:

I see that "gold coin" website has now been corrected.

Sterling silver up to 1920 at which point it was debased to 50% sterling silver. In 1946, the silver circulation coinage ceased to have any silver content.

Interestingly, the tanner first appeared in the reign of Edward VI ( I own a rather nice Elizabeth I example dated 1561) and had a long and distinguished career even surviving a few years of decimilisation as a 2.5p piece before finally ceasing to be legal tender in 1980.

I knew I could rely on you.

Do you collect notes also

Sent from my iPad using Forums