Military operation in Jamaica

stuart3380

Good evening

I work for a tour operator in the uk and we have just recently received this information. I am sailing on Escape in a few weeks and I am wondering if Norwegian would be skipping Falmouth if this unrest continues.

The ABTA Destinations team are monitoring the military operation that is currently underway in the St James parish of Jamaica.

We understand that the Government have declared a State of Emergency in St James Parish which includes Montego Bay, in response to recent violence including shooting incidents.

Jamaica: FCO Travel Advice Update

The FCO has updated its travel advice for Jamaica with an update to the Summary - St James Parish which includes Montego Bay, in response to recent violence including shooting incidents

The relevant extract of the advice is below for your reference:

Summary

A State of Emergency has been declared in St James Parish which includes Montego Bay. This will lead to more intensive law enforcement activities in response to recent violence including shooting incidents. You should follow local advice including restrictions in selected areas, and exercise particular care if travelling at night. Tourists should stay in their resorts and limit travel beyond their respective security perimeters. Travel to and from the airport or for excursions should be undertaken with organised tour operators, and transport should be arranged or provided by the resort hotels.

Local media have reported that a major military operation is underway in parts of St James. This may result in road closures and travel delays. You should exercise caution if you’re in the area.

The overall level of FCO advice for Jamaica has not changed. There are no restrictions within the advice.

View the FCO travel advice for Jamaica in full here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/jamaic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for sharing that - US DOS has an updated Security Alert, issued/dated 18th of January 2018 - as followed

https://jm.usembassy.gov/security-alert-u-s-embassy-kingston-jamaica-january-18-2018/

It's like those warnings & alerts issued for areas of Mexico ... cruiselines and ships are still sailing, probably won't know until one get closer to the sail date. Surely, the risk assessments are ongoing and the various operations desk are kept on their toes.

Thanks to all who posted links. What is the thinking of people who will have Jamaica as a port stop within the next few weeks? Are people deciding to stay on the ship or restrict their movements to just the port area? Feel sorry for the law abiding citizens who are caught up in all of this.

Jamaica has not been safe for years.
I agree, my first cruise why to Jamaica and I was a newbie to cruising. I would never go back no offense to anyone. If I booked a cruise that stopped there I would stay on the ship.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks to all who posted links. What is the thinking of people who will have Jamaica as a port stop within the next few weeks? Are people deciding to stay on the ship or restrict their movements to just the port area? Feel sorry for the law abiding citizens who are caught up in all of this.

We will be cruising in 3 weeks. Scary. I am cancelling our river tubing excursion.

We are traveling next month. We were going to one of the All Inclusive day resorts and we have changed our minds. Stepping outside of the Falmouth gates and walking the few minutes to meet our ride is too dangerous in my opinion.

There is a MargaritaVille in port and we might go to the pool there, but honestly, I have heard reports on this site that didn't make me feel safe, so we will play it by ear. Staying on the ship sounds like a great idea to me:):)

Safe travels everyone!!!

We were to go there on a cruise that leaves in a week. I had planned to step outside the gate and get a cab and go to Burwood Beach. I thought I finally had a plan. I had shoulder surgery not too long ago so I am limited to what I can do. Now I am unsure what to do. If this is such a dangerous situation, wouldn't the cruiseline find another port to go to? Also, how far from Falmouth has this violent activity been taking place? Thank you for all your information. :)

We were to go there on a cruise that leaves in a week. I had planned to step outside the gate and get a cab and go to Burwood Beach. I thought I finally had a plan. I had shoulder surgery not too long ago so I am limited to what I can do. Now I am unsure what to do. If this is such a dangerous situation, wouldn't the cruiseline find another port to go to? Also, how far from Falmouth has this violent activity been taking place? Thank you for all your information. :)

Looks like it's about an hour away from Falmouth

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We weren't getting off the ship (next week) before the latest warnings. There have been ongoing warnings and I did some research when NCL added Falmouth after they removed (2) ports (St Lucia and Barbados) NOT affected by the hurricane.

I didn't like what I read regarding several issues, but I thought it was very telling that RCCL and Celebrity pulled some of their ships out in July. I thought it was interesting that RCCL provided the funding for the port. I have read a few times that they have a weak police force and are lax regarding enforcement of the laws, but I have no idea if it's fact.

I have been to Jamaica and would not book a cruise with it listed as a port. It is not only a safety concern. No place is 100% safe. I have no desire to browse the port area either; prices are high and I don't like being swarmed with beggars. IMO, they could do something about the begging/harassment.

