Age of cruisers on Seabourn Quest in Antarctica

CanAmBrit

We are booked on the Seabourn Quest Miami to Buenos Areas Nov 4 2018 with 6 days in Antarctica. What are the usual ages of cruisers on this trip? We are fairly fit tennis/golf players in our 70's but I am wondering if this adventure maybe more challenging than we expect! My husband is getting cold feet and we have not left Florida yet.

I think I was 69 when we did this cruise with no problems at all, even climbed up a hill covered with snow then slide back down on our backsides like everybody else did. Figured that was the easiest way to get back down and it was fun. Should have tucked my jacket in though as I ended up with snow all up my back.

Nobody should miss a chance to go to Antarctica and once you have been there you will understand why

My husband and I were in our late 50's and early 60's when we went to Antarctica with Seabourn. However there were other passengers much older than us who put us to shame with their mobility! The expedition crew are wonderful and will help guests get into and out of the zodiacs. If you are already quite active and play sport I would think you would have little to no difficulty participating in all the activities, including kayaking if you wish. Some people chose to stay on board instead of doing zodiac tours and landings and seemed very happy to watch the adventures of others unfold. Antarctica was simply breathtaking - don't miss it!!!!!

Just getting off the Antarctica first cruise of 2018 and you’ll be fine. There was one child on board but most passengers were much older than us and the team looked after them well. There were people with walking aids who went ashore and they offered zodiac rides I believe if you weren’t able

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I encourage you to go - it is the most amazing experience and the staff really do make everything very easy. We had some people on our cruise who never went ashore but loved being there and some who just went ashore and sat among the penguins for the entire time. Others hiked up to the top of hills. You really can exert as much or as little as you want. There is really no better or easier way to see this amazing place. Doing it on an extended trip that includes the Panama canal and getting your sea legs long before the Drake sounds fabulous!! Don't let your husband talk you (or himself) out of it!! <G>

If you re fit enough to play tennis and golf, then you should certainly have no problem with the antarctic excursions - getting in and out of zodiacs, walking and standing ashore etc. It is only difficult for people who are not handicapped, but no longer good at standing and walking for any length of time; unlike other destinations, no coach to sit on, or park benches!

I fit the age demographic well enough ( am early 60's now) and have been tempted to do Antarctica, but then I look at pictures of bundled up people in the zodiaks sitting on the edges, (as you cannot actually sit *in* the craft) and wonder how they do not fall into the water if the zodiak goes over a water bump. I have trouble just sitting on a stationary bar stool without a back rest! :)

I fit the age demographic well enough ( am early 60's now) and have been tempted to do Antarctica, but then I look at pictures of bundled up people in the zodiaks sitting on the edges, (as you cannot actually sit *in* the craft) and wonder how they do not fall into the water if the zodiak goes over a water bump. I have trouble just sitting on a stationary bar stool without a back rest! :)

Hi cat lover. Believe me you’ve no need to worry and you would love it. I am mrs clumsy but they are very stable. Mostly it is at slow speeds and after a few minutes I was busy taking photos no hands. Only occasionally did I feel the need to hold the outer rope. If the winds and waves are high they won’t use them.

By the end I was kayaking too and despite my husbands foreboding I managed not to sink that either!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At least two blogs are currently being written on the Quest (12/20/17-1/13/18). Photos might provide “demographic” info.

https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions is the official Seabourn blog. It looks like it’s written by a different expedition team member each day.

https://vango.dreamwidth.org/ is written by Van Floyd, a passenger.

At least two blogs are currently being written on the Quest (12/20/17-1/13/18). Photos might provide “demographic” info.

https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions is the official Seabourn blog. It looks like it’s written by a different expedition team member each day.

https://vango.dreamwidth.org/ is written by Van Floyd, a passenger.

Thanks for sharing this information!

• 4 weeks later...
We are booked on the Seabourn Quest Miami to Buenos Areas Nov 4 2018 with 6 days in Antarctica. What are the usual ages of cruisers on this trip? We are fairly fit tennis/golf players in our 70's but I am wondering if this adventure maybe more challenging than we expect! My husband is getting cold feet and we have not left Florida yet.

We'll be joining you on the Quest in Lima assuming we continue in good health. We'll be 75 and 72 at sailing time, so forget those cold feet. Think we're relatively fit although my husband suffered a heart attack last year on our 5th day of skiing. Hope to get in some skiing this year without the helicopter ride to Colorado Springs. Looking forward to meeting you in November.

Looking forward to meeting you after Lima, hungrybirder.

We have enjoyed all the postings from the people on board, please keep them coming.

I am making a detailed list of necessary items to pack culled from all the info they are providing.

Looking forward to meeting you after Lima, hungrybirder.

We have enjoyed all the postings from the people on board, please keep them coming.

I am making a detailed list of necessary items to pack culled from all the info they are providing.

We'll have to compare packing lists as the cruise gets closer. I tend to travel light and living in Texas have a limited winter wardrobe. Hope my ski attire will work for the cold weather (which is anything under 60) . We're fine for the serious heat we'll encounter in Buenos Aires as we lived there for a couple of years and it will be just like a Texas summer.

Looking forward to staying in touch and meeting you once we get to Lima.

We were in the Antarctica a year ago and I remember all ages onboard. Some were in 20's! We went all the way up to the age where you don't want to ask the age anymore! Not that I would! As long as you are interested in a fantastic cruise to the most unique continent, you will be happy.