Handicap Boarding

Butterbean1000

I will be using a knee scooter and cane on our upcoming cruise. We've been stalking the website waiting for FTTF to reopen. Our TA said we really didn't need it because I'm considered "handicapped". What all does that entail? Does that mean our cabin will be ready when we board? I did contact Carnival's special needs department and they just told me everything will be taken care of when we check in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

I do not know if your cabin will be ready but you will be allowed to board first. At some ports there is a way to bypass the long ramp. Best way to get answers is by speaking with the Special Needs dept. I have traveled with my Mother and used the handicap services many times.

We were told we would be waiting in the VIP area, whatever that means. So I'm guessing we should still hope for FTTF.

Not sure about that. I didn’t see a HC section in the Priority lounge with us and they boarded in the order as above. Guess you’ll just have to wait and see. I agree with trying to get FTTF. Especially if having your cabin ready when you board is important and you want to get there before the cabins are ready.

We were told we would be waiting in the VIP area, whatever that means. So I'm guessing we should still hope for FTTF.

Not sure about that. I didn’t see a HC section in the Priority lounge with us and they boarded in the order as above. Guess you’ll just have to wait and see. I agree with trying to get FTTF. Especially if having your cabin ready when you board is important and you want to get there before the cabins are ready.

There used to be a designed waiting area in the general boarding so crew could find those who required them to push them aboard but it never is in the Priority Lounge. Assisted boarding also does not come with cabin ready as stated.

I recall a thread not too long ago about this, someone inquiring about it. The answer was that there was no special priority boarding for handicapped guests, nor was their room ready. If they wanted priority boarding and their room ready, they needed to purchase FTTF.

Have you cruised with your knee scooter before? I am curious. I just got one for my husband as a Christmas gift. He had knee surgery several years ago but it is still bad. They said he will need a knee replacement sooner than they had thought ( after they did the surgery). He is ok but can not walk long distances with out a lot of pain and stopping. We take a walking stick ( a foldable metal one ) with us but even with his brace and the stick he is still very slow and can not walk for long. I thought the knee scooter would be nice for walking around ports without all the pain.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I use a wheelchair and walker (my own) on the ship. Sometimes there is a special waiting area in the general boarding area (depending on the port), but never in priority boarding. They take special needs guests with their assigned boarding zone but at the front of that group. Your cabin is not ready for you unless you book FTTF. Be sure you register with special needs and go to guest services after you board to ask where special needs muster drill is held. He will be more comfortable there, and they will take his information in the event there is an emergency.

I will be using a knee scooter and cane on our upcoming cruise. We've been stalking the website waiting for FTTF to reopen. Our TA said we really didn't need it because I'm considered "handicapped". What all does that entail? Does that mean our cabin will be ready when we board? I did contact Carnival's special needs department and they just told me everything will be taken care of when we check in.

You don't need FTTF just tell them at check in and they will help you.

Hi Butterbean

If all that is important is to have your cabin when you board, my suggestion is to check in just after 1 p.m. The lines and waiting that are the norm earlier in the day are mostly gone by the. Boarding will have been going on for a couple of hours at least so you will be checking in pretty much right away and will board right away without significant waits. You should be on board soon after 1:30 p.m. at which time all cabins are typically ready and you will be able to go directly to them.

While it is very nice for someone from the "special needs dept." to say over the phone that "everything will be taken care of", I would personally not make too much of that. If you need assistance with a wheelchair they will provide someone that can push you onboard, but you would not typically not get preferred embarkation. It is always possible that someone might make it easier to get on board, but without FTTF your cabin would not be ready until around 1:30 p.m.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Have you cruised with your knee scooter before? I am curious. I just got one for my husband as a Christmas gift. He had knee surgery several years ago but it is still bad. They said he will need a knee replacement sooner than they had thought ( after they did the surgery). He is ok but can not walk long distances with out a lot of pain and stopping. We take a walking stick ( a foldable metal one ) with us but even with his brace and the stick he is still very slow and can not walk for long. I thought the knee scooter would be nice for walking around ports without all the pain.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I have not. I've already had 2 arthroscopic hip surgeries this past year. I am waiting on a hip replacement. Crutches are awful and you can't carry anything. My doc suggested I get a knee scooter. I use a cane for very short walks. But if I have a lot of walking to do, then I use the scooter. I don't see myself being able to even take this cruise (which has been booked for a while) without the knee scooter.

No, your cabin will not be ready just because you are handicapped but you will be able to board earlier.

I recall a thread not too long ago about this, someone inquiring about it. The answer was that there was no special priority boarding for handicapped guests, nor was their room ready. If they wanted priority boarding and their room ready, they needed to purchase FTTF.

Our experience in April. Pride out of Baltimore. Two in our party needed wheelchair assistance. We had FTTF. Found someone at the door (bypassing the line) to get us wheelchairs which took us after check in to the waiting area. They took the wheelchairs away. Started boarding and we sat, and sat and sat, and finally when the room was basically empty, they came back with two wheelchairs for them. So much for FTTF and priority boarding! They take you through the crew entrance to the Atrium so you don't have to go up the long ramp. Our rooms were ready when we boarded, but once again we had FTTF.

i doing a 10 day journey cruise out of NYC next year. Because it is a journey cruise, there is no FTTF. will boarding be different?

i am sailing out of NYC and when Norwegian cruises out of this terminal, they have a small section for handicap and wheelchair assistance. I do not know why Carnival does not use that area of the terminal.

No, your cabin will not be ready just because you are handicapped but you will be able to board earlier.

My DH always has wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation. We've never been able to board early. We alert someone in a CCL uniform that he needs the help (our TA alerts Carnival prior to our cruise) and even if they do bring a chair and take us through check-in fairly quickly we have always had to wait afterwards in a "holding area" for our turn to have one of the few chairs and pushers take him aboard. In fact I don't think we have ever boarded before anyone who arrived at the terminal at the same time we did.:) .... but for someone who cannot make it up the ramps to board it's a blessing to have the help.

My DH always has wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation. We've never been able to board early. We alert someone in a CCL uniform that he needs the help (our TA alerts Carnival prior to our cruise) and even if they do bring a chair and take us through check-in fairly quickly we have always had to wait afterwards in a "holding area" for our turn to have one of the few chairs and pushers take him aboard. In fact I don't think we have ever boarded before anyone who arrived at the terminal at the same time we did.:) .... but for someone who cannot make it up the ramps to board it's a blessing to have the help.

This matched our experience.