We weren't getting off the ship (next week) before the latest warnings. There have been ongoing warnings and I did some research when NCL added Falmouth after they removed (2) ports (St Lucia and Barbados) NOT affected by the hurricane.

I didn't like what I read regarding several issues, but I thought it was very telling that RCCL and Celebrity pulled some of their ships out in July. I thought it was interesting that RCCL provided the funding for the port. I have read a few times that they have a weak police force and are lax regarding enforcement of the laws, but I have no idea if it's fact.

I have been to Jamaica and would not book a cruise with it listed as a port. It is not only a safety concern. No place is 100% safe. I have no desire to browse the port area either; prices are high and I don't like being swarmed with beggars. IMO, they could do something about the begging/harassment.

I didn’t pick this itinerary either. We were supposed to be an eastern cruise but it was changed after the hurricanes. I’ve been to Jamaica twice. Once on a cruise stop and once at an all inclusive. I never had any issues and the people were very friendly. Yes some of them beg for tips but that happens in many carribean countries. I will not get off the ship with all this happening.

We’ve been to Jamaica twice and never felt any issues. The last time was for thanksgiving into Falmouth... did a cruise excursion to one of the beach day trips. Only complaint was the length of the trip and that it rained most of the time.

I imagine the cruise ships will not substitute a port in the next few weeks. You will likely have a sea day instead. Jamaica's police force has been reported as ineffective and can't be counted on to do much of anything if you run into problems. I've been there just once, was very unimpressed and would not seek to go there again.

I imagine the cruise ships will not substitute a port in the next few weeks. You will likely have a sea day instead. Jamaica's police force has been reported as ineffective and can't be counted on to do much of anything if you run into problems. I've been there just once, was very unimpressed and would not seek to go there again.

That’s what I am worried about. I was in Falmouth about 2 years ago. Did an excursion and remember a long drive across the countryside to get there. Didn’t think much about it at the time and the people were friendly on the excursion. With not much of a police presence I worry about the bus getting into trouble with these gangs they are dealing with. They must be scattering away from the main affected area by now with all that is taking place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica#Crime

Crime

Main article: Crime in Jamaica

See also: Prisons in Jamaica and LGBT rights in Jamaica

When Jamaica gained independence in 1962, the murder rate was 3.9 per 100,000 inhabitants, one of the lowest in the world. By 2009, the rate was 62 per 100,000 inhabitants, one of the highest in the world.[69] Jamaica has had one of the highest murder rates in the world for many years, according to UN estimates.[70][71] Some areas of Jamaica, particularly cities such as Kingston, experience high levels of crime and violence.[72] Some Jamaicans are hostile towards LGBT and intersex people,[73] and there have been reported cases of mob attacks against gay people.[74][75][76]

However, there were 1,682 reported murders in 2009 and 1,428 in 2010.[citation needed] Since 2011 the murder rate continued to fall following the downward trend in 2010 after a strategic programme was launched.[77] In 2012, the Ministry of National Security reported a 30 percent decrease in murders.[78] Nevertheless, in 2017 murders rose by 22% over the previous year.[79]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica#Crime

Crime

Main article: Crime in Jamaica

See also: Prisons in Jamaica and LGBT rights in Jamaica

When Jamaica gained independence in 1962, the murder rate was 3.9 per 100,000 inhabitants, one of the lowest in the world. By 2009, the rate was 62 per 100,000 inhabitants, one of the highest in the world.[69] Jamaica has had one of the highest murder rates in the world for many years, according to UN estimates.[70][71] Some areas of Jamaica, particularly cities such as Kingston, experience high levels of crime and violence.[72] Some Jamaicans are hostile towards LGBT and intersex people,[73] and there have been reported cases of mob attacks against gay people.[74][75][76]

However, there were 1,682 reported murders in 2009 and 1,428 in 2010.[citation needed] Since 2011 the murder rate continued to fall following the downward trend in 2010 after a strategic programme was launched.[77] In 2012, the Ministry of National Security reported a 30 percent decrease in murders.[78] Nevertheless, in 2017 murders rose by 22% over the previous year.[79]

Wow those are interesting and crazy statistics. They better get there act together because the cruise ships and the passengers will cease to go there in the future. I can see the cruise lines completely pulling out of the country altogether. Thanks for the post, eye opening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk